It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
(female)

Dede12438 HB User
Right Swollen Tonsil only, could it be cancer?

Can anyone tell me if they believe this could be tonsil cancer

-right tonsil abnormally enlarged for about a year or so (left tonsil fine)

-painful/tender and swollen lymph node in right neck and right armpit that showed up a few weeks ago ( about 2 weeks)

-a speck of white on swollen right tonsil but not to noticeable

-no signs of irritation as in no pain, don't feel swollen tonsil and can eat with no problems.

-have had some shortness of breath but went to the ER and was told it was due my chest pains

-have gotten little bumps in my mouth from time to time but usually goes away after I pick at it.

-felt extremely fatigued a couple weeks ago but attributed that ro being a full time college student and part time worker.

-no other serious symptoms other then occasional flu, but no serious pain, no weight loss ( actually gained quite a few pounds)

I am a 19 year old African American female who has been sexually active and does worry about HPV Cancer in the mouth. Non-smoker and occasional (but very rare) drinker. I am also NOT insured at the moment.

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-05-2013, 12:12 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: Right Swollen Tonsil only, could it be cancer?

You are basically healthy, but stressed and anxious. I presume that you have had the doctor look at your tonsil. If it has been enlarged for two years and not done anything else, then that is good. Some people have larger tonsils and one being larger than the other is by and large not significant, especially if it has been like that long term. Nothing we say here can substitute for a medical examination, so maybe you have a walk in clinic or something where you can go for a check. Sera

The Following User Says Thank You to Seraph For This Useful Post:
Dede12438 (07-05-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2013, 08:01 PM   #3
(male)

August59 HB User
Re: Right Swollen Tonsil only, could it be cancer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dede12438 View Post

-painful/tender and swollen lymph node in right neck and right armpit that showed up a few weeks ago ( about 2 weeks)

-no signs of irritation as in no pain, don't feel swollen tonsil and can eat with no problems.
You have contradicting symptoms in your post sort of. Is the only thing displaying pain the lymph node in your armpit? There is no swelling or pain on right tonsil, but there is "white spot" present.

I just got through with cancer in my throat on the right side. I still have tonsils or did. My cancer was found by pure accident. I have BPPV and I was having Epley maneuvers done. He was having me were a small thin soft neck collar. He was putting it on when he noticed significantly enlarged lymph node under jaw next to right mandible bone. There is a cluster of 3 lymph nodes I believe right below where the tonsils are. The large one feeds out to front of jaw, to the tonsil and then feeds towards up the back of the neck.

Search Yahoo and Google and look under images and you can find a lot of lymph node diagrams. The tonsil is actually a lymph node.

Don't let this go on as it is potentially dangerous. The doctor will probably biopsy the inflamed lymph node or have a PET/CT Scan done of the entire area to look for spreading.

The HPV virus could play a role in it. It did in mine, but there are professional thoughts that believe HPV is not completely a sexual borne or transmitted disease. I was 53 years old when I got diagnosed and my wife and I had been estranged since October 2000 without any sexual activity a all. HPV is also 100% transferred from mother to fetus during delivery. If it is HPV and you have it taken care of, the good thing is it will never infect the opposite side. They have know answer for this one.

They removed my tonsils within a week of finding the swollen lymph node. He removed a very large area of tissue around my right tonsil and he said as soon as he started removal he could tell it was cancerous. Both tonsils went to pathology and he had removed as much of the tissue around right tonsil as possible and luckily all of the margins were negative. The left tonsil did not has any cancer at all. After 3 weeks of healing I underwent 37 sessions of radiation treatment on right lymph node. As of my last PET/CT Scan I was 100% clear.

The right tonsil was a viral cancer. It was HPV version 16 which version 16 and 18 are the only two that cause cancer, but there are close to a hundred mutations of this virus. The ironic thing is that the tumors that have virus embedded in them are very easy to treat. They almost melt like sugar when they are exposed to radiation. Over 90% of the population is HPV positive now just like the mono virus, chicken pox and many, many more.

Take care of it ASAP. I would find a good Eye, Ear, Nose & Throat doctor. I wish you the best of luck and I will be praying for you!!

Last edited by August59; 08-14-2013 at 08:11 PM. Reason: addition

Reply Reply