It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2004, 04:19 AM   #1

rebekkabobekka HB User
thyroid cancer

It's been awhile since I posted here..but my last post I had said that I had half my thyroid out and that everything was benign.. well I went and had my staples out last week..and was told that further testing has shown that I have follicular Carcinoma... now they are going to go back in and take the rest out...I am so upset... I don't know where to turn..or what to expect..what do I need to know...how serious is this... I am so scared...
any advice would be very helpful..Thanks so much
Rebekka

Old 04-10-2004, 01:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Re: thyroid cancer

I've been off line for a couple of weeks. I've been thinking of you and praying for you as I knew you were having the surgery.
Cancer is probably one of the scariest words in any language. But please remember that this is a highly treatable cancer. The success rate for thyroid cancer is the best of any cancer-greater than 90%.
When do they want to do the surgery?
Oh Rebekka, {{{{{{hugs}}}}}} to you. I wish there were something I could say or do to relieve your fears and anxiety. You are in my prayers that's for sure.
I'm not sure if Bluesnowflake still reads the boards but the same thing happened to her. You could also post to Nehria. She went through something similar I believe.
I haven't had the surgery or cancer so I don't know what to tell you as far as that goes but I'll be here if you need a shoulder to cry on and an ear to listen.
Barb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2004, 02:20 PM   #3

rebekkabobekka HB User

Thanks so much Barb!

I guess I just let my fear of dying get the best of me... I am doing better now...They are going to take the other half of my thyroid out in June... I just had the right side out almost 2 weeks ago... I am glad to know that it is treatable... and that I should be ok..I guess the stresses of life and all just get to me... Thank u for your thoughts and prayers...

Rebekka

Old 04-10-2004, 07:06 PM   #4
(female)

stardust39 HB User

Hello,
I had Thyroid cancer back in 02, You can read my story in the my story thread under marv63 .. I had a total in May 02 and RAI in June 02.. Had my 1 year scan done last year and all was well... I am going in next month for my 2 year scan... I felt the same way you do when I found out I had cancer... It was so hard to grasp for me... You will also be in my prayers as well and after you read my story if you have any questions..Please feel free to ask... Here is the link
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=106131[/url]
You will also find alot of info in the information archive here is the link for that as well
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=106126[/url]
Hope this helps..... God Bless,Mars

Old 04-10-2004, 09:55 PM   #5

rebekkabobekka HB User
Question Re: thyroid cancer

Thanks Mars, my doc has decided it is safe to wait till June for my second surgery... said that the cancer was less than 1cm.. said it was the only thing on the right side..aside from my nodule...which was benign.. he said that follicular carcinoma is very slow growing so it would be fine to wait till june..said he doesn't think there is any on the other side but he won't know till it comes out... I am driving everyone crazy worrying over this... since he took the right side out I have been filling like crap.... first of all i can't move my head cuz it hurts...I guess I got use to it being in the one position for so long that after sleepin on it for awhile it got stiff..lol But every night after I get my shower I get out and get so cold...to the point where i shake so bad..and i get sick to my stomach..and depressed..and i wanna cry all the time..or if my husband says something alittle louder than usual i wanna cry..thats all i get done anymore...is cryin! I just feel Blah! and I don't understand why.... I can't sleep... and everything turns my stomach..is all this normal?
Thanks so much for everyone listening to me whine!
rebekka

Old 04-11-2004, 05:47 AM   #6
(female)

stardust39 HB User

Hello,
I felt the same as you do,It took me awhile to get back to Normal(if there is such a thing) I had mine out all at once and went Hypo real fast,Then was that way tell I had my RAI and then 6 weeks after that I went back on meds and it took me over a year to feel ok... I still have bad days,But I have been trying to loss weight and so far have taken off 33 1/2 pounds in the last 10 weeks... I am real happy about that .... I still have 40 pounds to go..... I was told meds need to change every 20 pounds lost,not sure if thats true or not . I am just going to wait tell I hit my goal.. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask... You have a wonderful day.. Mars

Old 04-11-2004, 12:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

Yes of course this is very normal. You just had half of your thyroid removed. Whatever thyroid hormone that side was producing is no longer being produced. The cells in your body need time to adjust as does the remaining part of your thyroid. Your hormones are all way out of whack because of your thyroid. My suggestion to you is take time for yourself every day. Set aside some time where you can take a nap, pray, meditate, sit in the bathtub, whatever will give you the rest you need and give your brain the downtime it needs. Try your best to focus on the positive. I know it's hard but this will help you a lot.
Depression is very typical with hypothyroidism. I was suicidal when my TSH was at 8.6.
It's a really tough thing you're going through now. You'll make it through just fine. It'll take a while for you to feel better but you will. I'm sure of that.
I'm sending you my catchy yawns so hopefully you'll get a good night's rest tonight.
Barb

Old 04-11-2004, 03:01 PM   #8

jsturg HB User

I just had my right side out this past Wednesday and I am anxiously waiting to hear the results. I know what you are going through. It's like the great "unknown"..seems like so many people react differently to the surgery, meds etc. That's the hardest part.
Please keep us updated !!
Good Luck,
Jen

Old 04-11-2004, 03:21 PM   #9

rebekkabobekka HB User

Happy Easter everyone!!

I feel alittle better today..actually helped hubby clean the house... I guess I will have good and bad days...I am sure it'll get worse after they take the left side out but I'll worry about that when it happens... Thanks for the yawns..i am tired just looking at them...lol....
Hope everything is going great for everyone today!
Rebekka

Old 04-11-2004, 06:30 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

bluesnowflake HB User

Hi Rebekka,
As Bosmon mentioned, the same thing happened to me. I had a partial done in August of last year, and never expected to come back cancerous. Throughout the previous years, my FNA results were always benign. 8 weeks after the surgery, I was phoned and told it was cancer. My immediate reaction was tears and the unknown. I was pretty okay with it, but I had my moments when I realized how little I or the doctors knew about what was still left in me. I had my second surgery in January ( I waited a while too, at first my oconologist said it would be safe to wait until April- after I was finished school, then my surgeon, gp and endo demanded I get it out asap since it was so unknown). The second surgery was postponed because I was sick, and I was absolutely dreading getting it done again as the first surgery took 5 weeks to recover from because of infections. But RELIEF!!! The second surgery went awesome, I was back on my feet that night instead of three days later. And I have been taking cytomel for a while, but I had to go off of it 3 weeks prior my whole body scan. During that time, I was depressed and angry and all sorts of moods conflicted with my non moving body and terrible skin/cold tolerance, etc. I had RAI treatment done on the 17th of February, and since then I have been just regulating my meds. It's taking a while, very frustrating at times but I know that it was all for the good and so be it.

What I reccommend for you is to get a GOOD, trustworthy network of doctors to help you along this illness. Talk to your main doctor and ask him what will all the procedures will be, what he thinks is best, and get him to understand that he can't assume you are okay with everything he tells you. My biggest problem during my expereince was having many of the doctors minimize things that I didn't fully understand. I had a wonderful support group of friends, they really helped me out. Make sure people whom you spend a lot of time with understand what your body will be going through when you are off meds and are becoming extremly hypo. I thought at times I would go crazy pretending I knew how to simply answer the phone. My judgement was affected a great deal, it was distasterous in some cases . Humourous now, scary then.

I hope you have a safe and short journey ahead of you, just remember that life goes on, and how you respond to it is important, take breaks, rest, cry, laugh, go out more then you should, spend time with people you want to instead of whom you have to, and look at the sky with your chin up high. It's not life threatening, but it sure teaches a great lesson. In a way, I am glad I had this lesson so young, and lets hope this is the ONLY lesson we ever need to be taught.

Good luck and lots of love, alexis

blue

Old 04-11-2004, 08:01 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wow Alexis! You sound so much better now than you did before. I'm so happy to see you're still lurking around here.
Rebekka, now that you know Alexis' story, let me tell you that she's a great person to come to for comfort, encouragement, information and advice. She's one of the people here who I hold a special place in my heart for. She helped me get through some rough times.
And Alexis, please just give us a shout out every once in a while to let us know that you're still with us-on the boards, I mean.
Barb

Old 04-12-2004, 12:22 PM   #12

nehria HB User

Hi, Rebekka

I also had a full removal of my thyroid in Dec. Tha biopey came back benign, but I still felt something was wrong so I had surgery. When they opened me up they noticed a spot that needed futher looking into, It came back as a 3 cm tumor. I had the radiation which was fine the only thing I didnt like was the seclucion from my kids for a week, but all was ok, I had the full body scan which was long just because the machine was not working.. the scan came back with the radiation in my lungs, but they are having me wait until aug to get another scan. Don't let my experience with the radiation stop you from getting a different option. I would get the second surgery when you are up to it.. Having the thyroid removed is a scary thing..but all will go well and don't be to scared thyroid cancer is a better recovery rate.

Old 04-14-2004, 10:21 AM   #13

rebekkabobekka HB User

Thanks everyone...
I spoke with my doctor yesterday..he said get plenty of rest and dribk lots of water and try to relax... I took a leave of abscence from work..I can't deal with the elderly if I am feeling like crap... the don't deserve me in a crabby mood... I guess this will give me some time to get some of the things i needed to do done while I wait for my next surgery... NOW, Is follicular cancer the type that may turn up again years down the road..or is it once it's gone it's gone? Thanks
rebekka

Last edited by rebekkabobekka; 04-15-2004 at 07:02 PM.

Closed Thread