It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2003, 05:13 PM   #1

tammyg HB User
Post thyroid cancer spread to esophagus

I hope someone can help. My mother who is 73 has thyroid cancer that has spread to her esophagus. She has had her lifetime limit of radiation and radioactive iodine treatments did not work. The doctors say the tumor is inbetween her esophagus and her windpipe and will eventually grow into both. The surgery they suggest is radical (cervical exteneration-has anyone heard of it?) and would basically remove everything in her neck-if she survives. Has anyone gone through something like this before--any suggestions or treatments I can pursue? Please help-I'm desperate.

Old 02-24-2003, 09:56 PM   #2

ysone HB User
I am sorry to hear about your mother. I would like to recommend two books for you to read before you make any further decisions about your mother's treatment. The first one is "Beating Cancer With Nutrition" by Dr. Patrick Quillin and the second is "Alive and Well" by Dr. Philip E. Binzel, Jr. Another good author is Ralph W. Moss,PhD., a leading cancer researcher. He has his own website about cancer decisions, both conventional and alternative. Please check these out. Good Luck to you and your mother.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2003, 01:16 PM   #3

Copsdoll HB User
Smile

Hello, I too am sorry to hear about the ordeal with your mother.

My father had esopogeal (sorry about spelling) cancer that had spread to one lymph node. His cancer was advanced so he didn't have the chances your mother might have. Due to medical mistakes, my father passed away.

What I will suggest to you is please, read all of the information you can on this type of cancer. It is few and far between because it is somewhat rare. Also, make sure you trust your mother's doctors. My father's surgery was all done so quickly and looking back, I wish I had stopped and asked more questions.

Also, if your mother has a shorter neck, make sure they intubate her properly if they do surgery on her. My father had a different type of surgery than what was suggested for your mother and he had a shorter neck and the doctor that intubated him didn't do it correctly causing the first of many problems.

Basically, make sure you know what is going on with her condition every step of the way. Do not let the doctors push you aside. Get answers to all of your questions. If you have have any doubts about anything, get them cleared up. I want every person that has this type of cancer to have the chance of survival that my father never did.

I hope this helps!

Old 03-16-2003, 02:30 PM   #4

tammyg HB User
Thank you for your reply. I'm so sorry about your father. I hope we can find an anwer for my mother. She will not have the surgery but thanks for your advice about surgery. I'll keep looking--I've find some interesting leads about alternative treatments.
Thanks again.

Old 03-16-2003, 02:33 PM   #5

tammyg HB User
I have to say sorry to you YSONE. I didn't know I could reply to any replys I got on my posting. I don't know if you checked back but thank you for the tips on the books. I got a lot of interesting information from searching about Ralph W. Moss and his book and beliefs about cancer treatments. I hope one will be successful for us. Sorry it took me so long to reply and thanks to you again.

Old 03-17-2003, 08:28 AM   #6

ysone HB User
Tammyg,
I'm glad you found some helpful information. I hope it will be of some help your mother. Best of Luck to you both. Y

Closed Thread