It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2005, 11:43 AM   #1

Colomolo HB User
How common is Thyroid cancer really?

Is Thyroid cancer on the increase? I found out that a friend of mine had Thyroid cancer, I now keep hearing about it. Then read yesterday that Tom Cruises girlfriend had it.

I know keep coming across it.

Old 02-25-2005, 01:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User
Re: How common is Thyroid cancer really?

Hi,
I was dx'd with thyroid cancer in 2003 and it seems like since I was dx'd, I keep hearing about more and more people who have(or have had) thyroid cancer. I had never even heard of anyone having this type of cancer before I was dx'd. Now, I heard a girl I went to school with was dx'd w/ thyroid cancer this year, a lady that used to work with my mom was dx'd a few months ago, and another lady who my mom knows was also dx'd with thyroid cancer recently. I've heard of several other people who I don't know, but live in my area who have recently had thyroid cancer, as well. It's strange. It says on all of the sites how rare this type of cancer is, but it doesn't seem to be all that uncommon...does it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2005, 01:50 PM   #3

Colomolo HB User

Yes exactly, makes me wonder if its on the increase and if so why. I had a chat with someone today who said its one area which doesnt get the funding in the same way breast cancer and other types do. I think most of us have experienced the 'inexperience' of doctors working in this field that doesnt make me feel very confident.

Maybe because I know about it now Im more aware of it but the way doctors make it sound is as if its some sort of very rare illness yet I keep coming across it now.

Old 02-25-2005, 03:30 PM   #4
(female)

skewch HB User

I wonder if maybe we're hearing more about it is because of the better testing methods. Doctors are recognizing symptoms, performing FNAs etc and I think most people who get dx'd, are getting early diagnosis and treatment, which is a good thing. You have to wonder how many people go undiagnosed and then when their thyroids get too enlarged, they are totally removed and then cancer is detected at that time, and we have all heard that once that 'roid is out, the cure rate is very high.

I also think a good analogy to this is when you buy a new car, you start seeing how many other people have the very same car as you

Closed Thread