It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2005, 12:11 PM   #1
(female)

storms_refuge HB User
question on thyroid cancer

I had a biopsy on a thyroid nodule and am awaiting results. This may have been better posted on the thyroid board but I seem to get more responses here. Anyway, I have a lymph node on my neck and now a newer one near my underarm area. If thyroid cancer is diagnosed and has spread to nodes, does the 95% cure rate still hold true, or does that change the outlook for thyroid cancer patients? Also does thyroid cancer spread to other organs such as lungs, liver, etc.?

Old 03-08-2005, 06:42 PM   #2
(female)

cem9532 HB User
Re: question on thyroid cancer

i of course dont know your exact situation, but i will share with you my husbands story and info he has received from his dr., that may put you at ease.
he was diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer in nov of 04. in dec he had his total thyroid removed. when he met with his endocronologist she suggested he have radioactive iodine treatment. a pill to kill remaining thyroid tissue and it is suppose to find and kill any cancer tissue anywhere else in the body that it may have spread. i know it can spread to lungs and of course lymphnodes and im not sure where else. she told us that she has never had a patient die from this cancer. she said that even if it spreads, you can do the radioactive iodine treatment as many times as needed. unlike radiation or chemo for other types of cancer. to here a dr. say "people just dont die from this type of cancer,even if it spreads" was conforting to us. so i believe when they say that s is the best kind of cancer that you can get if your going to get one , i think they are right.
by the way he is 27. dr said uncommon for a man to get or for anyone under 30 to get. but from some of the stuff ive read it doesnt seem to be that rare.
i hope somehow this may help you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread