It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2007, 08:18 AM   #1
(female)

ncmtgl HB User
thyroid cancer common?

On the 25th of this month I am having the rest of my thyroid removed because the biopsy came back positive.
However I am wondering if there is a rise in this type of cancer. I had never even heard of it before being so common. Now in my Bible study class of 45, there are 3 of us with it. And there is one who just had a negative biopsy (we are all very happy for her)
Are these statistics a little out of sight?

This page has been the most helpful to me since last October when I started with all the tests. Thank you all so much for your help and answers

Norma

Last edited by ncmtgl; 01-15-2007 at 08:20 AM.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: thyroid cancer common?

Yes, there was an article back a few months that the American Cancer Society said there was an increase in cases---although I don't recall the percentage.

Also, it tends to hit women, often late thirties and up, so it's quite possible that on top of that increase, your demographic of your bible group is the target for thyroid cancer as well.

I used to sit there and wonder what caused mine, now that the ordeal is over for a few years, I don't think about that aspect any longer. The silver lining about the women in your group affected is that you have a support group.

Wishing you a quick and easy and successful surgery!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2007, 03:27 PM   #3
(female)

likeabirdie HB User

My Naturopath and Endo are seeing an increase in thyroid issues and both wondered at the exposure we are recieving to Chernobyl. I'm 42 and fall right in the middle of demographics, but Hashimotos and thyroid are often genetic and thats not at all with my gene pool. I still have the left side of my thyroid but with the hashimotos it may not be worth much for too much longer.
^^Robin

Old 01-15-2007, 08:18 PM   #4
(female)

ncmtgl HB User

Thank you both for your responses, greatly appreciated. I guess I just have not been in this age group before LOL our group is all between 55 to 70
Oh these golden years

Old 01-16-2007, 03:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Archie343 HB User

One factor may be the ability to diagnose thyroid cancers better today than in the past. Papillary and Follicular (the two most common types) rarely kill and I'm sure many of our ancestors died of other causes while carrying one of those, undiagnosed, to their graves.

Closed Thread