It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2007, 09:39 AM   #1
(female)

11marie11 HB User
Thyroid Cancer - Surgery Wait list - Opinions?

Hello,

I was diagnosed last week with Papillary Thyroid Cancer. My nodule is 8 mm and I have two enlarged lymph nodes in neck. I also have some chest pain but I don't know if that is related to the cancer or my anxiety. I am 37 mom of two littles ones. The problem is the three top surgeons I have seen in Boston have a wait list of three to four months. So as of now, I have NO surgery date. They are looking for cancellations etc and said they would get back to me. Is this TOO long to wait? Will it spread a lot till then? Also, they said to me that most Pap Cancers are slow growing but not all. So, how do they know Mine Isn't a fast growing one? I feel like I am taking a chance here by waiting. Do you think I am?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2007, 09:56 AM   #2
(female)

kwebster HB User
Re: Thyroid Cancer - Surgery Wait list - Opinions?

11marie:
Wow! That's a tough question. I tool was told pap cancer is slow growing but not all are - like you said. There is no way to know for sure unless they biopsy it during surgery. The FNB only gives a limited cell sampling. I had pa cancer and I know I wanted it out of me ASAP!! The thought of it possibly growing really freaked me out.

You seem to have it under control about getting on lists and waiting lists. I like you have two small children. I wrote a letter to the surgeon about getting it done earlier to coordinate RAI so as not to disturb my family life (school, day care, etc). It at least made me feel better. It did get my surgery moved up. It might help you as well.

Keep us informed!

Kathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2007, 11:06 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

I have a feeling it's more emotionally nervewracking than dangerous.

I got into my surgeon, and then waited 2 months for my surgery, and my surgeon said it was not dangerous at all to wait.

That being said, I would try to either, a, speak to one of the nurses (make friends, make sure she knows you have cancer---the word has odd powers), and ask her if you could fax your path. results for the surgeon to look at, and check if he thinks if it's okay for you to wait for 4 months. Then fax it immediately, and call early the next morning and also leave a message for the surgeon. Sometimes the staff blocks you from speaking to the surgeon, when the surgeon would get you in.

I think if the surgeon his/her self knows that there is a confirmed thyroid cancer patient waiting---someone with a positive biopsy, not someone who is in the process of being diagnosed, if this is a surgeon that works with thyroid cancer patients often, s/he will make an opening to at least see you and then set up the surgery.

Another way to get in, is to ask your endo. (tell him you can't get in for 4 months) to try to help, or your primary doc, or any friends you have that are doctors. That technique got my mom to a very top, booked, surgeon last year.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

hi to both of you and im so sorry to hear your problems i think they should give you a date asap as this is added worry for you left in the lurch!
i have been having probs in my neck i was hypo and have gone hyper??? i have pain in the left sisde of my neck and it feels in flammed and i get like thyroiditid attacks and my whole thyroid swells up spose it is like a small goiter?? can you trell me how you discovered it and what symptoms you had to go thyrough im just on edge waiting to see this endo i have 3 small kids who i love dearly and im in the dark i have researced and had a lot of help but did you both have lumps and nodules that they could feel or could you feel it thanks so much for any input and good luck to both of you with the surgery and the dates what tests did you have to have???? lots of love and kind regards to you love from katpurszxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 01-18-2007, 01:42 PM   #5
(female)

11marie11 HB User

Hello,

I had a lump in my throat. Then an ultrasound, then a biospy which was positive. I did not have any other symptoms besides major anxiety.

Closed Thread