It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2007, 01:08 PM   #1
(female)

momof2girlsaa HB User
Thyroid cancer

Hello, I am new here and was wondering if anyone can help me. I am 28 yrs. old and went to the doc for a regular check up and she said my thyroid was a little swollen. I went and had alot of blood work done a cbc, ths, ect. and everything came back normal. My lymp node in my neck is also swollen as well and sometimes I get this funny feeling in my right ear and a pain in my neck but it is not all the time. My doc is wanting to do a Thyroid uptake scan but isnt really telling me the reason for that. If anyone could give me any idea what might be going on or why she wanting to do this test I would really appriciate it .Thanks.

Old 04-14-2007, 07:03 PM   #2
(female)

Skyye HB User
Re: Thyroid cancer

Hi,

I was coming here to learn more about Thyroid Cancer as my 35 y/o sister was recently diagnosed with it. My sister began noticing she was losing a lot of hair and always felt drained of energy. She also complained of her body aching. She went to see her dr who noticed her thyroid was swollen. She had a scan then some fluid drained for a biopsy which came back positive for papillary type cancer. She is having surgery next Friday where they will also remove some lymph nodes and send for a biopsy as well to see if it spread.

My advice would be to undergo any testing the dr feels is necessary. The National Cancer Institute has some very helpful information on the four types of thyroid cancer and treatments available. Good luck to you...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2007, 07:19 PM   #3
(female)

CindyLL HB User

To Momof2girlsaa: The scan is to make sure that if there is a problem with cancer that it isn't anywhere else. I've found out most of my information not from my dr. but from a book written by someone that had thyroid cancer. There is alot of factual information for anyone in books written by M. Sara Rosenthal, Ph.D. I have been suprised on how much more she knew that the ones treating me. I'd advise it to anyone. My husband got it from Amazon. For the ear pain... I thought it was an impending infection. What it turned out was an extremely low calcium level. My dr.s didn't know what it was but when I needed to go to Urgent Care due to the pain when I swallowed or ate they ordered calcium levels. This is not uncommon for people with thyroid difficulties as your parathyroids that control your calcium are right behind your thyroid and can sometimes be damaged. Your Nervous system is the #1 function of calcium in your body not bones. Someone forgot to mention that to me. Now take an extra 1000mg of calcium daily and levels are still low. A thyroid uptake test is to check to see if you have thyroid tissue that has traveled to anywhere else. If it's what I think you're talking about you'll have to go on an Iodine free diet for a couple of weeks then take a low dose of radioactive iodine, then come back within next two days and get a scan. Read up on requirements etc. on different cancer sites as they will tell you what tests are for. This is a precautionary measure it sounds like for you. Has your dr. talked about a biopsy? Quicker and results faster than the scan. That can come later if need be. Don't mean to scare you but being informed is better than guessing. I've been guessing for too long.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:36 PM   #4
(female)

purpleglitter HB User

Hey, just jumped in on this one. I just got done with my 1st RAI treatment and my endo is just as flaky as can be. I've only seen him once and have been dealing with diffuse sclerosing variant form of papillary carcinoma since the end of March. The only time I get a call from his nurse is after I leave several messages. The book you reccommended is appreciated. I will check it out too.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:42 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2girlsaa View Post
Hello, I am new here and was wondering if anyone can help me. I am 28 yrs. old and went to the doc for a regular check up and she said my thyroid was a little swollen. I went and had alot of blood work done a cbc, ths, ect. and everything came back normal. My lymp node in my neck is also swollen as well and sometimes I get this funny feeling in my right ear and a pain in my neck but it is not all the time. My doc is wanting to do a Thyroid uptake scan but isnt really telling me the reason for that. If anyone could give me any idea what might be going on or why she wanting to do this test I would really appriciate it .Thanks.
you need a thyroid ultrasound first, and then a FNA, fine needle aspiration, sometimes caleld FNB, fine needle biopsy. I wouldn't do the uptake scan. It will only tell you if a nodule is hot or cold, and it won't tell you what that nodule is composed of.....you will still need an FNA. Skip the radioactive scan, it's just not necessary.

Old 06-25-2007, 03:25 PM   #6
(female)

purpleglitter HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2girlsaa View Post
I would agree with rosequartz. I've been through it all and until you know from an ultrasound and fna a scan is not necessary. I had it all and in the order we are speaking of. I eventually need the RAI treatment dose. The whole process of doing the scan is kind of draining since you start going off of all thyroid meds and iodine. Make sure it is entirely necessary first.

Old 06-28-2007, 04:07 AM   #7
(female)

LucyT HB User

My thyroid was enlarged on exam. I had the blood work, which was normal, and also an ultrasound. The ultrasound showed benign cysts or nodules (I don't remember the terminology) and dr has no concerns about it. After reading these posts, I am concerned. Can an ultrasound tell with certainity that it's not cancer? It also showed two lymph nodes and I didn't even question it. Should something more be done? I keep thinking something is wrong with me lately because I have some sore lymph nodes under arm and in neck by ear. I was on antibiotics for 10 days for an ear/sinus infection. Please let me know your opinions. Thanks

Last edited by LucyT; 06-28-2007 at 04:30 AM.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:11 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

suggi HB User

Purpleglitter

Wondering if you have seen anything re the RAI pill causing kidney, breast and stomach cancer after a "latent" period of 5 years and after. According to Reuters Health (June 2007) they did a 10 year study and those cancers were doubled the control group after the 5 year mark which is the minimum for radiationinduced cancer to emerge. That's all I need - I had a mastectomy for breast cancer 5 years ago so am a bit scared.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hope you are doing better.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-12-2012 at 06:05 PM.

Closed Thread