It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2007, 10:54 PM   #1
(female)

1sunnygal HB User
Meduallry thyroid cancer

I'm so new to this site and this situation--my 64 year old dad was diagnosed in March '07 with secondary bone cancer from primary Medullary thyroid cancer that has also spread to his lymph nodes and spine. He's had diarreha and back pain since Sept. '05 and local docs couldn't find what was wrong. For the last 12 months, he's been in extreme pain and unable to do much except lay on the couch or the bed. Nothing really showed in blood work, and gastro tests showed nothing. He's lost 60 pounds in 18 months and in Jan finally went to Cleveland Clinic, who diagnosed him. He started radiation therapy in April. Drs say his tumor is wrapped around nerves etc and with the lymph node involvement, his age and weaker state, they do not want to operate yet as he's having no real problems eating or swallowing. I can't find much info on treatment for this disease, or others experiences and I am hoping someone here can help me. I have faith and hope but I am terrified about losing my dad too soon. Since July '06, I have lost my 3 remaining grandparents within 6 months and my dads diagnosis has been another really big hit to take. Any info and support will be appreciated.
Thanks for listening!

Old 05-05-2007, 08:03 PM   #2
(female)

BriarClark HB User
Re: Meduallry thyroid cancer

Hi Sunny,

I'm sorry to read of your family's tradegies. Your dad must be very scared, and I know that you are suffering with concern for him.

I've just had tumour removed from my thyroid, and will be having radioactive iodine in six weeks.

I recently read about a similar situation with a gentleman in the area that I live, who did not have surgery because of a health-care worker shortage. When he was finally due for surgery, they said he couldn't have it because the growth was too pervasive.

I feel badly for your situation, and I wish you and your dad every success throughout the coming months and years. God Bless.
Briar

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread