It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2007, 07:28 AM   #1
(female)

beckyjane94 HB User
2 yrs out of thyroid cancer and pregnant

Hello everyone, I've been a reader of the health boards for more than 2 years now and the info I've read has been very helpfull.
My concern is in 2005, I was diagnosed and treated via surgery for a follicular cell adenoma. I had the entire left side and most of the right side of my thyroid removed. For over a year I been on no meds. Now I'm 13 wks pregnant. My Dr. says that my levels are perfect, my ob says the same thing. My question is what exactly do I need to be concerned about and what questions do I need to discuss with my endo next week?

Thanks
Becky

Last edited by beckyjane94; 08-21-2007 at 07:29 AM.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: 2 yrs out of thyroid cancer and pregnant

That's wonderful news!

My guess is that you never had RAI, and that you weren't kept supressed, and that you have enough thyroid left to keep your hormones at a good level?

Personally, I would talk to them after the baby about supression, going on meds, and not letting that thyroid grow back, to avoid cancer recurrence. But while the levels are good and the baby is inside, I would just make sure they keep monitoring your levels.

Congrats!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2007, 08:56 PM   #3
(female)

grace1908 HB User
Re: 2 yrs out of thyroid cancer and pregnant

First I would like to say congrats on the pregnancy. I am hoping you have a happy and healthy 9 months. You will probably be followed closely to make sure that your labs don't start going out of whack. You may have to have any meds adjusted during your pregnancy because the baby will be tapping into your thyroid supply. Be prepared to have your labs taken a little more frequently during the course of your pregnancy. I have Hashimoto's and they have been keeping a close eye on my labs. My synthroid was increased because my TSH started to climb a little. Also, be on the look out for any new or increased thyroid symptoms that may indicate needing a med adjustment.

Good luck

Grace

Closed Thread