It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2007, 07:42 PM   #1
(female)

CorieLynn HB User
Staying hyperthyroid post thyroid cancer...dealing with the symptoms

Hey everyone,

I was diagnosed with follicular thyroid cancer in 2003...had 2 surgeries and 2 RAI treatments and have been clear now since 2005.
I know that it is important to keep post thyroid cancer patients' tsh as low as possible, but I'm having trouble dealing with the hyperthyroid side effects. I was just curious as to how anyone else that may be in the same boat as me copes with it. I was in the ER again last week with an SVT episode. My resting heart rate runs between 110 and 120 and has for the last 3 years. I'm currently taking Inderal to help lower it and prevent SVT episodes...but it doesn't seem to be helping much anymore. I finally convinced my Dr. to lower my Synthroid dose...I'm now alternating between 112 mcg and 125 mcg every other day. My last TSH was 0.07 and they were happy with that...I don't remember what my FT4 was.
I'm just getting tired of walking around feeling like I've just drank 3 gallons of coffee...lol. That's pretty much how I feel though...high strung and jittery. I also have a lot of trouble sleeping at night. I'm thinking maybe it's time to see a new Dr. I obviously don't want my cancer to come back, but at this point...I think I would rather risk a recurrence than deal with the hyper symptoms. I haven't felt "normal" in over 3 years and I'm pretty much tired of it.=(

Anway, I was just wondering if anyone else was in the same predicament and how you deal with the hyper symptoms. Is it really necessary to keep the TSH so low?

Thanks,
Corie

Last edited by CorieLynn; 10-05-2007 at 07:43 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2007, 04:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Staying hyperthyroid post thyroid cancer...dealing with the symptoms

My endo. said if I had problems with a low TSH, he would use beta blockers.

I actually feel fine, but your endo. should be working with you to find a way that you feel as good as possible, with your TSH as low as you can feel comfortable.....the more supressed the better, but you shouldn't be running to the ER with heart issues either.

My TSH tests around .04, but I don't really have any hyper symptoms, but each person is different, and if your endo. isn't working with you, or trying other things, you may need another opinion.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:14 PM   #3
(female)

kwebster HB User
Re: Staying hyperthyroid post thyroid cancer...dealing with the symptoms

Like Reece I am over the pap cancer and RAI. Went to my endo in August because I felt like crap. Really tired, immobile, flu like. Thought I would have to increase the meds from 112mcg to 175mcg. Turns out the TSh was .03. Said the numbers were the best he'd ever seen for me. I can't get a grip on how normal feels anymore. It's really hard.

Now, I constantly itch and can't sleep well. Can't loose weight, really bummed out. Husband thinks I may have Lyme disease - waiting for results, but I am not convinced.

I go back to the endo in a few weeks and I'll take it from there. I feel for you because more meds equal heart palps which freaks me out, and lower meds run the risk of cancer reoocurance.

I am turning 40 in a few weeks and really feel like crap.

take care!
Kathy

Closed Thread