It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2007, 11:04 AM   #1
(female)

clueless42 HB User
Thyroid cancer metastasized to the brain?

Can this really happen? Is there any place thyroid cancer can metastasize to?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2007, 01:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Thyroid cancer metastasized to the brain?

Oh my, I don't know why you posted this but that would be really really really rare.......it rarely metasticizes distantly, and if it does, it goes to certain places where it is treatable/curable, depending on the type.

pappillary can travel in the neck (ie, lymph nodes), and follicular can possibly go to the bone or the lungs, but it is treatable for both with RAI---we had someone here with follicular to the rib, and he's doing just fine.

Are you experiencing this???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2007, 06:06 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Lori123 HB User

I find it really interesting that there is only ONE post on this. I wonder if I am correct in assuming that maybe you watched the show called "House, MD" last night? I sat down at 8:50 and flipped on the tv, and sure enough I caught the tail end of the show, stating that the doctor Cameron's husband died of thyroid cancer that had metastasized to the brain. My 15 year old had plopped down next to me at the same time, and heard it, too and was alarmed. I hope that is why you are wondering, not from personal experience, I pray. It is only a tv show and is not accurate. I thought there would be a lot of people on here today setting the record straight. Probably most people did not catch it. That's the only part I saw, the tail end. Is that hopefully why you are asking?
Take care,
Lori

Old 12-21-2007, 09:28 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

katkatdd HB User

Oh no! Nothing like turning on a TV show to be ENTERTAINED and being scared to death from it. Sheesh.. lol... Although I have to admit I do enjoy that show myself. BUt sometimes I have to refrain from watching these types of shows as they get my head going to much! LOL.

Well I do hope it was from the TV show and not a personal experience as well. I have never heard of it but then again I didn't have cancer I have Grave's.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:07 PM   #5
(female)

clueless42 HB User

Yes, I saw it on House, this is the scond time I've seen part of the show. I apologize for not clarifying this in my posting. I had a lobectomy & hashis, no experience with cancer. A coworker is having tests done and when I heard this I panicked. She had done alot of research and had not mentioned anyhing like this. I feel quite foolish right now and again I apologize if I've frightened anyone.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:35 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User

I think all cancers have a chance of metastasizing, but I think perhaps since the thyroid isn't quite as vital as, say, the heart, perhaps cancer doesn't spread since the thyroid can be removed or destroyed in the early stages of the cancer and its function maintained via medication, whereas it's not quite so easy with a heart, lungs, the skin, etc.

I could be wrong, but it's just a guess. But I have never heard of anyone having their thyroid cancer spread to their brain; I think of all the cancers a person could ever possibly get, thyroid cancer is the very least likely to metastasize. Funny how cancer of the reproductive system can spread to the brain easier than cancer of an organ that's so close to the brain itself - go figure.

Closed Thread