It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2008, 06:30 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Thyroid cancer follow up--sharing good news!

I know there are lots of people out there, either frightened because they find a nodule on their thyroid, or found out they have thyroid cancer, and maybe they are scared about the future....so I wanted to share my good news, not just to my friends who post here, but to the people who lurk as well!

At 3 years 3 months out from my original RAI treatment after thyroid surgery, I'm very thankful that my thyroglobulin---tumor marker blood test, my first test in 2 years since my follow up scan, was all clear!

My endo. said that the thyroglobulin would spike first, then there would be some tissue in the thyroid bed (which he checks regularly with ultrasound), then it would probably spread to a lymph node....if it did recur, so it was helpful to get the worst case scenario---but much better to get the all clear!

I'm glad I did everything I was supposed to then, the surgery, the horrid hypo prep for RAI, and then the RAI, and now the supressed TSH, because so far, so good! I hope everyone else out there that faces this gets good results too

Old 05-28-2008, 07:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Thyroid cancer follow up--sharing good news!

Reece,
After cyber-knowing you for several years, it makes me as happy to hear your good news as it would to hear it for someone closer to me. It's just wonderful!

In the arena of cancer survival rates, does that mean you're "cured"?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2008, 04:20 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Thank you midwest for your good wishes!

I think traditionally, it might be 5 years of all clear---at least that's what the creepy the life insurance guy considers it....

Old 05-29-2008, 05:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Reece,

Congratulations on your great news. And thank you for all your support, knowledge and great advice you always give to us on this board. You have been very consistant the 2 years I have been on here helping others.....Thank you

Sincerely, Oleander

Old 05-29-2008, 07:18 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User

That's great news, and congratulations! I have one dumb question I've thought about everytime I read about thryoid cancer survivors having to suppress their TSH--is it uncomfortable to be a little hyper, or are you able to suppress without the symptoms?

Old 05-29-2008, 07:32 AM   #6
(female)

nail lady HB User

congrats reece when you say supress the thyroid what does that mean do we stay hypo or hyper now. been hypo for so many years dont know much about this cancer stuff. feeling better but i tell you i felt like a million bucks on 25 cytomel then the 50 synthroid im gonna see how it goes if this now 5 cytomel and 50 synthroid dont seem to be cutting it im calling i dont have the time to be taken naps everyday and my eyes killing me remember i have 2 teenagers very busy with sports and i love being outside in the summer gardening and walking and riding ....well as i typing to you the dr office called so i just asked about the meds who knows maybe they will change it alittle. cant wait to see all my results in july. i feel good so i think it will be good gotta stay positive..

thanks
sheri

Old 05-29-2008, 07:43 AM   #7
(female)

Curious2013 HB User

Reece,

This is wonderful news and I am so happy for you! Thank you for your "voice of reason." It can be a real comfort.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:05 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

fantastic news Reece!

Old 05-29-2008, 08:20 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sheri, Sue, With my TSH suppressed, and my free t4 high (I only tested this once in the beginning, now just the tsh), I definitely am on the hyper side, but I have no symptoms---the only thing I notice is that my hands can tremble, especially if I have caffeine, or if I'm nervous (ie, driving in a snowstorm), but otherwise, I'm feeling normal.

It took a while to adjust to living on synthroid (I took cytomel in the beginning too, but that gave me some hyper symptoms after a while)---and it was gradual, and then one day I realized, wow---I feel just fine.

Rosequartz, Oleander, good to hear from more cyber friends, and thanks for the kind wishes,
and Curious, you are going to be okay, and I think that's why I stick around, so that people that find a nodule and read the really scary stuff on the internet realize, that they are going to be alright.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:47 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Reece-congratulations on your good news!!! You have been through alot no doubt. The ups and downs. It takes alot of courage .
And, I would like to join the others in thanking you for all your helpful advice about "those nodules". I have 7 of my own and was hoping that along with a hashi's reactive lymph node and fluctuating levels would get me a TT. No such luck. It seems like they want me to go through this longer.
I too have a question about suppression therapy. Of course there is no definite that any of the nodules will become cancerous , but if it did and then I had a TT --then I would have to go on suppression therapy wouldn't I? Now this would be the worst thing in the world for me because I have very severe osteoporosis and I believe being suppressed , borderline hyper could lead to bone loss. Am I right in this line of thinking? Please let me know if I am wrong.
I wasn't clear from what you wrote-are you still on the cytomel as well as the synthroid? Or did you stop taking the cytomel when it made you feel hyper?
Again, I am so glad that you have received good news and thank you for your advice here!

Last edited by osteoblast; 05-29-2008 at 10:48 AM.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:23 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

birchtree HB Userbirchtree HB User

Congrats, Reece - I've benefited from your kind words....I'm very happy to see that all is well!

B

Old 05-29-2008, 11:24 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Osteo---my friend is about 50, and she had thyroid cancer, and her tsh is not kept as low/suppressed as mine is, for that reason.

I never discussed with my endo. the bone loss issue, I figure I will do that next year, as my cancer did have vascular invasion and my focus has been on making sure it has been eradicated. I'm sure I could tweak down in dosage down a bit if it were an issue----I should also start taking vitamin d/calcium to prevent that.

I was on cytomel earlier on, stopped it when I started getting hyper symptoms, and then found I didn't really need it anymore, I just take synthroid now.

I don't think you'd need suppression with the tt unless you definitely had the cancer...which I doubt---you more likely don't than do!

good luck with your watching........

Old 05-29-2008, 01:04 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Reece-Thank you for your response. At this time, it seems that the ENT does not think TT is called for unless cancer is found. And, I think my situation would be so much worse if cancer is found b/ of the suppression issue. Seems so clear to me , but the ENT doesn't see it the same way.I think this is going to require a second opinion with another endo and perhaps another ENT. And, this is going to take some time.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:28 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

Reece................Congrats on the wonderful news. It couldn't have happened to a nicer person!!!

Old 05-29-2008, 05:27 PM   #15
(male)

roman75 HB User

Reece
So Glad you received great news.You are always positive and upbeat and i think it serves us all well when we stay positive and mentally strong.
I wish you continued good health!I will be hoping for similar results at the end of July for what will be my final(hopefully) WBS scan.Ive had 2 clear so far with undetectable Tg.
To good Health
Roman
TT for hurthle cell Thyca
Dec 06

Closed Thread