It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2008, 01:48 PM   #1
(male)

Todd Hardy HB User
Question Thyroid Cancer - Synthroid vs Levoxyl - Anyone???

I'm hoping someone here might be able to help because my doctor seems to think either/or.

31 year-old male, total thyroidectomy due to cancer, 250mcg/day levothyroxine

Originally was taking Synthroid, switched it to generic because it was cheaper (and I exhausted COBRA so now I pay for it), new doctor says I should stay with a name brand due to consistency.

No ill effects with Synthroid, no ill effects with generic.

I want to take what's best, not too concerned about the difference in price.

Can anyone here shed some light on which is the better drug, Synthroid or Levoxyl?

Thank you in advance.

PS- My test results with the generic were perfectly fine, no dosage change required or anything but just to be safe, I'm switching to brand name.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Thyroid Cancer - Synthroid vs Levoxyl - Anyone???

The only issue with a generic, is that sometimes pharmacies switch to a different generic 'brand', and that might (or might not) affect how you feel.

I'm also a former thyroid cancer patient, and I started with generic, but for some strange reason, I felt yucky, and then felt better on the name brand, so my doctor switched me to synthroid, and I stick with that. My doctor thinks the generic is fine.

I think the only difference is fillers and stuff. If you feel fine and your blood levels are where you want on the generic, stick with it, and consider talking to the pharmacy about warning you about any switches in their brands in the future in case they do and you feel a difference.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2008, 04:38 PM   #3
(female)

pinkprincess3 HB User

Hi Todd,
Someone in my family was diagnosed with thyroid cancer.

She had her thyroid taken out and was put on Levoxyl and did good on it.

Someone in my family had their thyroid taken out...my cousin about 20 years ago...they thought he had thyroid cancer but his thryoid was not in good shape...he is taking Synthyroid I think...he is in his 50's now...

A nurse practioner told her that Synthyroid was the better thyroid med to take and she switched.She was fine at first but then did not feel as good as she did on Levoxyl.

She went back to Levoxyl.

I am hypothyroid...no thyroid cancer...and have taken both Synthroid and Levoxyl...been taking Levoxyl longer.

So I just want to continue taking it and not change if I am feeling good.

The medicine brand and generic might be the same...the fillers are not.

Best of luck to you.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:46 PM   #4
(male)

Todd Hardy HB User

Thank you. I'm definately going to take a brand name so that I'm sure everything stays the same. I'm just trying to decide between the Synthroid brand or the Levoxyl brand. Like I said, I felt fine taking Synthroid and I also felt fine taking the generic. Meds really don't affect me much in that sense. I doubt Levoxyl would make me feel bad or anything (wonder if I'd feel better? hmmm...).

I just don't know which brand, if either, is better. I know Synthroid costs more but I don't know if that's due to marketing or because it's a better product.

Anyways, thanks again for your input!

Old 09-04-2008, 03:58 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User
Cool Re: Thyroid Cancer - Synthroid vs Levoxyl - Anyone???

I had one enlarged, non-cancerous Thy lobe removed. Personally, I had horrid side-effects on generic (Levothyroxine) and felt much better on Levoxyl. Never taken brand Synthroid

I'd say it's the MARKETING that makes Synthroid cost more. Its also interesting that Synthroid has never gotten FDA approval, while Levoxyl got approval in early 2000's

Last edited by Suey77; 09-04-2008 at 04:01 AM.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:11 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

I believe synthroid was approved officially in 2002.

Yes, it might be easier to follow on a "name brand" and make sure you don't get switched, and either one that you get cheaper that works good for you should be fine.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:12 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Lori123 HB User

Hi Todd,
I take the generic Levothyroxine. My endo said they are equivalant now. My friend is a pharm. sales rep, and he said the same. I have felt fine on the generic, although I check the pills every refill to be sure they are from the same drug manufacturer. The pharmacist at my particular pharmacy said they have used the same manufacturer for over 20 years. My endo said I CAN switch to Synthroid if I want, but I guess since I am doing well, I am sticking to the Levo. I was so concerned about this in the beginning, too. But, I decided to stick with what is working, and I have been on the same dose since surgery, and my bloodwork is good, suppressed and feeling decent, so I am sticking with the generic..........Best to you!!
Lori

Old 09-05-2008, 01:59 PM   #8
(male)

Todd Hardy HB User

Thanks for all the info. The manufacturer of my generic is Myla and it works well. My Endo said that it's not that the generics got better, but rather the FDA loosened their guidelines or "specs". Still the same variance (which is greater than what Synthroid or Levoxyl has) but now, because the FDA changed the parameters, is now considered "just as good". The bottom line is that it depends on the manufacturer of the generic and whether or not your pharmacy price shops frequently.

I use the Sears pharmacy, plus I work at Sears part-time while in school. I had lunch with the pharmacist today and he verified everything I just typed. He also said they've been using the same company for that "forever". I feel pretty safe using the Myla brand generic since I've been using it for months now and all my tests came back fine.

Thanks again for everyone's input!!!

Closed Thread