It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2008, 08:19 PM   #1
(female)

2DogsSAC HB User
Hyperthyroidism problems after thyroidectomy for thyroid cancer

I am being kept hyperthyroid after my thyroidectomy last year to prevent regrowth of thyroid tissue and possible cancer recurrence. However, I am having all kinds of anxiety and heart palpitations. One time I felt a big boom in my chest then immediately went in to tachycardia for about 30 seconds. My nuc med doctor says I am exactly where he wants me to be with my thyroid levels. I am worried that this will lead to heart problems in the future so am thinking of tweaking my dosage on my own. Anyone else having similar problems? I currently take 200mcg 5x week and 100mcg 2x week. My thyroid level is: TSH, 3RD GENERATION - 0.100

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2008, 06:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Hyperthyroidism problems after thyroidectomy for thyroid cancer

If you are not feeling right, there are a few things you can do---you could ask for beta blockers, which is what my endo. said he would do if I had problems and felt too "hyper".

Also, even though t4 builds in your system over time, you are on a very high to low dose, and I wonder if that's affecting you a bit? What if you took 175 4 times a week, and 150 3 times, (alternating days so it the hormone is more constant) or something like that?

Maybe you'd smidgen down a teeny bit in dose, feel a little better, but not get hyper symptoms? My endo. says it's more an art than a science, and I think as long as your tsh is under 1, you should be okay in terms of suppression. I'm actually at .03 and feel fine, but it took a while to feel normal.

Instead of a nuclear med person managing you, would you consider seeing an endo for another opinion? Maybe the endo. is more comfortable moving up and down to get you to a place where you feel better, yet remain suppressed?

Last edited by Reece; 11-02-2008 at 06:20 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2008, 08:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User
Re: Hyperthyroidism problems after thyroidectomy for thyroid cancer

How is your b/p? When I was @ 0.01 TSH I was a wreck so I know how you feel. Some of us are more sensitive I guess. I had thyroiditis. Now my Endo wants to suppressive my thyroid to that level with Synthroid which I have resisted. I took Inderal which helps a little. Fam

Closed Thread