It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2009, 06:30 PM   #1
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9
wordgirl72 HB User
Wow - I can't believe I have thyroid cancer

I am still in shock ten days after finding out I have follicular carcinoma. I still can't believe there was a 2 inch malignant tumor in my neck that was found accidentally. I had an FNA in December - follicular neoplasm. I thought that 20% chance of cancer was good and assumed I would be in the 80%. I had a lobectomy at the end of January - not wanting to give up my whole thyroid without knowing for sure that it was cancer.

I know I am going to be fine, etc., etc. I am young - under 40. I wish they could call it something other than cancer - which is just a scary word. I am at one of the best hospitals in the U.S. and am receiving excellent care. I have brief moments of "this really stinks" but am generally looking at the positives - a two inch malignant tumor anywhere else would be a big problem. I am going in for my second surgery in a few weeks and then RAI six weeks after. The docs do not expect to find any metastases. I hope that they are correct because to me (with little kids, a career and a very busy life right now), the RAI is the worst part. I think I am just venting, but if there are any young women out there with words of wisdom for the journey, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

 
Old 02-09-2009, 06:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 3,677
Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Wow - I can't believe I have thyroid cancer

So sorry about your diagnosis, it's shocking and scary if you think about it, but the truth is, thyroid cancer is usually just a big yucky pain in the butt more than anything else---it's curable---even if it did spread, it usually doesn't matter and RAI usually takes care of it---so it's not this deadly thing, just a yucky process you have to go through to get back to your life. I know it's called "cancer" but it doesn't behave like the others.

I was where you are four years ago, and I am the same I was before I had it (maybe just more calm about things in general and appreciative about my health), and was at about 4-5 months after my RAI.

Are you sure your nodule was 2 inches or 2 cm---because that would be 5 cm, and that would be larger than most thyroid lobes actually are! Usually doctors measure tumors in cms, so that's why I'm asking. You will need the same treatment, RAI and removal of the rest of the lobe either way, because they are of decent size either way.

Keep your chin up, take it slowly, talk to your doctor about cytomel prior to RAI and thyrogen (many doctors forget these comforts), you are going to do well....

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 02-09-2009, 07:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ozarks in Arkansas
Posts: 1,826
Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
Re: Wow - I can't believe I have thyroid cancer

Good luck I know you will do great. The C word is scarey. Stay positive.

Oleander

 
Old 02-09-2009, 07:07 PM   #4
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9
wordgirl72 HB User
Re: Wow - I can't believe I have thyroid cancer

Thanks. My primary tumor was 4.5 cm. The first ultrasound showed that both lobes were slightly enlarged - I think around 5.5 cm. I can't remember what the ultimate pathology report said. I am going to get Thyrogen, which is good. How long after the RAI before you felt pretty good?

 
Old 02-10-2009, 06:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 3,677
Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Wow - I can't believe I have thyroid cancer

Actually, if you use thyrogen, your only real issue will be getting used to living on meds, it can be easy, or it can be hard to get the right dose. It took a while for me because I didn't have thyrogen and I was hypo for many weeks, and not used to meds at all.

The side effects of RAI are usually the first few days, achiness, swelling of weird things, I had a very large dose 175 millicuries, it was as I said, just very annoying.

 
Old 02-10-2009, 04:30 PM   #6
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 106
REE77 HB User
Re: Wow - I can't believe I have thyroid cancer

I had thyroid removed in Dec & had cancer also. It is scary & I still cant believe it was cancer either. I too couldnt believe I was in that small percentage. It has been a long road & I had my RAI 1 month ago. I am just on thyroid meds for a month now & am very tired. I try to take it day by day that is all you can do. You have to think positive I know that for sure. I have had so many words of wisdom from people on these boards and dont know what I would have done without their knowledge . I am dealing with a whole new issue of a possible salivary gland tumor so my journey is continuing but I wish you well. Hang in there and keep asking questions here you will find it a comforting place.
Good Luck
REE

 
Old 02-10-2009, 09:04 PM   #7
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 265
loralei HB User
Re: Wow - I can't believe I have thyroid cancer

It definitely helps to read and talk about it. You'll be fine, hang in there. This board has been great. Friends and family always mean well, but they just can't know all the particulars.

 
Old 02-11-2009, 06:02 PM   #8
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9
wordgirl72 HB User
Re: Wow - I can't believe I have thyroid cancer

Thanks for the responses. I think I need to have a good cry once and for all - just get it out!

I have a lot to learn. Are there any books or articles out there with information about follicular CA, TT and RAI? I received a packet from thyca.org, but when I read a lot of these posts, I feel lost.

For example: What questions do I need to ask the endo? What are all these blood tests and levels (other than TSH)? What the heck is Armour? Is it true that women under 45 who have RAI have an increased risk of breast cancer?

I looked at the sticky on this Board with resources, but some seem dated.

REE - I am sorry to hear of the possible salivary tumor. Is that related to RAI?

Thanks again.

 
Old 02-12-2009, 10:55 AM   #9
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: palmer, alaska, usa
Posts: 200
beth67 HB User
Re: Wow - I can't believe I have thyroid cancer

I had a thyroidectomy in 2005 for cancer and then the overnight radiation to kill any left over tissue. When you do the overnight in the hospital this is what you will probably have to do. They took me to a special room that is only used for people that are about to receive radiation, they gave me a radiation pill to swallow, the technician steps back about ten feet then ran a geiger counter up and down my body and said "yep your hot", gave me instructions to take a shower every couple of hours, and change the bed sheets each time I take a shower. The radiation comes out in your sweat and urine and this is why they do this. One thing I read and didn't do was to suck on sour candies to make you salivate so the radiation can get out of the salivary glands because thats where it migrates alot. I read if you don't do this your neck can really hurt. After a couple of hours I thought I was fine and wasn't feeling any pain so I went to bed. I woke up in the middle of the night with extreme pain in my neck, looked in the mirror and my glands on each side of my neck were really swollen and I had a bad headache. So really suck on those sour candies. I recommend at least for 12 hours. I might of just had a bad reaction but sucking on candy isn't that bad to avoid pain. Also, take your own shampoo and conditioner. The stuff they give you in the hospital is horrible. I couldn't pull a brush through my hair after the showers. I walked out of there looking like a scarecrow. Eventually you will get your energy back. Yes it is cancer but it is one of the most curable. Also, I did a low iodine diet so the radioactive iodine would work better. The radiologist can give you more info or you can type in your search engine thyroid cancer and some stuff might pop up concerning the procedure and how to prepare. Some people on this board have recommended the book Stop the Thyroid Madness. I haven't read it yet but it's on my list. Good luck to you.

Beth

 
Old 02-13-2009, 04:56 PM   #10
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 106
REE77 HB User
Re: Wow - I can't believe I have thyroid cancer

I got most of my info from the boards here. Just do a search and so much will come up. My salivary gland problem is not related to my thyroid according to the Dr.s
I started out with this lump in my neck and had an ultrasound which is when my thyroid showed up so it has all been pretty freaky how it has all happened. I will find out more in March when I see the Dr to go over the scan.

 
Old 02-16-2009, 03:18 PM   #11
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Florida USA
Posts: 2
laurabr HB User
Re: Wow - I can't believe I have thyroid cancer

Hey Wordgirl, Sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I, too was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in 2006. Not the same kind as you, but I will tell you the most important thing you can have now is complete confidence in your Doctor (second ONLY to God). I've been through the total thyroidectomy and ablasion, along with yearly testing, going hypo, the whole 9 yards. I am not as young as you, I'm in my 40's, but had an incredibly busy and active life before the cancer. You can still have one, BUT the best thing you can do for yourself and your family is to keep yourself as healthy as possible. It's a 24/7 process, no joke. I'll keep you in my prayers, keep your head up! With much love from Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordgirl72 View Post
I am still in shock ten days after finding out I have follicular carcinoma. I still can't believe there was a 2 inch malignant tumor in my neck that was found accidentally. I had an FNA in December - follicular neoplasm. I thought that 20% chance of cancer was good and assumed I would be in the 80%. I had a lobectomy at the end of January - not wanting to give up my whole thyroid without knowing for sure that it was cancer.

I know I am going to be fine, etc., etc. I am young - under 40. I wish they could call it something other than cancer - which is just a scary word. I am at one of the best hospitals in the U.S. and am receiving excellent care. I have brief moments of "this really stinks" but am generally looking at the positives - a two inch malignant tumor anywhere else would be a big problem. I am going in for my second surgery in a few weeks and then RAI six weeks after. The docs do not expect to find any metastases. I hope that they are correct because to me (with little kids, a career and a very busy life right now), the RAI is the worst part. I think I am just venting, but if there are any young women out there with words of wisdom for the journey, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

 
Old 02-16-2009, 03:21 PM   #12
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Florida USA
Posts: 2
laurabr HB User
Re: Wow - I can't believe I have thyroid cancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordgirl72 View Post
Thanks for the responses. I think I need to have a good cry once and for all - just get it out!

I have a lot to learn. Are there any books or articles out there with information about follicular CA, TT and RAI? I received a packet from thyca.org, but when I read a lot of these posts, I feel lost.

For example: What questions do I need to ask the endo? What are all these blood tests and levels (other than TSH)? What the heck is Armour? Is it true that women under 45 who have RAI have an increased risk of breast cancer?

I looked at the sticky on this Board with resources, but some seem dated.

REE - I am sorry to hear of the possible salivary tumor. Is that related to RAI?

Thanks again.
Hi me again,

I started Armour thyroid last year after a clear I-131, and found it much easier to deal with than synthroid. It was easier also to come off of this year. Keep the faith, WE ALL UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE GOING THROUGH.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Can follicular CA of thyroid cause this? Archie343 Brain Tumors 39 02-04-2009 06:13 AM
believe i have hypothyroid ......all tests are negative geye Thyroid Disorders 10 08-28-2007 09:52 PM
Thyroid nodules, can they shrink on their own? stephanie867 Thyroid Disorders 6 06-28-2007 11:24 AM
Can anyone please help? I am scared to death... Claire 525 Thyroid Disorders 23 06-12-2007 11:07 AM
can an injury cause thyroid problems? aussie_girl Thyroid Disorders 1 03-30-2007 05:48 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



Reece (19), Linda1652 (11), thyroidmess (8), debmc1958 (3), bare501 (3), sman65 (2), Yannick (2), Tisha Mac (2), Jamie09 (2), anxiousagain (1)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1164), MSJayhawk (997), Apollo123 (898), Titchou (833), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (758), ladybud (745), sammy64 (666), midwest1 (665), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:57 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!