It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2009, 05:31 PM   #1
(female)

n1ladyd HB User
So scared I dont know what to do. Thyroid Cancer

Hi all, I am new here. I never thought I would be visiting another board. I have Multiple Sclerosis and have been dealing with that for the past 6 years. I am a 39 year old mother of 3.

Then this happened. Last May I coughed and broke my rib. CAT showed the fracture and it said it "couldnt rule out a pathological process." It also showd the lump on my thyroid. Ultrasound showed a single 1.5 cm nodule, complex/solid.

Fine needle aspiration biopsy came up positive. The doc said almost certain its Papillary, but is sending it to University of Penn hospital in Philadelphia to be sure.

I find out Friday what "type" of thyroid CA it is.

I flipped out so bad when I heard this that I threw myself on the floor and cried hysterically. The thyroid must come out of course. They said they need to check the nearby lymph glands? I need more info and some personal stories. I dont know how to handle this.

Dee

Old 04-15-2009, 07:11 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Lori123 HB User
Re: So scared I dont know what to do. Thyroid Cancer

Hi Dee,
So sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Sounds like you are dealing with enough with your MS. I was sent to Mayo several years ago, after I was hit by a bus that ran a stop sign, and I was pregnant with my third child. Due to my vertigo, imbalance, tremors, etc, I was tested and "thought" to have MS, but turns out it is a vestibular disorder of the inner ear and neuro symptoms, too, due to the trauma to my inner ear, neck, and head from the accident. My point BEING...its hard enough to deal with all that, and then to be diagnosed with thyroid cancer is a tough blow. BUT, you can and will deal with it because you have to!!
It is important to take one step at a time and get through all the testing, and then the thyroidectomy, which is NOT a difficult surgery. You will be stiff and sore for a bit, though.
Then you may need to go through radioactive iodine tx, which eradicates any left over thyroid cancer and/or tissue left behind from the surgery.
Then, after all that is done, you get on thyroid hormone, to replace what is missing due to your thyroidectomy, and you have lab work and a few more appts. and THEN...... you get back to living life and enjoying your family.
I am certainly not minimizing it, I FREAKED out, too, when they called and said I had cancer, I thought, NOT MORE to deal with, but ONE STEP at a time, and you get through it.
It has now been 1 1/2 years since my diagnosis...and I am doing fine!!!

One step at a time, and ask any questions you may have on here, I asked a ton, and still ask periodically, as everyone will help you through this on here, It was a God send for me, to be a part of this group.
Take care,
Lori

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2009, 10:47 PM   #3
(male)

vinalfo HB User

Hi Dee
It is scary for sure.
I was diagnosed with uncertainity re my thyroid condition, so they took my left side out with there being an 80% chance that it was benign.
One week later I received a phone call from my surgeon telling me that I was diagnosed with hurthle cell carcinoma cancer.
Well my whole world collapsed and I was in denial.
Now I had to have another operation whilst I was still in recovery from my first operation.
Had second operation and all went well because if it is found in time then it wont spread.
Now 5 months later I am slowly getting back re my energy, probably about 60% there and having all my follow ups such as iodine radiation therapy.
All is well but you just need to adjust to the situation and be positive.
Talk to people and tell them your fears, dont hold back, have a good cry , get your emotions out and them become POSITIVE because thyroid cancer has a great rate of being cured.
Keep your chin up and if needed seek proffessional help.

Last edited by vinalfo; 04-15-2009 at 10:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 04-16-2009, 05:42 AM   #4
(female)

n1ladyd HB User

Hi, It helps to know I am not alone and to hear other stories. I feel asthough my first hurdle is to find out the type of Cancer it is, then the stage.

Before my current job, which is "classroom support for special needs children" I worked on Oncology and was becoming a nurse when my MS DX put a halt to it. I also have a sister with MS who isnot doing well, so again, I freaked and quit.

I have to much info racing around my mind, i cant help it because of where I used to work. I wish I could turn off my mind.

Anyhow,Iwill let you know what ahppes, tanks dee

Old 04-17-2009, 12:41 AM   #5
(male)

vinalfo HB User

Hi Dee,
dont think that you are on your own AS YOU ARENT.
I think that you could need some professional help such as a pcshyciatrist
I am booked to see one in a few weeks as we all need someone to listen to us.
Hope this helps but remember dont lose your confidence and worry about the unknown.
Forget the unknown and work on the known .
Ciao

Last edited by vinalfo; 04-17-2009 at 12:43 AM.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:12 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

So sorry for what you've been through, I had thyroid cancer almost 5 years ago with spread to muscle in front of thyroid, and I'm just fine. Don't let your work with oncology frighten you, this is sooooo different than other cancers, it's treated different, and it is curable!

Take it one step at a time, you are going to be fine and live a long life, this will not change any of your dreams----also, the thyroid cancer organization has support groups, as well as people you can speak to over the phone, you might want to check them out.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:31 PM   #7
(female)

n1ladyd HB User

It turns out I do have the papillary type. I am a little relived. nowto the next steps, staging and removal. woopee.

I do have a weight lifted.....a little. Thanks for all the help and kind words.

Dee

Old 04-17-2009, 05:00 PM   #8
(male)

cickle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1ladyd View Post
Hi all, I am new here. I never thought I would be visiting another board. I have Multiple Sclerosis and have been dealing with that for the past 6 years. I am a 39 year old mother of 3.

Then this happened. Last May I coughed and broke my rib. CAT showed the fracture and it said it "couldnt rule out a pathological process." It also showd the lump on my thyroid. Ultrasound showed a single 1.5 cm nodule, complex/solid.

Fine needle aspiration biopsy came up positive. The doc said almost certain its Papillary, but is sending it to University of Penn hospital in Philadelphia to be sure.

I find out Friday what "type" of thyroid CA it is.

I flipped out so bad when I heard this that I threw myself on the floor and cried hysterically. The thyroid must come out of course. They said they need to check the nearby lymph glands? I need more info and some personal stories. I dont know how to handle this.

Dee
I know this may sound a little cliche, and I do not mean to go OT or offend anyone, but my prayers are with you. If you have not already, also consider the Lord. Its amazing what he can do when you submit your will to His.

Last edited by cickle; 04-17-2009 at 05:00 PM.

Closed Thread