It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2009, 12:26 PM   #1
(female)

rd1 HB User
Question Newbie-Everything is going SO Fast! Pl Help-Thyroid Cancer

Hello,
Everything for me is going so Fast!I am new here and had made an error on posting on the wrong board, and hope I can connect with someone now.My ENT discovered a small lump which turned out to a cystic tumor on the Rt side of Thyroid gland.Had surgery on April 9 . Tumor benign, but found multi nodular papillary and Follicular Variant Cancer. April 15 left side removed.
April 23 Saw Endo-
May 5 Blood resluts TSh,3rd generation:18.48
Low Vit d -put on 1.25 MG once a week
High trigycerides-Trilipix 135mg once a day
To Moniter Glucose Levels morn and night
MAY 6 START RAI DIET
May 13 RAI Pill
May 15 SCAN and will be told Next Steps! (what are they?)
I feel sooo lost. Why is the Dr moving so Fast? Is something here seriously wrong. Anybody .... pl help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2009, 12:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Newbie-Everything is going SO Fast! Pl Help-Thyroid Cancer

Everything is going to be fine. Your doctor probably didn't have to speed you through this without explaining things properly, but everything sounds right. Pappillary is the most common thyroid cancer in the US, and it's the most curable, the follicular variant doesn't change much of anything.

You had your entire thyroid removed, so you are done with the cancer. What they are doing now is making sure it never comes back---so first, with your RAI, they will obliterate any remaining thyroid tissue (thyroid cancer behaves like normal thyroid tissue, and it's tough to tell the difference if it's benign or not without removal, so they just destroy any remaining tissue in the body), then after the RAI, your doctor will be putting you on a high enough dosage of thyroid hormone to keep your TSH suppressed to avoid a regrowth of tissue or "recurrence". Then you can be monitored with scans/ultrasounds, and blood work (thyroglobulin) over the next few years making sure there's nothing to worry about.

You will live your life normally, and a long one too, and not worry about this anymore once this has passed! This cancer is not just more easily treatable (with RAI instead of chemo etc.) but it's also curable!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2009, 12:50 PM   #3
(female)

rd1 HB User

Reece,
Thankyou for getting back to me so quickly.What is the purpose to moniter my glucose so closely? I have also been told That a Nutritionist will be contacting me.Is there any connection with early onset of diabetes with metabolic activity being disturbed currently?
I also forgot to mention that My iron levels are low and Endo has told me to see my Primary care Dr. Asap. Why is that so Imp.?
Thanks for all your help,
Rupa

Old 05-10-2009, 12:54 PM   #4
(female)

janld HB User

Hi--sounds like you are in the same state of mind that I am. I have my first appt with surgeon tomorrow for lump. I also got a reply from Reece---isn't she the most comforting person on the map??? I appreciate her knowledge so much and read every single post I can find that she has written. She has been through it all. Try to stand by her last paragraph. That wasn't even written to me, but it gave me comfort for today. She tells many to try and take it one day at the time and I know that is very good advice. Seems to me that thyroid disease and nerves march together---so frustrating!!! Please let me know how you are doing. Janet

Old 05-10-2009, 03:51 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Do you have diabetes? Sometimes thyroid levels do impact blood sugar levels, but in my case, the only thing they monitored after surgery was calcium, (because during thyroid surgery, sometimes the parathyroids can have temporary or permanent damage).

I guess your doctor saw something in your blood work (sugar, iron??) in the hospital, and is being diligent, and making sure your follow up, which you should of course do, but I have a feeling it's not related---advocate for yourself, make sure everything is explained and bring someone with you if you are feeling overwhelmed, so they can listen and explain later.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:59 AM   #6
(female)

rd1 HB User

Hi Janet,
Reece is wonderful, an Angel I should say. I am struggling a little bit for time.;other than that, I am hanging in there.I will keep you updated.
Take care'
Rupa.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:20 AM   #7
(female)

rd1 HB User

Hi Reece,
I can't thank you enough for taking a pesonal interest in all of us here. You are an Angel !
I had Gestational Diabetes, currently my Sugar Level is a little elevateted but Glucose Tolerance Levels are quite high.and apparently I am Anaemic and have to see my Family Dr. for that. Like you I will be at home after the pill.
I am still a little bit confused -about the sequence-I take the pill tommorrow(Wed) and come home and I guess stay locked in my room away from everyone; then I get the Scan on Fri and i guess stay away or stay at arms length from otherrs for 7 days? but can be in the same room?
Rupa.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:40 AM   #8
(female)

janld HB User

Rupa---if you have to do it, glad you're getting started today. The process seems so complicated to me. Will be thinking about you today. I had cat scan for my nodule Monday (late) and just waiting for doc to call. Thought would have heard before now. God Bless, Janet

Old 05-13-2009, 08:17 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sounds like your hospital does it like mine did---in terms of being in the same room, etc, if your hospital doesn't give you good safety instructions, you should request a radiation safety officer (ny has these, I was provided one, and I called him with questions frequently). After the 3 days, you should wait longer to be around kids and pregnant women.

I was told about 6 feet (I had a high dose, 175 millicuries of radiation) is safe for more than a little amt of time, and not to be around people for extended time. My husband slept on the floor for two weeks, because he couldn't be 6 feet away for such long periods of time. Of course, I didn't sleep on the floor

Old 05-15-2009, 03:14 PM   #10
(female)

rd1 HB User

Hi Reece,
I had the scan today but apparantly I was quite unclear about the whole process.Based on the results of this I will now get the Treatment( on 5/18)Which is a HIGH DOSE and will have to follow STRICT RULES for the 48 hrs, after which I can have my REg Meal But make sure that I am still a very SAFE Distance from others and still sleep in a separate room.til next Mon 5/24 and will report to work on 5/25. After the 48 hrs I will start the Thyroid Medication.
I am going along with whatever I am told 'cause I donot know what questions to ask.,any suggestions are welcome.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:10 AM   #11
(female)

rd1 HB User

Hi Jan ,
Yes it is confusing. I was given the low dose and then the scan .My results were immediate and I was told that on Mon 5/18 I woule be getting the Treatment which meant The High dose of Radioiodine and following all the strict rules again!Well I gues its a learning game.I am to go back to work after the long weekend.
How are you? You must have gotten your results by now.
Wish you all the best.
Rupa.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:17 PM   #12
(female)

janld HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd1 View Post
Hi Jan ,
Yes it is confusing. I was given the low dose and then the scan .My results were immediate and I was told that on Mon 5/18 I woule be getting the Treatment which meant The High dose of Radioiodine and following all the strict rules again!Well I gues its a learning game.I am to go back to work after the long weekend.
How are you? You must have gotten your results by now.
Wish you all the best.
Rupa.
Rupa---I know you just want to GET IT OVER WITH!!!! Will be thinking and praying for you tomorrow---it's a frightening thing I'm sure, but I've read Reece's quote---get it out, get over it and go on with a healthful life. That is what you have before you. I do feel so thankful that my CT Scan was good---Lord knows, I was thinking everything bad. In fact, will tell on myself and how crazy I got. When got to diagnostic center that afternoon, gal said the surgeon had ordered the scan from top of my nose down to below my shoulders---WELL, that was all I needed to start building on the cancer thing again. Thought, he thinks it has spread all over me!!!! My mind can just go crazy on me----and, I blame that on my thyroid---I never thought that little gland could have such control over me. Best wishes for tomorrow and know you will be back at work soon and have this off your mind. Janet

Old 05-18-2009, 08:48 AM   #13
(female)

rd1 HB User

Thankyou Jan for your support.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:06 PM   #14
(female)

janld HB User

Rupa--been looking over posts for the week. I haven't been as attentive as I should have. Know you started treatment last Monday and I'm interested in how it went and how you're feeling. Got a week behind you so that is a plus. Thought about you quite a lot this week. Let me hear from you. I'm still thrilled with my scan results, 'tho I know will need surgery for the scar tissue or whatever it is I have. Are you going to be able to get back to work after the holiday? My best, Janet

Old 05-23-2009, 09:31 AM   #15
(female)

rd1 HB User

Hi Janet,
after I took the pill (100m) towards the evening I had severe nausea and the next day started throwing up. Called the doc and was told if it continues i am to pick a prescription they were sending to the pharmacy.I felt a litle better after throwing up, and nausea continued thr' wed.Thursday it was all gone like magic, what a relief! But all I wanted to do is sip iced water all day long (even now). Thurs I also started Synthyroid 75m for 7 days after which I see the doc. on 5/29 and will be told next steps.
Since yesterday I have developed a nagging backache, a mild headache and am soooo exhausted.I have no idea how I am going to last even a hr at work!The day after a holiday is a busy crazy day where I work and as of now with the way I feel I don't know if i'll be able to drive!How can the dr. think that I am fit to work, I fail to understand.
I have the Scan on Fri 5/29 and will be seeing the Dr. I really dont know what Questions to ask-any suggestions welcome.
Have you had any issues with your glucose levels?Mine are a little elevated and have been prescribed Janumet which I am not taking yet.I donot have the strengh both physically and mentally to go thr' the side effects right now.Maybe a week later when I have some energy in me.
BTW, how long does the synthroid take to get you going?

Thanks a lot for all your support.
Rupa.

Closed Thread