It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2009, 06:50 AM   #1
(female)

spegs2 HB User
is it thyroid cancer or what?????

went to see radiologist yesterday and my paths were finally in. he was very excited about what they had to say. it seems that i "may" have a very rare cancer called paraganglioma. HUH???? never heard of it and i could be 1 in 100,000,000 to get it. this cancer seems to attack the carotid artery and adrenal glands but if you read my messages from before you know thats not where they found my cancer. my surgeon sent it out to be tested again because he just doesn't think this is what it is. the tumor was 6.5cm or about 4 inches long and is malignant,whatever it is. my hubby thinks the tumor tried to make it s way to the artery but decided it was to far a trip and thought lets just sit in her thyroid.LOL.i have to laugh or im going to really break down. either way,whatever cancer resides in my system,i go for an mri and full body catscan on friday,get fitted for a mask for radiation and start that in about 3 weeks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2009, 07:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: is it thyroid cancer or what?????

Gosh I'm sorry about your scary news. I hope they act fast and get you through this quickly. It sounds like they are. I've never heard of this either but given the number of people with it I guess I'm not surprised.

Good luck to you and keep us posted as to how you are faring.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2009, 09:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

Yes. I have heard of paraganglioma. They are closely related to pheochromocytomas but are extra adrenal. Most are benign but up to 3% are malignant. There is a lot of information available if you look for it. Good luck with your scan!

Old 08-08-2009, 07:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

It's great that they are acting swiftly to take care of this, but you may want to consider seeing an oncologist too (I'm assuming this radiologist is a radiation oncologist)---if this is something rare, you want to have the best people taking care of this. It seems this has nothing to do with thyroid cancer, even though it found it's way to your thyroid.

So sorry you are going through this, take care of yourself, and empower yourself and learn all you can about it, and get the best care.

Closed Thread