It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2009, 10:44 AM   #1
(female)

tuscansam6 HB User
Thyroid cancer scan

Has anyone heard of a "withdrawal scan" after having a complete thyroidectomy for cancer? I had a full scan in Dec 08 after the surgery, and now I'm scheduled to have the withdrawal one....can anybody explain that to me please...and also why does the tsh have to be greater than 30?
I stopped Synthroid as directed 2 wks prior and my lab work is tomorrow.
Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.
Sami

Last edited by tuscansam6; 09-27-2009 at 10:45 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2009, 11:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Thyroid cancer scan

That sounds confusing. Perhaps it's just a follow up scan. Were you on meds for the first scan?

I assume "withdrawal" means withdrawing from medication---I could be wrong, I never heard that lingo. When your tsh is high, such as 30, any thyroid tissue left in your body will suck up iodine for the scan, so they can see if there's any spread or remaining tissue.

I don't understand why this timing? Did you have an RAI treatment yet to ablate any remaining tissue?

Also, they don't need to do "withdrawal" scans from medication anymore, because there is a medication approved by the FDA called "Thyrogen" and it means you can stay on synthroid, not feel sick, and get the tsh raised by the thyrogen.

Either way, make sure while your tsh is high that they take a thyroglobulin test, and also, two weeks prior to the scan you should go on the low iodine diet to make the scan more accurate.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread