It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2009, 07:22 PM   #1
(male)

captain2 HB User
Anybody not take rai- outcome of thyroid cancer in your 50s

first has anybody got hurthel cell cancer in their 50s. How do you respond to treatment vs younger people. Has anybody refused to take rai after after a hurthle cell hurthle neoplasm was found to be cancerous from partial thyroid removal especially if it was less than 2 cm. Is it manditory to take out 2nd loeb and how do they know ithe cancer is actually spread to the 2nd loeb.

If you dont take out 2nd loeb is there a scan to show that cancer is in that loeb. Finally How does thyrogen injection work for testing. Can I definitively have it before rai or testing. I do not want to go hypo if I decide to take rai.

It seems most people taking rai are not for hurthle cell cancer

Old 10-07-2009, 04:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Anybody not take rai- outcome of thyroid cancer in your 50s

If they find cancer in the first lobe, upon pathology, you will definitely want the second lobe removed, as the only way to know if it's cancerous too is to remove it.

Scans only show thyroid tissue, not specifically thyroid cancer. Pathology is the only way to know.

The only time I've heard of no RAI recommended is less than 1cm, not 2cm. I don't know why you are afraid of RAI, but it is a lot easier than regular radiation, and a lot fewer side effects, few permanent. You should do whatever your doctor recommends to irradicate all thyroid tissue and make sure your cancer doesn't return or spread to other parts of your body.

I think with Hurthle they try RAI first, I think it often works, if it doesn't they have to look for other alternatives, but I know someone with hurthle, she had RAI and is fine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread