It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2010, 07:25 AM   #1
(female)

REE43 HB User
One Year Later After Thyroid Cancer

Its been so long since I have posted here and this was my Godsend place to be when I had my surgery/diagnosis. I am 1 year post op from thyroidectomy for cancer. I will have to go off my meds now to have my annual follow up scan. Kind of scared cant imagine being off meds I think its for 6 weeks. They will give me cytomel to help with some of the withdrawl symptoms I guess. Anyone with info or who has been through this please share info. Thanks. So scary that you finally get regulated on meds and then have to be off.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: One Year Later After Thyroid Cancer

Why can't you use thyrogen for your follow up scan so you don't have to go off your meds?

While there are still a couple of doctors out there that don't recommend it for RAI treatment, it is FDA approved for both scans and treatments, and if you are covered for it, I would demand it.

If you don't get thyrogen, you should be able to stay on cytomel up until 2 weeks prior to the scan (and then start your low iodine diet) so you should only feel junky for about 2 weeks or so.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
(female)

REE43 HB User

My Dr said she doesnt like to use the thyrogen something about masking the results. i will go on the cytomel though so hopefully that will help. Thanks

Old 01-04-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
(female)

tuscansam6 HB User

Congratulations! I too am 1 yr out of thyroid cancer surgery. I had a complete thyroidectomy with a 2.5cm mass removed. I had my full body scan in Oct 09; went off synthroid for 2 weeks and neve felt better! I felt like I used to feel years ago. My mind was alert, less fatigue on a daily basis, slept better at night, no night sweats....overall I felt wonderful! I hated to re-start the meds.
I told my oncologist about how I felt off the meds and my dosage was reduced....I still feel nutty and fatigued and also have rapid heart beats occassionally, but what can I do? I love living!
Everyone's body is different in how it adapts to meds....I hope you don't have such a hard time being off yours and also, I wish you a positive, clear body scan.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:22 PM   #5
(male)

DontHaveThyroid HB User

Had my thyroid removed due to follicular cancer in Dec 2005. So far feeling fine except that I have gone through several levels of synthroid from 175 now down to 125 and most recently my family doc suggested going down to 100. I am seeing the regular endo in 2 weeks to see what he would suggest. Been having some problems tho like irregular heartbeat (thumping/pounding), profuse sweatng after eating anything spicy (even just a little and sweat would POUR down my face like Niagara Falls!), and skin itch, etc.. Oh and serious head fog and reduced reflex like missing steps going up/down stairs and getting jittery when driving. Anyone have similar experience?

Closed Thread