It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2010, 08:10 AM   #1
(female)

frustrated3 HB User
Question Thyroid Cancer

About a year ago I was dx with Thyroid Cancer. I had no signs or symtoms at that time they could only feel nodules. I had half of my thyroid removed and it was positive for ca. A few weeks later I went back in and had the rest removed. Since that time I have been very tired, moody, achey, my fingertips get cold and my incision and drain hole scars irritate me. I was told that I am having these symptoms because I was still hypothyroid and that when my medication (levoythyroxine) was better adjusted I would feel great. Well months have passed and I am currently taking 225 mgs of levoythroxine and I am still feeling tired and etc. My last TSH was done just days ago and was 0.04 which is considered hyperthyroid and this is where they want me to stay because of the cancer. I was told that people with this level cannot sit still sometimes. Well I do not feel this way at all. I am still tired, moody, etc. I was told to see my family doctor. She ordered some more lab work for me....reverse t3- t4- random cortisol- uptake--and some others...which have all, so far, come back as within normal range. So what is wrong with me? I just want to feel like myself again.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
(female)

alaskawild HB User
Re: Thyroid Cancer

I also have thyroid cancer. Had the whole thing removed in 2005. I've been feeling terrible over the last month. Very tired, racing heart, anxious, cranky, don't sleep well, feel internally shaky. Had my tsh checked last week and it was 0.03. I was diagnosed with celiacs last summer and have been gluten free since then and my endo said that my intestines are probably healing and absorbing more synthroid so she had me not take any for a few days and I'm on 137mcg instead of 150mcg. She said it may take a month to feel better. Like you I am kept at the low range for tsh to help keep the cancer away but 0.03 is too low. Usually she keep me around 0.30. I feel awful and feel like not taking my medication. You may just be at too high of a dose. Will your doctor consider lowering your dose? I don't know about you, but I can't live like this. If I'm not doing better in a few days I'm going to call my doctor and ask to be put on an even lower dose. Every scan I've had done is clean so I think it's safe to start bringing me up to normal. I just need to convince my doctor. I'm curious, do your ears ring all the time. Mine are ringing 24/7 and making me a little crazy. I thought it might have to do with the low tsh.

Beth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2010, 05:22 AM   #3
(female)

frustrated3 HB User

I am not sure what the next step is. I am upset because my ears, nose, throat doctor is supposed to managing my levoythyroxine and now they are sending me to my regular doc. I am just so upset! No. My ears do not ring, but my eyes feel funny. I sometimes see streaks or waves....just for a split second. It does not happen often and does not really bother me.....it is the rest of the mess that makes me so frustrated! Thanks for your ideas.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:48 AM   #4
(female)

alaskawild HB User

Maybe an endocrinologist would be better at regulating your thyroid medication. Does one monitor your thyroid cancer? Do you have any opinion on Armor thyroid medication. Some people swear by it and say they feel a lot better on it than on Synthroid. I'm too scared to change meds. Maybe getting better regulated on the Synthroid is what I should focus on.

Beth

Old 03-31-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
(female)

frustrated3 HB User

i have never heard of the armor meds...i will have to look into that. this is all so new for me! thanks

Old 03-31-2010, 12:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

I do not have cancer but, I am hypothyroid.

My insurance filled prescription with generic levoythyroxine last time and my intrenist was not happy at all. He does not believe it works as well as Synthroid. He had to clarify the need for name brand with the insurance company in order for it to be covered.

Perhaps if you took the name brand it would work better for you and be more consistent, just a thought.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
(female)

Yvette13 HB User

Hello,
Maybe someone might shed some light on my situation. Today I just had a biopsy done a few nodules I have on my Thyroid. Now, my Endo dr's states that it might not be anything. But i have 2 weeks to wait for these results and I'm jumping off the walls.
There is no history of Thyroid cancer or any other cancer in my family. Don't show any signs of Thyroid cancer either. I have several nodules, which I've been reading in books is sometimes a good sign of non-carcinoma. But some of the nodules do have some calcification.
Like I said I'm going nuts here and anyone share there thoughts, insight (good or bad) on whats going on. And I'm 30 year old female.

Thanks
Yvette

Old 03-31-2010, 03:14 PM   #8
(female)

alaskawild HB User

My doctor also insists on Synthroid and not the generic because she says it doesn't work as well and people get unpleasant side effects.

Yvette, concerning your biopsy. Your right, nodules can be cancerous and they could also not be cancerous. The waiting is awful, I know. I was diagnosed with cancer in Feb. 2005 and had a total thyroidectomy in March 2005. I went in to the dr. for a yearly pap and complained of being tired and she palpitated my thyroid which no other dr. had ever done and said it was enlarged. Labs showed normal tsh, t3 and t4 but I had thyroid antibodies. No one else in my immediate family has thyroid problems or cancer and I wasn't feeling sick. Just tired. My son who is 15 years old and has type 1 diabetes has thyroid antibodies and we had an ultrasound done and he does have a few small nodules but nothing to warrant a biopsy. We just need to keep and eye on him. I have a sister in law with nodules and no cancer for years. Her sister has the same thing. This probably hasn't helped much but keep in mind you may be just fine. And if it is cancer it is one of the easiest cancers to treat and cure. Let us know when you get your biopsy results. I'll keep an eye on the board. If you do have cancer I can give you any advice you need.

Beth

Old 03-31-2010, 03:24 PM   #9
(female)

Yvette13 HB User

Thank you it has helped a little. I do have 2 cousin with Thyroid problems, one actual has that Hashimoto thyroid problem. Yes trust me when I get the results good or bad you'll hear. This is the only thing that has been hold back my boyfriend and I from starting a family. But I'll keep in touch.
And once again Thank You!

Old 03-31-2010, 03:54 PM   #10
(female)

tami71 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by frustrated3 View Post
About a year ago I was dx with Thyroid Cancer. I had no signs or symtoms at that time they could only feel nodules. I had half of my thyroid removed and it was positive for ca. A few weeks later I went back in and had the rest removed. Since that time I have been very tired, moody, achey, my fingertips get cold and my incision and drain hole scars irritate me. I was told that I am having these symptoms because I was still hypothyroid and that when my medication (levoythyroxine) was better adjusted I would feel great. Well months have passed and I am currently taking 225 mgs of levoythroxine and I am still feeling tired and etc. My last TSH was done just days ago and was 0.04 which is considered hyperthyroid and this is where they want me to stay because of the cancer. I was told that people with this level cannot sit still sometimes. Well I do not feel this way at all. I am still tired, moody, etc. I was told to see my family doctor. She ordered some more lab work for me....reverse t3- t4- random cortisol- uptake--and some others...which have all, so far, come back as within normal range. So what is wrong with me? I just want to feel like myself again.
I had my thyroid removed a little over a year ago. I was hyper and had nodules. Mine were not cancerous thankfully. I take synthroid, (not the generic) and it works great for me. I wonder if it's the levoythyroxine? I have a cousin that is hypothyroid and she was taking that and it made her feel horrible, so bad that she just quit taking it. She recently went back to the doctor and they gave her synthroid and she has been taking it for two weeks and she said she already feels soo much better. I wonder if your doctor would change your medicine to synthroid and see if that makes a difference. If so make sure you don't take the generic one it really makes a difference to take the real stuff I have found out. I wish you all the best.
Tami~

Old 04-01-2010, 05:34 AM   #11
(female)

frustrated3 HB User

thanks for the input..i will definately mention this to the doc.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:49 PM   #12
(female)

Ann2010 HB User
Smile Re: Thyroid Cancer and fatigue

I have the fatigue, trouble sleeping, and feeling achy also. I have thyroid cancer and had my thyroid removed last year in June. I am on daily thryoid medication, but still have the hypo symptoms..I have no answers for you and I hope someone has some ideas to help us get some energy.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:40 AM   #13
(female)

frustrated3 HB User
Re: Thyroid Cancer and fatigue

I was able to get my doc to switch my levoythyroxine to Synthroid. I have to say I might be feeling better. But I still do not feel myself yet. I am seeing and Endo in a few weeks. I hope they can shed some light for me.

Closed Thread