It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2010, 11:10 AM   #1
(female)

jmarie78 HB User
thyroid cancer and pregnancy

I recently was diagnoised with thyroid cancer I had my thyroid removed and next week will be getting radiation treatments my doctor advised against getting pregnant 6 months after but could not tell me the risks, I have tried getting info online but it's really confusing.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: thyroid cancer and pregnancy

are you pregnant now?
if not, I would listen to your doctor!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2010, 11:13 AM   #3
(female)

jmarie78 HB User

I was trying up until I found the news so I'm pretty sure I am not and I'm taking precautions to avoid getting pregnant

Old 06-15-2010, 11:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

that's a smart move.....don't put your body thru too much at one time.
it will take all your strength for a healthy pregnancy
and it will take all your strength to fight the cancer....
don't try to do them at the same time!

Old 06-15-2010, 12:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

I would either get pregnant now (if you want a baby within this year), before the RAI, and do the RAI sometime later after the baby, or wait a Full Year After RAI, depending upon your dosage.

My blood counts were low for a year after RAI for thyroid cancer, and there have been studies that confirm this occurs, so I think it's a good idea to wait. Your other risks are from having radiation in your body. Obviously, radiation would be bad for a developing fetus.

It also really takes time for your body to recover, and to get regulated on a good dose of thyroid medication after RAI. I think waiting is the safest for you and your baby. I agree that focusing on this now, will enable you to focus totally on your family later.

Closed Thread