It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2010, 07:17 AM   #1
(female)

ericarede HB User
Thyroid cancer

I'm 35 years old and was diagnosed with Thyroid Ca in June 2010.
I had a FNA in May, total thyroidectomy and cervical node resection in June whereafter Papillay Ca was confirmed with metastasis to the cervical lymph nodes. I had I-131 in July 2010. I started taking Eltroxin 200 micrograms a day the day after the I-131. a month later the blood tests showed that my body was not absorbing the T3 and T4? my dr then prescribed Diotroxin 1 tablet twice a day with the Eltroxin which i've been taking for 3 weeks now. I have been gaining weight slowly, I feel tired most of the time and I'm experiencing discomfort and pain in my neck with cramps in my legs and shoulders. I can feel a lump in the right side of my neck which I am worried about, but I am only due for my scan at the end of October. Should I relax and wait untill then? or should I see my doctor?
According to my doctor I should stop taking my meds a month before the scan - I am terrified to not take the meds. Is there nothing else that they can do?

Last edited by ericarede; 09-02-2010 at 07:19 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2010, 09:00 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: Thyroid cancer

Diotroxin is a T4/T3 med, right? How much of T4 and T3 are you taking altogether (in micrograms)?

Last edited by FinnMaid; 09-02-2010 at 09:12 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Is your tsh being kept suppressed to prevent a recurrence? I would worry about that first, before tweaking doses to feel better.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:59 PM   #4
(female)

ericarede HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnMaid View Post
Diotroxin is a T4/T3 med, right? How much of T4 and T3 are you taking altogether (in micrograms)?

I am taking 200micrograms Thyroxine and 20 micrograms Lyothyronine a day.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:01 AM   #5
(female)

ericarede HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericarede View Post
I am taking 200micrograms Thyroxine and 20 micrograms Lyothyronine a day.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:04 AM   #6
(female)

ericarede HB User

Not sure what my TSH is at the moment - oncologist said I have to go off meds in order to increase TSH before the next scan?

Old 09-04-2010, 06:08 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

You would think that amount of meds (especially T3) would be enough to suppress TSH

Old 09-04-2010, 07:02 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Oncologists are not always the best for thyroid cancer. Do you live in a place where there's a good hospital--either cancer or university hospital? The best kind of doctor is a very good endocronologist for thyroid cancer. Are you in the US? If not, they would be giving thyrogen.

You shouldn't have to go off meds. You should be able to take thyrogen injections, so you can stay on it.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:47 AM   #9
(male)

kawaljeet HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericarede View Post
I'm 35 years old and was diagnosed with Thyroid Ca in June 2010.
I had a FNA in May, total thyroidectomy and cervical node resection in June whereafter Papillay Ca was confirmed with metastasis to the cervical lymph nodes. I had I-131 in July 2010. I started taking Eltroxin 200 micrograms a day the day after the I-131. a month later the blood tests showed that my body was not absorbing the T3 and T4? my dr then prescribed Diotroxin 1 tablet twice a day with the Eltroxin which i've been taking for 3 weeks now. I have been gaining weight slowly, I feel tired most of the time and I'm experiencing discomfort and pain in my neck with cramps in my legs and shoulders. I can feel a lump in the right side of my neck which I am worried about, but I am only due for my scan at the end of October. Should I relax and wait untill then? or should I see my doctor?
According to my doctor I should stop taking my meds a month before the scan - I am terrified to not take the meds. Is there nothing else that they can do?
I just inquired about the same. Now, the injections have come, which you need to take couple of days before. Doctor was telling me now the patient can have thyroxine tablets as well as idodised containing food/salts. Just need to give couple of injections before the I-131 starts. But mind you the cost of the injections are pretty high. 35,000 INR cost of one injection. Hence total of 70,000.

Closed Thread