It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
(female)

pucklilly HB User
Thyroidectomy but not malignant

I was told I had papillary cancer. I had a total thyroidectomy on Tuesday of last week with central lymph node dissection. My surgeon called me today and said I do NOT have any cancer. Has anyone had this happen? Of course I do not have a thyroid either so I will be on meds from here on out. I'm stunned.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB User
Re: Thyroidectomy but not malignant

That's amazing! I suppose it's better to be safe than sorry though. My mother died of this cancer after a 7 year battle so I'm very happy that you don't have it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2010, 04:18 PM   #3
(female)

cardshark HB Usercardshark HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucklilly View Post
I was told I had papillary cancer. I had a total thyroidectomy on Tuesday of last week with central lymph node dissection. My surgeon called me today and said I do NOT have any cancer. Has anyone had this happen? Of course I do not have a thyroid either so I will be on meds from here on out. I'm stunned.
Did the doc say that the biopsy came back benign or just that you don't have cancer now? He could have been saying that although the thyroid had cancer cells that the margins and lymph nodes were clear so you no longer have cancer.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:00 AM   #4
(female)

pucklilly HB User

From the FNA biopsy she said I had cancer...that it would not be benign. After the final report came back after thyroidectomy she said there was no cancer.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:38 AM   #5
(male)

JaxFireman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucklilly View Post
Next month I am having a total thyroidectomy after a diagnosis of Hurthle Cell Neoplasm, which is follicular if I am not mistaken, without the diagnosis of malignancy. They cannot tell for sure most times with just a biopsy (atleast for my type of cells) because the biopsy might have missed any potential pockets of cancer. Again, in my case, usually they have to remove the thyroid and then have it looked at by a pathologist. They have to do way more detailed examinations that they cannot do otherwise. However, I have a past history of cancer and radiation to my thyroid so I am at an increased risk of it being cancer now, and if it isn't cancer now this type if cell has a risk of it becoming a highly aggressive cancer later. Another problem with the type of cells I have is that it is rare and so there is limited research done on it compared to other thyriod cancers.

My advice to anyone is to always get a 2nd opinion about an major diagnosis of cancer or any other major illness. I walked out of my oncologist's office after discussing surgery and 5 hours later I was on a plane to Memorial Sloan Ketting Cancer Center in NYC to talk to some of the leading experts in the fields of cancer. I was told the same thing up there, and while it sucks, I have the peace of mind knowing before hand that this is the right thing to do.

I would discuss this with your doctor and maybe he can explain why he or she suggested that appraoch and maybe give you a little peace of mind also.

I hope all is well.

Closed Thread