It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2010, 06:40 PM   #1
(female)

JOG1151 HB User
Cyst on thyroid, very scared, question about thyroid cancer

Ultrasound results back, I have a large complex cyst on my thyroid.

My bloodwork came back fine, but Dr. still wants to do a needle biopsy.

Is it possible to have thyroid cancer with your thyroid functioning properly?

I am guessing that this is just a precautionary measure, my Dr. said 96% of the time these cysts are nothing. But he still wants to do a needle biopsy.

How worried should I be?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Cyst on thyroid, very scared, question about thyroid cancer

A "cyst" would be fluid, and a nodule would be solid, I don't know what a "complex cyst" term means exactly.

A "cyst" is very unlikely to be cancer, and usually they can draw out some fluid and it disappears. A nodule is only slightly more likely to be cancer, depending upon it's size, texture, and your fna.

When you say "large" what do you mean by that in cm? If it's very large, over 3cm, and doesn't go away if it's drained (if it's a "cyst" as opposed to a nodule), it might have to be removed if it keeps growing, even if it's benign.

Thyroid cancer is rare, and when I had it, 6 years ago, my blood work was perfect, and my only symptom was the 2.5 cm lump I found on my neck. It's also curable and relatively easily treated in most cases. There is no way to tell thyroid cancer from blood work.

A needle biopsy is the way to go (fna) but sometimes they raise more questions than answers. The only way to really know that everything is okay, sometimes is surgery, but you aren't at that point yet----if this is a "cyst" it might just disappear!

The Following User Says Thank You to Reece For This Useful Post:
JOG1151 (10-27-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread