I don't have the pathology report from my FNA, but it looks as if I have papillary thyroid carcinoma. There may be some follicular cells mixed in. Tumor is 1.8 X 1.5 X .8 single nodule in my right lobe. I only had a regular thyroid ultrasound, not a neck ultrasound, but doc says the nodes they could see in my thryoid ultrasound do not look enlarged. I am 44. We have a vacation to Mexico scheduled Dec 7-16, and wondering if it's okay to wait until we get back to have my TT. Dr. thinks it should be okay since it appears my cancer is of the "well behaved" variety, but warned me that only a surgical biopsy can definitively tell us what kind of cancer this is. Any suggestions appreciated!
Knowing what I know now about thyroid cancer, I probably would wait until I come back from vacation. It's only less than a month. I now I was freaking out when I got my diagnosis and wanted the tumour removed right away but thyroid cancer is slow growing. I don't think 4 weeks would make much difference.
Let us know what you decide and make sure you have a good surgeon who specializes in thyroid surgeries.
My doc read the pathology report to me, and the unequivocal conclusion is papillary thyroid carcinoma. It doesn't sound as if there's a variant detected. After talking to about five different docs, they all said, "go on vacation." So I think I shall. I have an appt. with the endo (specializes in thyroid cancer and will do a neck ultrasound) and the surgeon before we leave.
Still petrified about the surgery and the diagnosis, though.