It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2010, 10:04 AM   #1
(male)

hopkins7 HB User
Can papillary thyroid cancer cause dizziness?

Hello all,

A month ago I was diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer. A routine doctor's appointment led to the discover of a lump in my neck, which was eventually biopsied and confirmed to be cancer.

I am set to have my thyroid removed as well as the lymph nodes on the left side of my neck at Mayo Clinic.

The enlarged lymph node was not and is not painful or tender but I have been experiencing a great deal of dizziness and sometimes fatigue on and off for two months. The dizziness subsided for a few weeks but has come back.

My endocrinologist says the dizziness and fatigue are not related to the thyroid cancer but I still wonder. He also says it's just stress. Nope. I know what stress feels like and this is not from stress. They have done blood tests with everything coming up normal. My blood pressure is excellent. The only other thing I can think of is something with the inner ear, which I'm going to meet with a doctor about.

Just wondering if anyone else with papillary thyroid cancer has experienced dizziness? Thanks much in advance.

Sorry the post is so long.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
(female)

dhwhite HB User
Re: Can papillary thyroid cancer cause dizziness?

I had an FNA yesterday and they are suspicious that it is papillary. I must have the surgery to remove the mass due to its size. Pending on the biopsy results, maybe the whole thyroid will have to come out. I too was dizzy and had head pressure. I'm curious as to what you have found out about it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2010, 07:31 AM   #3
(male)

hopkins7 HB User

Since sending that initial post, I had my thyroid and a few lymph nodes removed. I am on thyroid meds. And, yes, I still have occasional dizziness.

After I'm finished recuperating, I am going to see an Ear, Nose & Throat doctor to get it all figured out.

Good luck!

Old 12-18-2010, 06:02 AM   #4
(female)

dhwhite HB User

My surgery is going to be the week between Xmas and New Year's. Are you back to work yet? How was the operation/recovery, etc. I am getting nervous! My whole body feels weird. My eyes don't seem to be working right, I have burning pain down by back. My neck is stiff. Scalp is tender. I had gone to a neurologist for the dizziness and he did all kinds of mris, etc, which picked up the mass on the thyroid. He came down to thinking it is fibromyalgia, but I don't know about that. Do they do a PET scan after the operation to see if you have any cancer elsewhere?

Old 12-18-2010, 02:58 PM   #5
(male)

hopkins7 HB User

I know it's easy to say but there's no need to get too nervous. Things will be okay. What one imagines in these situations is usually far worse than reality.

The surgery went well. For me, the pain from the surgery was minimal, which was surprising. Don't get me wrong. There is some pain and discomfort. But it really is not that bad.

I am not back to work yet. I have only been out for one week. There is fatigue from the surgery and some adjusting to the medication. But that should improve very shortly.

If you haven't already, it's probably a good idea to share how you're feeling with your endocrinologist and/or surgeon BEFORE your surgery.

The scan and radioactive iodine treatment will probably happen within the next month or two, after my endocrinologist reviews the pathology results. Both my surgeon and endocrinologist are reassuring that the prognosis is excellent. It's a blip in the road, not a dead end, they told me.

Closed Thread