It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
(female)

cheryl078 HB User
Unhappy Ultrasound found 3 Thyroid nodules and I am freaking out

I am a 32 year old female. Last week my Doctor sent me for a Thyroid ultrasoud and bloodwork because of an assymetrical thyroid. The bloodwork came back normal. The ultrasound showed I have 3 nodules. One is very large(4cm) on the right and two smaller ones (1.5cm and 1.7cm on the left). Nodules are not fluid filled. I have been having some neck pain and some ear pain. Can benign nodules cause pain in the neck and ear? I know that most nodules are benign, but I have been looking on the internet alot and I am scared that I could have cancer. She is sending me to an ENT but my appointment isn't until next Tuesday and I am freaking out. Any insight?

The following user gives a hug of support to cheryl078:
jeanniebj (01-30-2011)
Old 01-21-2011, 12:25 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Ultrasound found 3 Thyroid nodules and I am freaking out

I too, have nodules on my thyroid, and have for quite some time. My doctor insisted that I not worry about them one tiny bit, and I took his advice. Every month at my regular appointment he checks the nodules and every three months, I get another ultrasound to see if there has been in increase in size. It has been almost a year now, and so far, so good. He says that 95% of them are benign, and he has never lead me wrong.

Adding worry to your life to the point of freaking out is never helpful to any medical issue (and I have a list of serious ones). Worry and stress are very hard on all systems of the body, and the sooner you can learn some relaxation or stress relieving things, the better.

Until your appointment, I would encourage you to take some extra care of yourself, find some enjoyable activities to do, and take the focus off your thyroid. It is likely that these nodules did not appear quickly, and you have been living with them for some time.

As far as the ear and neck pain, only your doctor can tell you if they are related. Have you mentioned the pain to your doctor already? If not, that is another question for your ENT next Tuesday.

Until then, please try and stay positive, as our attitude is the only thing we have a choice in. Choosing to look at the positive side of everything, (and there always is one) we can overcome most anything, as well as avoid unwanted stress and fear in our lives. I wish you the best, and please let us know what you find out next Tuesday. If you would like support while you are waiting, we are glad to offer you that too.

Hang in there...Tuesday is really very close.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2011, 06:29 PM   #3
(female)

msterra37 HB User

I have several nodules on mine. The largest one is around 2cm- and then some smaller ones. I have been checked twice and had two fine needle biopsies. I can tell you most of the time you have nothing to worry about. I did find out that the fine needle biopsies can show benign (nodule) and then the thyroid can be cancer. Remember, cancer is rare in cases like this but I know people personally that has had it. In the last 6 months I have been showing signs of hoarseness, pain in throat and neck, and lymph node swelling which are all signs of cancer so I have found a fantastic surgeon that can go in throught the back of neck (facelift style) and take it out in March. I am not waiting around on it- that is for sure. Also, if your doctor ever suggest RAI (radioactive iodine) please do your research on it...I have for months and it is not pretty. Good luck to you!!

Old 01-29-2011, 05:37 AM   #4
(female)

cheryl078 HB User

Thanks you two for the positive words. I went to the endo and she is sending me for a biopsy on February 3rd. She is not really worried about the smaller two but the big one is large and complex so she wants to get it checked out. I have been having alot of neck pain still and starting to have some dificulty swallowing while laying down. I am nervous but there is not much I can do til the biopsy results come back.. Til then I will just pray and hope for the best. Thanks!

The following user gives a hug of support to cheryl078:
msterra37 (01-29-2011)
Old 01-29-2011, 06:44 AM   #5
(female)

Murphys1 HB User

Try not to read anymore on the internet because you can find a different answer for everything you post and you will get more worried and more confused. Find a really good doctor who will do a biopsy on the nodules. That is the best way to find out what they are. Supposedly about 85 to 90%of these are benign. Just because you have a nodule does not mean you have cancer. However, get them checked so you will stop worrying. Even the worst case scenario, thyroid cancer is usually very treatable. Hang in there.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:44 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Cheryl,

I am glad your biopsy is going to happen this week, the less time you have to worry the better...I am wishing you the best, and would you please come back and let us know how it went and what the results are once you know them?

Old 01-29-2011, 10:22 PM   #7
(female)

Yannick HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryl078 View Post
Thanks you two for the positive words. I went to the endo and she is sending me for a biopsy on February 3rd. She is not really worried about the smaller two but the big one is large and complex so she wants to get it checked out. I have been having alot of neck pain still and starting to have some dificulty swallowing while laying down. I am nervous but there is not much I can do til the biopsy results come back.. Til then I will just pray and hope for the best. Thanks!
Cheryl
You have one nodule that is fairly large and since you are having some problems with your neck, I think your doctor will probably recommend taking the nodule out, even if it is benign.
Let us know what the FNA says. I had my thyroid removed over 6 months ago and I am doing just fine. Don't panic. Looking back, I wish I had not worried as much as I did but I know the anguish you feel prior to a biopsy result.
Y.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:41 AM   #8
(female)

jeanniebj HB User

I agree with Murphys1, bear in mind that most of us here are coming from our frame of reference and our particular experience and it does not necessarily mean your presentation with be the same or even similar. I had my surgery in October 2009, and what I read was information that educated me on what to expect under the "text book" cases only after my diagnosis was confirmed. I wanted to know what could happen with such a surgery. Once you get your diagnosis, just remember that there are many out there that have experienced the same thing. My surgery was by far the exception and not the rule according to my doctors. I had a few complications, but because I knew that it could happen, I did not panic. < edited > Write your concerns down and take them with you when you visit your doctor because you will not remember everything when you have your appointment. I know that I had a notebook of questions and I wrote my questions down and wrote his answers underneath after I asked my questions.

God be with you.

Last edited by hb-mod; 01-30-2011 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Please do not post unapproved website links- Posting Policy. (Some "Approved" websites in "Resources" tab- bottom screen)

Old 02-11-2011, 07:47 AM   #9
(female)

cheryl078 HB User

Just got the biopsy results back and they were benign. Thank goodness. Now I am not so sure I want to rush and get them taken out. The doctor thinks that some of the symptoms I was having was anxiety. Ever since a few days before my biopsy I have been feeling great and have had no pain, no shortness of breath or any other discomfort. Even though one of my nodules is large at 4cm, I am thinking about watching it and getting another ultrasound in 6 months and go from there. It is a little noticable and unsightly, but I keep thinking that before December I didn't even know it was there and am probably noticing it more now because I am aware of it. I hope I am making the right decision just to watch it. I don't want unessessary surgery and I don't want to be on medication for the rest of my life if I don't have to. Any advice?

Last edited by cheryl078; 02-11-2011 at 07:50 AM.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:50 AM   #10
(female)

Yannick HB User

Good to hear that it's benign.
Did your neck pain and difficulty swallowing go away? Were these symptoms really due to anxiety?
I understand your reluctance to have surgery. It sounds like you've already made your decision, so I would just make sure you monitor the nodules and get another ultra sound in 6 months. It's not an urgent matter at this point, so just wait :-)

Old 02-11-2011, 07:18 PM   #11
(female)

jeanniebj HB User

My first biopsy was negative but a CT scan was also ordered and that showed a thickening in my larynx and prompted further testing. I was referred to an ENT and he immediately redid the biopsy and called a few days later to give me the "good" news." That I had cancer. Anyway, I had surgery and as I said before had some complications. Because the cancer was so advanced, I was instructed to get tested every 6 months. At my first testing, blood work and scan, the scan was clean, but my thyroblobulin level was elevated. They ordered a CT, MRI, and everything was negative, but my thyroglobulin level kept creeping up. I was given another round of the radiodine a week ago, then scanned. The scan was still negative, and of course, the thyroglobulin was more elevated again. So, we are up to getting a PET scan done in a week or so. I keep hearing everyone talk about this is the "best" cancer to have, and I often wonder what that really means. I have not had a good time with the "best" cancer. Cancer is Cancer and it changes your life, whether you want to believe it or not. I am achy all the time, my joints hurt, I am moody and sometimes I have a tremendous amount of difficulty standing as it feels like my joints will not hold me. I had in excess on 50 lymph nodes taken out and according to the pathology report, they tested approximately 22 and all were positive for cancer. I am disappointed and feel like my doctors have let me down. I have an HMO and I finally understand what managed care means. They manage to do as little as possible.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:03 AM   #12
(female)

terrikronmeyer HB User

Hi I too had a few nodules and I found the big one myself on my left thyroid. It had some cyctic fluid attached to it. My endo doctor did tsh t4 levels all perfect. The fine needle biopsy came back inconclusive so we went with taking out the left thyroid yesterday. I am doing very well. Hopefully it will not be cancer, I am 47. It grew to be about under the size of a golf ball, so glad to have the bugger out. And who wants to wear turtle necks in the summer time, just kidding. I have 8 steri strips and glad they did not use staples. The site looks good. I have also learned that there has been research to show that emotions can link to your immune system, so keep it positive thinking for now. These things are more common than we think. T

Last edited by terrikronmeyer; 05-11-2011 at 04:04 AM.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:05 AM   #13
(female)

terrikronmeyer HB User

Hang in there!

Last edited by terrikronmeyer; 05-11-2011 at 04:08 AM.

Closed Thread