It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2011, 09:41 AM   #1
(female)

Lady Rogue HB User
Question New, with questions! Long post...

Hello All,

I'm brand new to the forum and I'm really glad to have found you all! I have some questions regarding nodules and the like. But first, my info. I'm a 37 year old Middle School Teacher with 4 children. I'm married to a wonderful man who is truly amazing. In November, I had MRIs done on my spine, as I have deterioration. They discovered a nodule on the left lobe of my thyroid. At the time, I didn't even know it was there. But I had been having a sore throat from October on. I didn't find out about the nodule until February. I guess they didn't think I needed to know about it? Anyway, by this time, you could feel it, but only when I swallowed and you had to push to feel it. By March, it had grown even more so that it was definitely palpable without any pushing/swallowing. I had an US followed by a CT scan. One stated that I had a 1cm nodule, the other said a 1.2cm solitary nodule on the left lobe of my thyroid. My thyroid was also inflammed. The left side of my neck swelled up and I started feeling pain that would radiate from my neck up into my left ear/temple and down into my left shoulder, arm and chest. The doctor set up an appointment with an Endo and put me on antibiotics (this was the 5th round of antibiotics since November).

At this point (May), the nodule is visible in my neck, as well as several other swollen lymph nodes. I've gained weight (35lbs since October), I'm tired all the time, my joints have recently started aching like I have the flu tho I'm not sick, my hair and skin is dry, I have acne like a teenager and I feel completely run down. My throat hurts most of the time and I usually need to drink liquids so I can talk without the hoarseness (I'm a teacher, so I need my voice).

When I saw the Endo last Weds (May 4th), she stated that there's nothing wrong with my thyroid, tho they did 2 USs and then FNB. She took 4 samples and said I'd have the results by May 10th. She then stated she thought I had Cushing's disease, so had me do the 24hr Urine collection. The Endo said if it's benign, she'll see me in 6 months. If it's not, she'll either take out just the left lobe or remove the entire thyroid, depending on results. When I asked about the pain I'm having, she said it's not from my thyroid. What?!?

I called yesterday and the nurse couldn't tell me anything other than she "thought" my labs looked ok, tho they couldn't find the biopsy results. Last night, the Endo called after 7pm and left a message (I wasn't home) saying she'd try to talk with me today. Is anyone else having pain like I've described? If so, what happened? Also, I've been told I should consult an ENT, as that's who would do surgery on the nodule anyway. Any thoughts on this? I'm truly sick and tired of being sick and tired.... Sorry for the long post...I guess I just need to vent.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2011, 11:40 PM   #2
(female)

Lady Rogue HB User
Unhappy Re: New, with questions! Long post...

Update: My biopsy came back and my Endo has scheduled me for a Surgeon Consult to remove my thyroid. I still don't have the details of the type of malignancy, as my Endo and I have been playing phone tag. But she'd told me that if my biopsy came back malignant, I'd be having surgery followed by the Iodine treatment. If it wasn't malignant, then I'd see her for my follow up appointment in November. So, at this point I'm in limbo as to what the nodule is; but, I'll be meeting with the surgeon on May 23rd.

The following user gives a hug of support to Lady Rogue:
worrywartmom39 (05-16-2011)
Old 05-19-2011, 08:43 AM   #3
(female)

Lady Rogue HB User
Question Re: New, with questions! Long post...

Thank you for the hug, Worrywart. I need it. I see the surgeon on Monday. My Endo couldn't confirm the type of cancer. So we'll have to see what happens when they take it out. For now they are going to treat it as papillary or follicular...ie: thyroidectomy and RAI (spelling?).

I do have a question for those of you who have had cancer. I've been running fevers every day, I'm aching all over, particuraly my joints and my neck and for the past few nights, I wake up drenched in sweat. I'm fairly ok in the morning, but by the afternoon, I feel so weak and like I have a bad flu. Is this normal? My lymph nodes are really swollen throughout my neck, and down under my left armpit (the cancer is on the left of my thyroid). Are these all symptoms of cancer? Or am I getting sick from a lowered immune system?

Thanks in advance for any responses. I could sure use some support right now. Feeling a bit down.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:30 AM   #4
(female)

Lady Rogue HB User
Post Re: New, with questions! Long post...

Surgery was set for June 9th, then got a call yesterday that they moved it up to June 7th. Bloodwork came back good, which means I don't have any infections causing all of the lymphnode swelling. My lymphnodes are swollen all around my neck, up into my head, down along my collarbone (left side) and under my armpit/left breast. Had my OPAC appt yesterday and they confirmed that it is the cancer causing my fevers, night sweats, weakness and aching joints. That scares me. Will have to wait and see what the surgeon finds when they do surgery.

The following user gives a hug of support to Lady Rogue:
BSG (06-10-2011)
Old 06-10-2011, 07:44 AM   #5
(female)

BSG HB User
Re: New, with questions! Long post...

Wow, sounds like you're in a very stressful situation! I hope your surgery goes well and you find out what is going on. Not knowing is a huge part of the stress. At least if you knew what you were dealing with, then you would know what to expect. I have a smilar sort of situation going on (I have post on here about possible Thyroid Lymphoma) so I can sort of relate. Although my symptoms are not as severe as yours. Hang in there and let us know how you are doing!!

Old 06-10-2011, 10:01 PM   #6
(female)

famnd1 HB User

LR,

Your symptoms sound so much like mine when I had Thyroiditis. Aspirin worked so well for me. The Dr. wanted me to take steriods but my b/p would have soared.

It is my understanding that thyroid cancer can not be determined until the gland or lobe is under the microscope after being visually looked at.

There is still a chance you may have something else.

What are your Thyroid lab values? Fam

Old 08-14-2011, 07:45 PM   #7
(female)

blessediam HB Userblessediam HB Userblessediam HB Userblessediam HB User

I am also new here. I am truly sorry for what you are going through. I went through the thyroid madness last September. My lump was found by my primary doctor, who in turn sent me to an endocrinologist. From there, I had an ultrasound and a fine needle biopsy, both of which could not definitely identify what was there. So, off I went to an ENT surgeon, who suggested that I have thyroid surgery to see what was going on. During the surgery, it was discovered that I had a less than 1 cm nodule on my left side, and a smaller nodule on my right side. It was discussed with my family, while I was still under, and decided that they should remove the entire thyroid. My one suggestion would be to see a doctor that you feel comfortable with, to find out what is really going on. When it comes to the thyroid, doctors can be very cavalier. We as thyroid patients have to be our own best advocate. Good luck.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:52 AM   #8
(female)

catnap73 HB User

Hi there. How did your surgery go? Did you get confirmation of what type of cancer you had?? I'm seeing a surgeon this week to discuss my TT so trying to do a bit of research without scaring myself with statistics (I may have medullary). Thanks and hope you are doing well.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:26 PM   #9
(female)

blessediam HB Userblessediam HB Userblessediam HB Userblessediam HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnap73 View Post
Hi there. How did your surgery go? Did you get confirmation of what type of cancer you had?? I'm seeing a surgeon this week to discuss my TT so trying to do a bit of research without scaring myself with statistics (I may have medullary). Thanks and hope you are doing well.
Hi,

My surgery went very well, as I am sure, yours will also. Went in about 7 am. Came home the next day around 9 am. Please do not worry yourself about statistics. My scar is almost invisible. If you have a good surgeon, you have very little to worry about. Everyone is different. What happens with someone else, probably will not happen with you. I try to think as an individual. I hear many stories some good, some not so good, but everyone is different. Moreso than the surgery, I think getting titrated to the right thyroid medicine was more difficult than the surgery. My surgery was a year ago Sept 30. I am beginning to feel pretty good now, but for a while I was off and on. It takes a while to find your sweet spot. Some get put on med, and go on to live a good normal life. Some people have papillary and medullary cancer. It is hard to tell what yours really is, until they examine it after surgery. When I went in, they did not know whether or not I had papillary cancer, or any cancer for that matter. Was not confirmed until after my surgery, that it was papillary. I always tell thyroid people this; Think positive, hope for the best, and pray to the Lord. You will be just fine. P

Old 10-11-2011, 11:14 AM   #10
(female)

SHARONC3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Rogue View Post
Hello All,

I'm brand new to the forum and I'm really glad to have found you all! I have some questions regarding nodules and the like. But first, my info. I'm a 37 year old Middle School Teacher with 4 children. I'm married to a wonderful man who is truly amazing. In November, I had MRIs done on my spine, as I have deterioration. They discovered a nodule on the left lobe of my thyroid. At the time, I didn't even know it was there. But I had been having a sore throat from October on. I didn't find out about the nodule until February. I guess they didn't think I needed to know about it? Anyway, by this time, you could feel it, but only when I swallowed and you had to push to feel it. By March, it had grown even more so that it was definitely palpable without any pushing/swallowing. I had an US followed by a CT scan. One stated that I had a 1cm nodule, the other said a 1.2cm solitary nodule on the left lobe of my thyroid. My thyroid was also inflammed. The left side of my neck swelled up and I started feeling pain that would radiate from my neck up into my left ear/temple and down into my left shoulder, arm and chest. The doctor set up an appointment with an Endo and put me on antibiotics (this was the 5th round of antibiotics since November).

At this point (May), the nodule is visible in my neck, as well as several other swollen lymph nodes. I've gained weight (35lbs since October), I'm tired all the time, my joints have recently started aching like I have the flu tho I'm not sick, my hair and skin is dry, I have acne like a teenager and I feel completely run down. My throat hurts most of the time and I usually need to drink liquids so I can talk without the hoarseness (I'm a teacher, so I need my voice).

When I saw the Endo last Weds (May 4th), she stated that there's nothing wrong with my thyroid, tho they did 2 USs and then FNB. She took 4 samples and said I'd have the results by May 10th. She then stated she thought I had Cushing's disease, so had me do the 24hr Urine collection. The Endo said if it's benign, she'll see me in 6 months. If it's not, she'll either take out just the left lobe or remove the entire thyroid, depending on results. When I asked about the pain I'm having, she said it's not from my thyroid. What?!?

I called yesterday and the nurse couldn't tell me anything other than she "thought" my labs looked ok, tho they couldn't find the biopsy results. Last night, the Endo called after 7pm and left a message (I wasn't home) saying she'd try to talk with me today. Is anyone else having pain like I've described? If so, what happened? Also, I've been told I should consult an ENT, as that's who would do surgery on the nodule anyway. Any thoughts on this? I'm truly sick and tired of being sick and tired.... Sorry for the long post...I guess I just need to vent.

Closed Thread