It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
(female)

Tisha Mac HB User
Follicular cancer

I had a scan, then a fine needle biopsy. The FNA was inconclusive so now I am going to have a diagnostic lobectomy. The pathologist said it "probably" was not cancer but am will have to have the lobectomy as a precaution. I am freaking out about it. Anyone else have this problem? The FNA ruled out all cancers except the Follicular cancer.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:13 AM   #2
(female)

anxiousagain HB Useranxiousagain HB User
Re: Follicular cancer

Hi Tisha, I'm sorry no on responded to you. I too am going through anxiety over a thyroid nodule so I can relate. From everything I've read, only 20% of these follicular type situations turn out to be malignant. The odds are largely in your favor that it's not.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
(female)

Tisha Mac HB User

Well, I should have followed up. I had surgery two weeks ago tomorrow and it was NOT cancer. Thank you Jesus. He said he did see a small one on my right lobe but wants to keep an eye on it. He said it may have been there for years. I hope all goes well with you. Yes, we were told thyroid nodules are very common and most are not cancer. That's all well and good but when it's a nodule on you, you worry.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:33 AM   #4
(female)

Thank you for the update, Tisha Mac. As it turns out, I just got the exact same FNA result as you: follicular cells so they can't rule out cancer. The doctor I spoke with said 85-90% are benign. I'm praying, like you, I'm in the majority. How are you doing following surgery? I'll be scheduling mine as soon as I can get in for a consult.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:33 AM   #5
(female)

Tisha Mac HB User

Apparently, the follicular cancer is a hard one to detect with a FNA. I am finding it is a very common occurance. I just know you will be fine too but also can relate to your concern. I am doing great after surgery. Other than being sore and having to stay out of the pool for a week, it was a non-event. I had surgery at 9 am and was going home at 6. Please let me know how it went and if you don't mind, I will pray for you as others prayed for me.

Last edited by Tisha Mac; 07-06-2011 at 04:33 AM.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:39 AM   #6
(female)

I would love for you to pray for me, Tisha! Did you end up having just the lobectomy then? I've been speaking with another girl with a large nodule who also had the follicular cells. Pathology during surgery was negative. She's just awaiting the final pathology. I'm glad it all turned out well for you.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:49 PM   #7
(female)

Tisha Mac HB User

I will keep you in my prayers. Not only for a good outcome but that you may have some peace between now and when you get your good news. I did have a lobectomy on my left side. The nodule I had was 2 cm, so not considered large. I found it myself while applying moisturizer. After the needle biopsy it went down quite a bit, I guess they pulled a lot of fluid off of it. I had surgery on a Tuesday, pathology during surgery was negative but I didn't get an all clear until the following Monday. It was agonizing. When my doctor called I began to weep because I was so happy. My poor husband was scared to death. So, about you. Are you waiting to see a surgeon? Where do you live? I live in Van Buren, Ark and had surgery in Springdale, Ark. Please keep me posted and know that I know what you are going through and that I care.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tisha Mac For This Useful Post:
anxiousagain (07-06-2011)
Old 07-06-2011, 07:45 PM   #8
(female)

Thanks, Tisha. I already have one surgical consult lined up and I'm trying to get in for another. I live in Pennsylvania. My nodule is much larger than yours: 3.6 cm. Interestingly enough, I cannot really see it or feel it. Even the doctors have to press down pretty hard to detect it. The endocrinologist was able to see it, but only when I tipped my head way back and drank water. He could not see it when I sat straight in front of him and swallowed normally. That's why this has taken me by such surprise. Everyone else I know who had one even remotely close to the size of mine found it themselves. I appreciate your support and prayers more than you can know!

Old 07-07-2011, 04:22 AM   #9
(female)

Tisha Mac HB User

I am curious. Your go by Anxiousagain. Have you had a cancer scare in the past?

Old 07-07-2011, 06:24 AM   #10
(female)

No, but my brother was diagnosed with cancer at the age of 30. (Thankfully he's fine now.) I went through a lot of anxiety over that, which in retrospect was probably thyroid related despite being told my lab numbers were normal.

The following user gives a hug of support to anxiousagain:
Tisha Mac (07-08-2011)
Old 08-12-2011, 06:30 PM   #11
(female)

Tisha Mac HB User

How are things going?

Old 08-13-2011, 06:24 AM   #12
(female)

Thanks for checking in, Tisha! I had my surgery on Monday. Although the surgery itself went well, I had a lot of issues with the breathing tube. Five days later, my voice is still not where it should be, but it has improved since the first day. The good news is the first thing the surgeon told my family was that he would lean toward benign from what he saw. It was also completely confined to the thyroid, so it was a straight TT. Now I just have to wait for the final pathology, which I will get this upcoming Wednesday at my follow-up appointment. I'm worried and a little sad that I may never talk the same again, but the doctor said to give it time before we jump to any conclusions.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:36 AM   #13
(female)

Tisha Mac HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxiousagain View Post
Thanks for checking in, Tisha! I had my surgery on Monday. Although the surgery itself went well, I had a lot of issues with the breathing tube. Five days later, my voice is still not where it should be, but it has improved since the first day. The good news is the first thing the surgeon told my family was that he would lean toward benign from what he saw. It was also completely confined to the thyroid, so it was a straight TT. Now I just have to wait for the final pathology, which I will get this upcoming Wednesday at my follow-up appointment. I'm worried and a little sad that I may never talk the same again, but the doctor said to give it time before we jump to any conclusions.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:38 AM   #14
(female)

Tisha Mac HB User

That sounds awesome. I'm sure your throat is just scratched and it will heal. I was hoarse for a few days but it was not serious. I just know your final results are going to be fine. Please let me know. I've been thinking about you.

The following user gives a hug of support to Tisha Mac:
anxiousagain (08-13-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to Tisha Mac For This Useful Post:
anxiousagain (08-13-2011)
Closed Thread