It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2011, 08:40 AM   #1
(female)

kasens mommy HB User
Exclamation large neck mass (help!)

im a 20 year old female about a week and a half ago i noticed a lump on ny neck and my doctor had me go for a sono then a catscan it measures 4.7cm x 2.7cm i am now awaiting my apointment for a FNA biopsy abd am confused how i never noticed something this large the catscan shows its on my right thyroid gland but blood test for thyroid disorders came back normal and also normal white blood cell came back normal the mass is solid and not cystic i have no other symtoms besides in the morning it feels like theres kinda like a hair ball in my throat until i eat ... my question is does any one maybe know what this could be or has any 1 had a similar experience and does this sound likr it would be malignant or can this still be benign even though its so large any info/stories/questions are welcome thanks again

Old 05-26-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: large neck mass (help!)

Blood work can't diagnose thyroid cancer. The only true diagnostic tool is full pathology during a surgery. Nobody can tell you it's cancer without at least a positive for cancer tissue test. The other tests such as an fna, (needle aspiration biopsy) can usually only help you determine if you need surgery or not.

Unfortunately, your tumor has grown very much out of control. I'm surprised it hasn't constricted your swallowing or breathing or caused you discomfort. You should find a really great amazing thyroid surgeon at a university hospital or at a cancer center, and get that out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2011, 07:01 PM   #3
(female)

kasens mommy HB User

im going june 1st for my fna ... you think its a tumor since that is what you wrote?

Old 06-03-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
(female)

kasens mommy HB User

i got my biopsy done on the june 1st and got my results a day later the doctor said that it dident turn up malignant or benign but that there where some cells that couldent be determined threw fna she said there where suspisious follicular cells and its best to go ahead with the surgery and test it for cancer when the surgery is in the process she had wanted me to get the surgery any ways since the size of nodule is quite large also if it shows up to be cancer my whole right thyroid will be gone when i wake up has any 1 had results similar to mine and if so how did it turn out?

Old 06-17-2011, 01:25 PM   #5
(female)

anxiousagain HB Useranxiousagain HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasens mommy View Post
i got my biopsy done on the june 1st and got my results a day later the doctor said that it dident turn up malignant or benign but that there where some cells that couldent be determined threw fna she said there where suspisious follicular cells and its best to go ahead with the surgery and test it for cancer when the surgery is in the process she had wanted me to get the surgery any ways since the size of nodule is quite large also if it shows up to be cancer my whole right thyroid will be gone when i wake up has any 1 had results similar to mine and if so how did it turn out?
Wondering if you've had your surgery yet and what the results are. I too am facing a very large (suspicious) nodule (3.6x2.2x1.8 cm). My FNA was scheduled for the 22nd but they've bumped it back to the 29th now. The waiting is killing me. I'm terrified. Don't feel bad that you didn't notice yours. Although I suspected I had a nodule, I could not see or feel mine and I still can't unless I do some major pushing around in there. I think most of it is hidden under the collarbone.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
(female)

kasens mommy HB User

wow how intresting my surgery is scheduled for june 29th also it was suposed to be for the 15 th and it got pushed back as well yeah it really sucks waiting i did have my consultation with my surgeon about a week ago and he said that he is going to remove half of the right side of my thyroid which is where the nodule is growing and test is while im in the process of my surgery and if its cancer which he told me its a 30% chance it could be hes removing my left and right thyroid right away so i could wake up with no thyroid at all and be on pills the rest of my life also he said even if it is cancer he said that i wony have to do any thing except possible radioactive iodine... which isnt too pleasant i read but its better then going through chemo my surgeon was very positive he made me feel 10000 times better when he said i will live to see my baby (8 months) grow and anoy me until hes nice and old... so im trying to think positive that whatever it is i get threw it ....

Old 06-17-2011, 04:28 PM   #7
(female)

kasens mommy HB User

my nodule is growing on my thyroid is your also mine is more near my adams apple not my collar bone i think i couldent see it because it is growing towards the inside of my neck ?? im not sure but its kind of visable when i bring my head all the way back its like alittle bit bigger then an egg shape puffy area my endo said that this isnt something that just appeared its been growing for a while now and she cant believe that i dont have trouble breathing or swollowing ( which i dont at all ) how old are you? and is your surgeon doing the same procedure? if it is malignant ( god forbid)??

The following user gives a hug of support to kasens mommy:
anxiousagain (06-17-2011)
Old 06-17-2011, 07:46 PM   #8
(female)

Quote:
my nodule is growing on my thyroid is your also mine is more near my adams apple not my collar bone i think i couldent see it because it is growing towards the inside of my neck ?? im not sure but its kind of visable when i bring my head all the way back its like alittle bit bigger then an egg shape puffy area my endo said that this isnt something that just appeared its been growing for a while now and she cant believe that i dont have trouble breathing or swollowing ( which i dont at all ) how old are you? and is your surgeon doing the same procedure? if it is malignant ( god forbid)??
Yes, my nodule is growing on my throid, but it's on the right lobe, not in the middle. In fact, according to the ultrasound report, it's almost as big as the entire right lobe. Unbelievable when you look at it that way that neither of us knew it was there! I do have occasional MINOR swallowing issues, but I would have never equated them to the thyroid until I found out how big it is.

I just turned 41. I don't have a surgeon yet. Biopsy first then referral to surgeon if it's suspicious, malignant or (probably) indeterminant. Given the size, however, I'm thinking the endo might recommend partial removal even if the biopsy is clean. (I've heard biopsies can be wrong.) In that case, I think I'm going to press for total removal. I have small nodules on the other side as well and I don't want to have to have them monitored the rest of my life. In your case it's probably safe to opt for the partial if the surgery pathology is negative.

One step at a time, right? But I have to wonder what these doctors who keep rescheduling our appointments would do if they were in our situation with a giant mass!

Old 06-17-2011, 07:55 PM   #9
(female)

kasens mommy HB User

yeah mine is also on my right thyroid it just looks like its more toward the front right side wen i tilt my head back when igot my ultrasound the mass barely fit on her screen i no how crazy it is that they make us wait for our surgery i felt the same way but although i want this taken care of as soon as possible i asked if it makes a diffrence that i have to wait so long and my surgeon said no and i even called my endo who refered me to him and she also said that the sooner the better but a few days more is perfectly fine....

Old 06-17-2011, 08:52 PM   #10
(female)

rhondakay70 HB User

I had they same surgrey done 7 yrs ago, after my surgury i found out that it did have cancer in it but it not go outside of the thyroid. i did not get cheomo or anything else after surgury. i have taken folic acid . i have not ha any other proublems with cancer
rhonda

Old 06-17-2011, 09:01 PM   #11
(female)

kasens mommy HB User

really that is really great to here that everything went well after that ....you dident even have the radioactive iodine ? my surgeon said if its cancer thats is the most i would have to do besides taking pills everyday

Old 06-18-2011, 06:35 AM   #12
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondakay70 View Post
I had they same surgrey done 7 yrs ago, after my surgury i found out that it did have cancer in it but it not go outside of the thyroid. i did not get cheomo or anything else after surgury. i have taken folic acid . i have not ha any other proublems with cancer
rhonda
Thanks for chiming in, Rhonda. Was your mass as large as the ones we're talking about?

Old 06-21-2011, 11:30 AM   #13
(female)

Quote:
Sorry I keep jumping in here, but as my own FNA approaches, I'm wondering if you can tell me how painful your biopsy was. Since yours was solid like mine, I'm thinking you can give me the best gauge. Did they use anesthetic? Given where my nodule is located (right behind the collarbone) even the ultrasound was slightly uncomfortable so I'm not expecting this to be a fun time.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:18 PM   #14
(female)

kasens mommy HB User

its okay any questions are welcome ummm mine for me did not hurt at all it felt like the slightest bit of presure when they move the needle up and down they took 4 diffrent samples so tht happened 4 times i did not have the needle that numbs the pain instead this place uses a spray that was reapplied every few seconds i liked that they used the spray it was just cold i have read the needle they give to numb the area before taking the samples hurts the more then the whole precedure so if they have the numbing spray i recomend that ... im sorry im not sure what it is called..

Old 06-21-2011, 02:58 PM   #15
(female)

Quote:
its okay any questions are welcome ummm mine for me did not hurt at all it felt like the slightest bit of presure when they move the needle up and down they took 4 diffrent samples so tht happened 4 times i did not have the needle that numbs the pain instead this place uses a spray that was reapplied every few seconds i liked that they used the spray it was just cold i have read the needle they give to numb the area before taking the samples hurts the more then the whole precedure so if they have the numbing spray i recomend that ... im sorry im not sure what it is called..
I've heard that too--that the numbing needle is worse than the biopsy. That's why I was thinking of forgoing it, but I wanted to check with you first on how painful it was. I'm thinking poking a solid mass isn't going to be a picnic, but I'll survive. If the endo seems as concerned with the ultrasound as my primary phys. was, I'm going to try to get him to move forward with surgery without the FNA results. I just want this thing out of me already.

Are you getting nervous as your surgery date approaches, or are you like me and ready to have it out?

Closed Thread