It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
(female)

kvgirl HB User
sister had metestatic thyroid cancer... have nodule on my thyroid

My sister passed away 7 years ago from thyroid cancer that spread to her lungs and bones at the age of 43. Our maternal grandfather also died at the age of 43 from a goiter that grew in his neck, was removed than died only three months later of lung cancer (my sister also only lived a few short months before passing away). I had some neck pain recently, went to the doc, had a cervical mri, and had an incidental find of a 1.4 cm nodule on the right lobe of my thyroid. After having an ultrasound they found a few other small nodules. They biopsied the larger one... came back negative. I now have a few swollen glands and found a new little lump under my chin. I am very concerned that there is something there and the test was wrong. I can't obtain my sis' records to know what kind of thyroid cancer it was. I have three children and am approaching 40 this summer. Does anyone have a similar situation or... have a family history like this and persued genetic testing? My doc just ordered a ct scan with contrast of my entire neck. But I think he thinks I am over reacting. Appreciate any advice!!!!

Last edited by kvgirl; 05-25-2011 at 02:18 PM. Reason: spelling

The following user gives a hug of support to kvgirl:
notpeterson (07-16-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2011, 10:31 PM   #2
(female)

famnd1 HB User
Re: sister had metestatic thyroid cancer... have nodule on my thyroid

What kind of thyroid cancer did your sister & grandfather have? What size were their nodules?

I don't like that you have enlarged lymphnodes. Is there any other reason for this? fAM

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2011, 12:12 PM   #3
(female)

kvgirl HB User

Hi! Thanks for the response. I have tried to get a hold of my sisters records, it has been 7 years and they will only give it to my brother-in-law which whom we have no contact with now. With my grandfather it has been 60 years... It is just too coincidental that they both had cancer in the thyroid and spread into the lungs....

My doc is now wanting to send me to an endo at fox chase cancer center... but my fna was neg.... but I do have so many other symptoms and it makes me nervous... What is your thyroid condition? I am really curious if anybody has had a family history because there is a heriditary thyroid cancer... Thanks again!

Old 06-13-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

I had thyroid cancer, I investigated family history, and my maternal aunt, has had thyroid nodules, had nodule removed, and it was benign.....they are looking at genetic testing for thyroid cancer, but each case has to be examined either way.

Sounds like you are in very capable hands, let us know how it goes.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:15 PM   #5
(female)

kvgirl HB User

Wow! That's great that you are getting genetic testing. I know from all of my research that thyroid cancer is highly curable. My insurance will not cover the blood test.. but they will provide genetic counseling. I just wish I had been more aware of this when my sister was still here! I only started investigating this about a year ago. Then when they found my nodule, I began to panic a little. Thanks for your concern! Good luck to you!!!

Old 08-29-2011, 08:30 PM   #6
(female)

Heatherwolf HB User

There is a herditary thyroid cancer. It is called Medullary thyroid cancer. My mom has it my aunt and my daughter. They found by testing calcitonin levels.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:32 PM   #7
(female)

Heatherwolf HB User

oops and I also have it..

Old 08-30-2011, 05:59 AM   #8
(female)

kvgirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatherwolf View Post
There is a herditary thyroid cancer. It is called Medullary thyroid cancer. My mom has it my aunt and my daughter. They found by testing calcitonin levels.
Hi Thanks for the reply. How old is everybody? My sister and grandfather were both 43.... My biopsy was neg but I still have to have it checked every 6 months. Sept is my 6 month check. I just turned 40 and am going to sweat it until I am 43. We can't get any files from my sister, but I do think it was medullary...

Closed Thread