It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2011, 08:35 AM   #1
(female)

eddieman1 HB User
Thyroid issues...help

I was diagnosed 12 years ago with Graves disease and on tapazole for about 18 months. After that, I have not been medicated but have had my levels checked at least once a year and they have always been in range. However, I have had the same symptoms of graves and sometimes symptoms of hypo. I have had fluctuation in my weight 20 lbs quickly up and down and usually attributed it to stress.

Two years ago I had an ultrasound that showed a nodule too small to biopsy. After years of being told my thyroid was fine, I kind of thought I may have been misdiagnosed and did not follow up with another ultrasound until I recently had a miscarriage. Now I have four nodules and am waiting on my uptake and scan results.

About three months ago I started having pain in my neck, jaw and under my ear. I have always had horrible tension headaches and thought it was weird to be in the front of my neck but with additional stress of being recently married and other life changes assumed it was from tension. I also have a low grade fever frequently and painful swollen lymph nodes but I know this can happen with graves.

I am a little concerned it may be cancer after doing research of my symptoms. Has anyone had similar symptoms?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2011, 03:12 PM   #2
(female)

Maxine34 HB User
Re: Thyroid issues...help

Yes, your symptoms and all other symptoms on this thread sounds exactly like what I have been going thru for the past 10 years. I was finally diagnosed with two nodules on the right thyroid and later, after an ultrasound, there was three. The doc gave me 75 mg of Synthroid and I felt more energetic but still not up to par. She said come back in 6 months. I couldn't wait 6 months. Tongue has been swelling for years but didn't know why. Docs' said I was allergic to some meds. It did seem I couldn't take most antibiotics and pain meds. My tongue would swell and right jaw bone would "burn". My tongue was so swollen one night I had to go to ER. They said I had Strep Throat, gave me a shot and sent me home. Problem not cured. Made appt. with thyroid doc and told her I thought the nodules were growing. I felt a knot in my throat, coughed a lot. Couldn't get my throat clear. She ordered a biopsy of the three nodules. The doc who did the biopsy found another "spot" that looked suspicious. Biopsied it. Cancer. I had my thyroid removed May 19. Am presently waiting my 30 days to have the radioactive iodine therapy that hopefully will kill all thyroid cells. I do not know what to expect in regard to the therapy and what happens afterward. If there is anyone who has been thru it and can enlighten me I will be most appreciative.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2011, 07:05 AM   #3
(female)

eddieman1 HB User

Did they say you have Hashimoto's? Since having my thryoid uptake and scan, my symptoms have increased drastically. I feel like everything has spead up, I talk faster than my brain can process sometimes, I have the hand tremors and my resting heart rate is at about 105 and I am taking atenolol. These are basically the same symptoms I had with my initial Graves diagnosis but my scan showed cold nodules and normal uptake for the rest of my thyroid. I have an appointment with a surgeon on Tuesday and hope to just get it completely removed.

Can anyone tell me about the labs below? I do not have my labs from my initial Graves diagnosis but from what I read, the last labs look like they are moving to the hyper side but I could be wrong this is all very confusing to me. I believe the antibodies test they gave me could be active in Hashimoto or Graves. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

These are the labs I have had done recently
Date Description Level Reference Range
8/5/10 TSH 3rd Generation 1.24 .40 - 4.50 mIU/L
8/5/10 T4 Free 1.1 .8 - 1.8 ng/dl
8/5/10 Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies 89 <35 iu/ml

11/4/10 TSH 3rd Generation 1.56 .40 - 4.50 mIU/L
11/4/10 T4 Thyroxine Total 9.5 4.5 - 12.5 mcg/dl

5/12/11 TSH 3rd Generation 0.87 .40 - 4.50 mIU/L
5/12/11 T4 Free 1.4 .8 - 1.8 ng/dl
5/12/11 Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies 149 <35 iu/ml

Old 06-08-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
(female)

Maxine34 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieman1 View Post
Did they say you have Hashimoto's? Since having my thryoid uptake and scan, my symptoms have increased drastically. I feel like everything has spead up, I talk faster than my brain can process sometimes, I have the hand tremors and my resting heart rate is at about 105 and I am taking atenolol. These are basically the same symptoms I had with my initial Graves diagnosis but my scan showed cold nodules and normal uptake for the rest of my thyroid. I have an appointment with a surgeon on Tuesday and hope to just get it completely removed.

Can anyone tell me about the labs below? I do not have my labs from my initial Graves diagnosis but from what I read, the last labs look like they are moving to the hyper side but I could be wrong this is all very confusing to me. I believe the antibodies test they gave me could be active in Hashimoto or Graves. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

These are the labs I have had done recently
Date Description Level Reference Range
8/5/10 TSH 3rd Generation 1.24 .40 - 4.50 mIU/L
8/5/10 T4 Free 1.1 .8 - 1.8 ng/dl
8/5/10 Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies 89 <35 iu/ml

11/4/10 TSH 3rd Generation 1.56 .40 - 4.50 mIU/L
11/4/10 T4 Thyroxine Total 9.5 4.5 - 12.5 mcg/dl

5/12/11 TSH 3rd Generation 0.87 .40 - 4.50 mIU/L
5/12/11 T4 Free 1.4 .8 - 1.8 ng/dl
5/12/11 Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies 149 <35 iu/ml
I have papillary thyroid cancer and have had my thyroid removed. I wish I could help as for as your lab work but I don't understand what all of those numbers mean. I don't know what is normal. I am having 131 iodine radioactive treatment in two weeks and don't know what to expect after the treatment. Friends say my body will be radioactive when I come home and should not be within 8 feet of another human and not around children and pets at all. This is not possible in my case. I am trying to find out whether this is a true statement since I have a dog and my sister is my caretaker. She has hypothyroid too but not diagnosed with cancer or nodules. I do not want to infect her with radiation that may increase her risk of cancer. I am really sorry for your condition. I know you must be terribly confused. I know I would be. I do hope your condition gets corrected very soon.

Closed Thread