It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2011, 04:36 PM   #1
(female)

crowennis HB User
Question Calcium level

I had a total thyroidectomy on Nov. 14th, 2010. Took tons of calcium right after surgery. Discovered in March that my calcium level dropped really low, got it back up. I requested they check my para-thyroid, results came back they are normal. In May I was told my calcium level has dropped again. The doctor currently has me taking 3600 mg of calcium daily. Has anyone else also had calcium issues? If so, what could be/was causing it if your para-thyroid is working normally?

Old 06-27-2011, 01:42 AM   #2
(female)

thyroidpamv HB User
Re: Calcium level

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowennis View Post
I had a total thyroidectomy on Nov. 14th, 2010. Took tons of calcium right after surgery. Discovered in March that my calcium level dropped really low, got it back up. I requested they check my para-thyroid, results came back they are normal. In May I was told my calcium level has dropped again. The doctor currently has me taking 3600 mg of calcium daily. Has anyone else also had calcium issues? If so, what could be/was causing it if your para-thyroid is working normally?
-------------------------------------------------
My calcium also got low. My body was not absorbing the calcium even though I was taking a calcium supplement at 3 grams 3 times a day. I was changed to taking Tums to get it into my body a different way. Dr also put me on Calcitroil (0.5mcg). It is Vitamin D3, which forces your body to acceept more calcium. I am now on 500mg of Tums (3 times a day) and Calcitroil (2 times a day). My parathyroids are barely working. Hope this helps to find a way to get your body to absorb the calcium, whatever your parathyroids are doing.

The Following User Says Thank You to thyroidpamv For This Useful Post:
crowennis (06-28-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2011, 06:20 PM   #3
(female)

blessediam HB Userblessediam HB Userblessediam HB Userblessediam HB User
Re: Calcium level

After thyroidectomy last Sept., I suffered awfully, with cramping and muscle spasms. One of my parathyroids was removed. I went on Calcium Orotate, which is supposed to be good, because the Orotate ferries the mineral atoms into the cells and tissues. I also take Vitamin D, Magnesium, and Potassium. Seems like a lot, but it did the trick. Good luck.

Closed Thread