It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
(female)

CathyLou HB User
2nd surgery - positive for cancer

I just had the left lobe of my thyroid removed two days ago. My surgeon just called to say that the original biopsy they did while I was in surgery was not correct and that they did find cancer. I have to go in next week and have the remainder of my thyroid removed. I wish this had showed up on because now I know how draining recovery is. The first surgery was supposed to take 1 1/2 to 2 hours and ended up taking 4 hours. I'm not looking forward to this. I was feeling so optimistic because Hashimoto's is so much more likely to cause benign tumors rather then cancerous.

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: CathyLou
anxiousagain (08-12-2011), blessediam (09-06-2011), mabent (08-11-2011)
Old 08-12-2011, 02:22 PM   #2
(female)

anxiousagain HB Useranxiousagain HB User
Re: 2nd surgery - positive for cancer

This is precisely the reason I opted for a total thyroidectomy rather than a partial this week. The surgery itself wasn't that bad for me, but the breathing tube they put in really did a number on me. I'm still recovering and worried that I may never get my full voice back because of it. There is absolutely NO WAY I could endure a second surgery, so even though my surgeon said by looking at my suspicious nodule he was leaning toward benign, I don't regret taking the drastic approach the first time around. My final pathology will not be back until next week, which is when I'll know for sure. I'm so, so sorry you have to endure the double surgery. If you're not feeling up to it, postpone it. I've heard of a lot of surgeons who wait 6 weeks to 3 months for the second surgery to allow the patient to fully heal from the first one. Since the cancer is usually slow-growing anyway, you should not be putting yourself at risk by doing so. What kind of cancer did they ultimately find?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2011, 08:19 AM   #3
(female)

CathyLou HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxiousagain View Post
This is precisely the reason I opted for a total thyroidectomy rather than a partial this week. The surgery itself wasn't that bad for me, but the breathing tube they put in really did a number on me. I'm still recovering and worried that I may never get my full voice back because of it. There is absolutely NO WAY I could endure a second surgery, so even though my surgeon said by looking at my suspicious nodule he was leaning toward benign, I don't regret taking the drastic approach the first time around. My final pathology will not be back until next week, which is when I'll know for sure. I'm so, so sorry you have to endure the double surgery. If you're not feeling up to it, postpone it. I've heard of a lot of surgeons who wait 6 weeks to 3 months for the second surgery to allow the patient to fully heal from the first one. Since the cancer is usually slow-growing anyway, you should not be putting yourself at risk by doing so. What kind of cancer did they ultimately find?
The results a got from the needle biopsy mentioned follicular neoplasm for one nodule and atypia of undertermined significance for the other. I'm not sure if the larger 6 cm nodule is cancerous or the smaller 1 1/2 cm. Of course I'm hoping its the smaller one because at my age, that will put me at stage II. If it was the larger one, it's stage III. I'm assuming it will be follicular because of the FNA report. I will find out for sure on Tuesday when I meet with the surgeon. I haven't even heard from my Endo since he ordered blood tests and sent me to the surgeon. At least the surgeon calls me back. But really, shouldn't the Endocrinologist have called at least once, if nothing more then to conform the Hashimoto's diagnosis?

Old 08-13-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
(female)

anxiousagain HB Useranxiousagain HB User

My FNA result was suspicious for follicular neoplasm as well, which is what necessitated my surgery. I too thought that meant if it were cancer it would most likely be follicular cancer, but I've talked to more than a few people who had the same FNA result and ended up with papillary cancer. Make sure you get a copy of your pathology report for your records.

It sounds like you've had a really hard time of it. My surgery lasted the 2 hours they said it would because there was no involvement outside the thyroid for me. As for the endo, from my understanding you will be meeting with him/her regularly once the final pathology is discussed to plan a course of action. I know it's hard, but hang in there.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:41 AM   #5
(female)

sunshinie HB User

I'm a little late on this, but wanted to see how you're doing? Did you have the second surgery or are they waiting for you to heal completely?

I went through the same thing back in May. My biopsy showed it was a follicular neoplasm and my ENT (along with a second and third opinion) said to only have 1/2 of my thyroid out, "chances are it's not cancerous". I pushed to have the entire thyroid out, but lost. Unfortunately, mine was cancer, a follicular variant of Papillary with hurthle cells. They waited 8 weeks and then did the second surgery on 7/25 and I'm healing nicely now. Just adjusting to the Synthroid at this point.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:05 PM   #6
(female)

CathyLou HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinie View Post
I'm a little late on this, but wanted to see how you're doing? Did you have the second surgery or are they waiting for you to heal completely?

I went through the same thing back in May. My biopsy showed it was a follicular neoplasm and my ENT (along with a second and third opinion) said to only have 1/2 of my thyroid out, "chances are it's not cancerous". I pushed to have the entire thyroid out, but lost. Unfortunately, mine was cancer, a follicular variant of Papillary with hurthle cells. They waited 8 weeks and then did the second surgery on 7/25 and I'm healing nicely now. Just adjusting to the Synthroid at this point.
I did have the second surgery - one week ago so I'm feeling ok, just a little tired because they did not start any thyroid medication. I had papillary cancer on a 1.3 cm nodule (so glad it was not on the 6 cm nodule) and nothing on the right side of the thyroid. I saw the endo today and he had my
TSH tested and said I can receive the RAI treatment as soon as I went over 30. Today tested at 39.9. The note he left on my record (I guess since I just started the low iodine diet today) was to schedule the treatment in one week.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:14 PM   #7
(female)

Lucky me HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyLou View Post
I just had the left lobe of my thyroid removed two days ago. My surgeon just called to say that the original biopsy they did while I was in surgery was not correct and that they did find cancer. I have to go in next week and have the remainder of my thyroid removed. I wish this had showed up on because now I know how draining recovery is. The first surgery was supposed to take 1 1/2 to 2 hours and ended up taking 4 hours. I'm not looking forward to this. I was feeling so optimistic because Hashimoto's is so much more likely to cause benign tumors rather then cancerous.
Hi CathyLou... just joined the forum and hope your surgery went well. I went through a total thyroidectomy Nov 09 with a partial neck dissection. I'm sorry you have to go through this again, but at least you know what to expect. I had a weak voice for a while but that is b/c they may need to scrape your cords. Your voice will come back. Ensure you rest and allow yourself time to heal. Once you start synthroid or other synthetic thyroid medication you will feel better too. Keep a diary of your blodd tests and how you feel to help track what your dosage should be. I also take Vit D and B Complex to help keep my energy up. Hugs to you
donna

Closed Thread