Hi, Carol. I hope you are feeling a little bit better right now. I can't really comment on your situation all to well, simply because im sort of in the same boat as you. Minus it being golf ball sized (mines smaller.) I just had my FNA ultrasound biopsy today, and just awaiting the results (anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks!)
Im a worry wart about this situation, same with my wife. The best I could suggest to you, from what others on here have said, and from friends and family, is to just relax. Any more worrying you are doing now is just going to make your overall health worse.
As far as pain? Ive been using the numbing spray you get at CVS (I believe its cloracedine?) to help with my throat pain, as well as icing the area (because of neck and jaw pain.) I cant say that it will help at all, but it might alleviate some of it.
Just a heads up though, my endonoligst apt. was not nearly as informative as I thought it would be. Basically he did some blood work, threw the C word at me, and told me I needed to get a biopsy immediately. He told me about some risk factors as well, and the basic information on nodules. But, he refused to go into great depth about anything until after the biopsy.
Just remember, relax, its out of your hands right now and your playing a long waiting game. Hopefully he can biopsy it right in his office (he could not do mine in his office) and hopefully all will be ok!
Take care and keep us updated