It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2011, 08:37 AM   #1
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: beverly hills California United States
Posts: 6
smw10c HB User
Have to do low iodine. Is whole wheat flour low iodine?

I wanted to know, since I am a body builder and need a lot of carbs, is whole wheat low iodine? and if so how many mcg per serving (a serving is 1/4 cup). Also, do any of you know any low glycemic flours that are low iodine. Thanks!

 
Old 09-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 284
Linda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB User
Re: Have to do low iodine. Is whole wheat flour low iodine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smw10c View Post
I wanted to know, since I am a body builder and need a lot of carbs, is whole wheat low iodine? and if so how many mcg per serving (a serving is 1/4 cup). Also, do any of you know any low glycemic flours that are low iodine. Thanks!
As far as I know, all flour is low iodine. There is a cookbook written for the low iodine diet, plus you can find information online. You are going to need more information than this site can provide!!!

Read the labels and look for "sodium". That is what you are looking to avoid, because sodium contains iodine.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 09-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: beverly hills California United States
Posts: 6
smw10c HB User
Re: Have to do low iodine. Is whole wheat flour low iodine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda1652 View Post
As far as I know, all flour is low iodine. There is a cookbook written for the low iodine diet, plus you can find information online. You are going to need more information than this site can provide!!!

Read the labels and look for "sodium". That is what you are looking to avoid, because sodium contains iodine.
You are wrong about this. That means egg whites contain iodine (which they don't) because they have 55mg of sodium per, yet I eat 20 a day and I'm fine. Sodium and Iodine are entirely different minerals.

 
Old 09-01-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 284
Linda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB User
Re: Have to do low iodine. Is whole wheat flour low iodine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smw10c View Post
You are wrong about this. That means egg whites contain iodine (which they don't) because they have 55mg of sodium per, yet I eat 20 a day and I'm fine. Sodium and Iodine are entirely different minerals.
Sorry...I was thinking about "salt". You need to know if the salt in products is iodized, which is difficult. I am confused as to what you mean about eating 20 eggwhites/day and being fine. What would that have to do with "not" being fine?

 
Old 09-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #5
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: beverly hills California United States
Posts: 6
smw10c HB User
Re: Have to do low iodine. Is whole wheat flour low iodine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda1652 View Post
Sorry...I was thinking about "salt". You need to know if the salt in products is iodized, which is difficult. I am confused as to what you mean about eating 20 eggwhites/day and being fine. What would that have to do with "not" being fine?
I can't have high amounts of iodine lol... Wheat flour iss pure flour products can have naturally occurring iodine without added salt

 
Old 09-02-2011, 04:40 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 284
Linda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB User
Re: Have to do low iodine. Is whole wheat flour low iodine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smw10c View Post
I can't have high amounts of iodine lol... Wheat flour iss pure flour products can have naturally occurring iodine without added salt
I don't know of a single endocrinologist in this country who would tell you that in this day and age. At one time, the equipment used to process the flour may have been exposed to iodine. It is such a small amount, you don't need to be concerned. Remember---it is LOW iodine, not NO iodine. There are many prepackaged pastas out there that you can have. Also, there are companies that make whole wheat bread among other types that are compatible on the low iodine diet. Carbs are not the problem on low iodine.

Like I said earlier, you need to do research online. There are many doctors who don't have a clue about the low iodine diet. Fortunately, there are organizations that can help you with this. Do a search. I feel bad for you that you are going by inaccurate information. I hope your Doctor told you 2 weeks is more than enough for this diet. A week is adequate, but the extra week is for learning about the diet/making mistakes.

There are thousands each year diagnosed with thyroid cancer. Unfortunately, most regular Doctors are not trained in it---mostly specializing in diabetes. Oncologists are not trained much in it either.

 
Old 09-02-2011, 06:05 AM   #7
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: beverly hills California United States
Posts: 6
smw10c HB User
Re: Have to do low iodine. Is whole wheat flour low iodine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda1652 View Post
I don't know of a single endocrinologist in this country who would tell you that in this day and age. At one time, the equipment used to process the flour may have been exposed to iodine. It is such a small amount, you don't need to be concerned. Remember---it is LOW iodine, not NO iodine. There are many prepackaged pastas out there that you can have. Also, there are companies that make whole wheat bread among other types that are compatible on the low iodine diet. Carbs are not the problem on low iodine.

Like I said earlier, you need to do research online. There are many doctors who don't have a clue about the low iodine diet. Fortunately, there are organizations that can help you with this. Do a search. I feel bad for you that you are going by inaccurate information. I hope your Doctor told you 2 weeks is more than enough for this diet. A week is adequate, but the extra week is for learning about the diet/making mistakes.

There are thousands each year diagnosed with thyroid cancer. Unfortunately, most regular Doctors are not trained in it---mostly specializing in diabetes. Oncologists are not trained much in it either.
I do not have Thyroid Cancer, we just believe that iodine is affecting my body weird. I went to this forum because I knew people who had extensive knowledge on thyroid cancer would know about iodine. I happen to get acne whenever I have iodine and my T3 was low in one test but normal in another. I just have no clue what it is about iodine that is causing my acne. It has been exactly a year now of me testing it, low iodine skin clear, medium iodine skin gets white bumps, and it has gone on and off for one year now. And it isn't something other than the iodine because turkey, fish, dairy, egg yolks, all break me out and high iodine, yet anything not high iodine doesnt

 
Old 09-03-2011, 07:49 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 284
Linda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB User
Re: Have to do low iodine. Is whole wheat flour low iodine?

Glad you cleared that up!! From my 6 years having thyroid cancer and doing research, reading texts used by endocrinogists, and attending conferences, and participating in groups, I feel like I know something about low iodine. At one time, we were told to limit our portions of the meats you mentioned. And, I believe to limit portions of pasta and bread (that do not contain iodized salt). That isn't the case anymore. I know at one time they did clean the equipment used to process flour with an iodine based cleaner.

What about supplements you may be taking for body building? I have heard of people taking vitamins that contained iodine. Some dyes also contain it.

My husband had acne/cysts through his 30's and 40's. Later, he was found to have hashimoto's. He still gets acne on his back!! Now I am wondering if his issues are similar to yours.

At any rate, the gurus of the thyroid cancer low iodine diet are not stringent about flour. Now, dairy is another issue. That is totally off limits.

 
Old 09-03-2011, 08:07 AM   #9
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: beverly hills California United States
Posts: 6
smw10c HB User
Re: Have to do low iodine. Is whole wheat flour low iodine?

Thank you so much. Had a blood test and second time though and they say my thyroid is perfect. I might want to see a specialist

 
Old 09-18-2011, 09:57 AM   #10
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Anywhere, USA
Posts: 3
Meigan HB User
Re: Have to do low iodine. Is whole wheat flour low iodine?

My Endocrinologist told me no bread, period, because (he said) wheat is full of iodine. This is the second time I've had to go on this diet for RAI. I've had three treatments one each year since 2009. The first year I had surgery and RAI, but, doctor didn't put me on diet until last two times. He's just throwing everything at it now. I'm just about to finish up week one of the low iodine diet. I will get Thyrogen injections this coming week and probably have RAI treatment the next week. I absolutely hate this diet.

 
Old 09-18-2011, 02:38 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 284
Linda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB User
Re: Have to do low iodine. Is whole wheat flour low iodine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meigan View Post
My Endocrinologist told me no bread, period, because (he said) wheat is full of iodine. This is the second time I've had to go on this diet for RAI. I've had three treatments one each year since 2009. The first year I had surgery and RAI, but, doctor didn't put me on diet until last two times. He's just throwing everything at it now. I'm just about to finish up week one of the low iodine diet. I will get Thyrogen injections this coming week and probably have RAI treatment the next week. I absolutely hate this diet.
Why don't you do a search to find out if wheat has iodine in it? I did...because I thought maybe something had changed since I did the diet. Nope....wheat is NOT on the disallowed list. There is also 2 cookbooks that are recommended where wheat is allowed. Now, you have to be careful with packaged bread/pasta because the salt could be iodized.

I am sorry your endo is giving you false information. Unfortunately, this does happen. You can go online and find help-----it is out there!! There are lots of us with thyroid cancer. This site has only a few of us.

You must have TG---the reason for the repeat RAI's. What is your TG???

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
sister had metestatic thyroid cancer... have nodule on my thyroid kvgirl Cancer: Thyroid 7 08-30-2011 04:59 AM
very scared, have to wait until 9/1 for specialist appt. hand made Cancer: Thyroid 2 08-25-2011 09:11 AM
finally back on meds... Whole body scan questions alltheleaves Cancer: Thyroid 1 05-01-2011 12:49 PM
Wow - I can't believe I have thyroid cancer wordgirl72 Cancer: Thyroid 11 02-16-2009 03:21 PM
Radoactive Iodine for Thyroid Cancer Questions vigormusic Cancer: Thyroid 6 02-18-2007 07:37 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



Reece (19), Linda1652 (11), thyroidmess (8), debmc1958 (3), bare501 (3), Tisha Mac (2), Jamie09 (2), Yannick (2), sman65 (2), kasens mommy (1)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1136), MSJayhawk (941), Apollo123 (855), janewhite1 (823), Titchou (769), Gabriel (743), ladybud (667), sammy64 (666), midwest1 (654), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:29 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.com™
Copyright and Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!