It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2011, 01:10 PM   #1
(female)

Sheilasheila HB User
Possible Hurthle or Follicular Thyroid carcinomas

I have 2 nodules left is 1.8cm x 1.1cm x 1.5cm and Right side is at a minimum of 5cm - I don't have complete dimensions as it was discovered during my FNA's. Both tested positive for possible Hurthle cell and possible Follicular carcinomas. My antibodies test was negative. My thyroid numbers look normal. I have an enlarged thyroid which measures on the right 52mm x 23mm x 27mm and on the left 40mm x 15mm x 16mm. I have been scheduled for a thyroidectomy on 9-28-11. Do you think this is necessary or should we take a wait and see approach to see if they get bigger? I hate to lose my thyroid when it appears to be working. Has anyone been in a similar predictament? If it isn't Hashimotos (which the antibodies test suggest it is not) and if it is not cancer, is there some other condition this might be??? Any and all input is appreciated. Also, if it is cancer, will they also take my lymph nodes??? This is just such a kick in the gut....

Old 09-01-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Possible Hurthle or Follicular Thyroid carcinomas

It's common for fear, especially fear of cancer, to prevent you from going forward and doing what you have to do. But with a suspicion of hurthle cell, you can't play around, you have to get this out sooner rather than later, because if it is cancer, and it grows, in hurthle cell, it can spread and be tougher to treat.

Please find a fantastic thyroid surgeon, and get these nodules out and tested----a healthy organ does not grow tumors---nodules are tumors and masses, they just use the nice word "nodule" but in your case, this should be taken seriously. You have something larger than your thyroid, growing on your thyroid.

You are doing the right thing having the surgery. I had thyroid cancer and my blood work was perfect and I felt fine. You will do great, take care of it, and it would be great if it's benign, it might be, but if it is benign, it seems like the cells are mutating. So be safe, and get it out. It's not a bad surgery. Hope all goes well!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #3
(female)

Sheilasheila HB User

Reece, thank you for your reply. You are right....fear is my biggest problem. The person I have doing this surgery is a very skilled ent surgeon about an hour from where I live. He is trained in Divinci Robotics surgery which is supposed to be more accurate and I know people come from out of state for his expertise. I have to let go of this fear and do what needs done - and I had never looked at it from the perspective you gave me. That it is growing tumors or masses - not just cute little nodules as the net makes it sound. I drew 5 centimeters on a piece of paper - that seems pretty big when you do that. Thank you for your wisdom and for telling me it isn't that awful. The surgery itself probably is not as bad as I think it is.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:54 AM   #4
(female)

Lucky me HB User

I had a 6.2 cm mass and a seemingly functioning thyroid. I opted for a thyroidectomy and they also did a partial neck dissection... good thing as I had thyroid cancer and also it was into 3 lymph nodes... then I took the radioactive iodine treatment.. almost two years later I feel great. Feeling than before sugery in fact.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:53 PM   #5
(female)

Sheilasheila HB User

Thanks for sharing your story - that reassures me that I need to proceed no matter what. I am so happy to hear you feel better than before! That gives me even more hope!

Last edited by mod85; 10-08-2011 at 11:41 PM.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:35 PM   #6
(female)

lorrainep HB User

Hi, I'm new here . I was diagnosed with papillary carcinoma variant hurthle cell and had my thyroid out in April. They took 2 months to diagnose it, the biggest tumour was over 3cm on the left side and I had multiple ones on the right.I had been hypo for 10 years and been on erfa for 5 (armor) I was terrified to have a TT but have felt great ever since as well as lost weight, I can't believe I was actually considering NOT having the surgery. I read about so many horror stories about having no thyroid I really didn't want it done. The tumour had grown down into my chest and was resting on my aorta.I was supposed to have RAI in September but they had run out of thyrogen and I wasn't in a position to come off my thyroid medication. My Dr. got hold of some and now I'm scheduled to have it next month.
I'm scared of the RAI but have done lots of research and my dr is great and has been doing this for 25 years.
I had a really quick recovery and no side effects after TT, i think that was due to being on erfa and not synthroid. The only real side effects was I broke out all over my face about a week after surgery, I looked like a spotty teenager at 45 but I think that was the anesthetic. When I was searching for some positive TT experiences I couldn't find any, only ppl saying they wished they had never had it done, I'm so happy I had it done, I feel better than I did in years

Closed Thread