It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #1
(female)

lizabet61 HB User
Do not give up!

I have had my eyes opened over the past month to just how little some doctors care about their patients. I have fought "fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, obesity, mild depression, intolerance to cold, dry brittle hair, horrific and heavy menstruation, infertility, general malaise, brain fog, migraines and I could go on and on for years. Guess what it was diagnosed as... You need to lose weight, calm down, all your labs and vital signs are normal, your EKG is fine, CXR fine. You are fine. So I quietly lived and suffered with my symptoms and didn't bother the docs unless I had an infection or needed surgery. After my 4th CT scan to monitor my lung nodule, that hasn't grown and is "nothing" so far. I went for my yearly visits, mammogram, pap, labs and was once again told I was "Fine" Just try to lose weight, and keep on trying to exercise (yeah right I might make it 3 minutes on the treadmill) I can't believe I actually apologized for crying with one doc after telling him I don't know what is wrong, but I AM SICK! He said to call in two weeks if I didn't feel better. I ended up noticing a lump in my neck, went to a totally new doc that took me to surgery to remove a 1.8 cm papillary cancer with a follicular variant. Yep, my labs were normal, except for a Thyroglobulin over 150! Since then I have been a chart left on a desk while the doc went to a conference and forgot to set up my RAI in her excitement... then went to NP because I am really feeling hypo and my arms are going numb so I can make sure I am ok and "just HYPOthyroid" and to get a new endocrinology referral since the first one was a jerk. So I can 3 times after waiting patiently 24 extra hours for lab results. I call and ask to speak to a real person not a voice machine and am told my NP won't be back until Monday, and the referral wasn't sent for the new endo, she couldn't give me my labs because they hadn't been reviewed yet!!!! and wouldn't be until Monday!!! I demanded that the MD of the office review my results and fax them immediately (3 PM) or I would see tehe at 4 PM. You guessed it, I drove 25 minutes, angry and anxious to see if my TSH was even close to being where it need to be for RAI, and STILL was spoken to rudely and no results were released. I said my piece to the nurse in front of the waiting room patients and told them I would be requesting my records when I found a doctor that deserved to take care of me... It felt so good to speak my mind. I told her I have cancer, yes it is THYROID cancer, but it is MY cancer. I felt so empowered. I called my surgeon to give me a referral to another doctor, so hopefully the next one will have a heart. At 6:30 PM the MD called with my results and acted rather flabbergasted that I knew more about my results that he did. I was excited that my TSH was 88 5 days ago, I am ready for RAI for sure. I asked about my Thyroglobulin and Thyroglobulin antibodies then proceeded to tell him what I thought about all the times he had told me "Your labs are normal. I encouraged him to reread his hypocratic oath and to listen in the future to a patients complaint. To follow up and not leave the patient in the dark. To remember it is a human being with emotions and feelings! He thanked me for the advice. I think he got the message,Then he assured me he would fax me my results Monday morning so I can share them with the next MD I allow the privilege of caring for me. I have always been a silent patient that trusted teh doctor. I am a RN taught to respect teh great and mighty physician. I have learned they are human and need to be reminded what the goal is. To care, to listen, to do no harm. I was harmed... for 3 days I was anxious, stressed, I explained my urgency to seek a new Endo so I could get my RAI closer to home. I learned I MUST be aggressive in my care and treatment and stay on top of the docs to get things accomplished. There are amazing practitioners out there, I pray I find one. For the rest, reread your OATH and decide if you are in the right profession. If not, we don't need you, find something else to do. Let's fight all cancer's, all illnesses together. Just listen to us! If your doctor isn't taking care of YOU, find another one. IT IS YOUR RIGHT to great healthcare!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread