It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
(female)

sunshinie HB User
? on pressure/swelling in neck 3 months post-op

I had a completion thyroidectomy & neck dissection on July 25th for papillary thyroid cancer. I'm currently on 150 mcg Snythroid & my first round of bloodwork (5 weeks ago) looked pretty good. My problem is that in the last week or so, I'm feeling pressure in that area again, similar to what I felt initially - like my seatbelt is pressing tight on there (and it isn't), or I have a tight shirt on or something.

I guess my question is, could this still be swelling, 13 weeks post-op? My second surgery was 8 weeks after the first, and the surgeon said I was still very swollen inside, he couldn't see some lymph nodes because of it. But I didn't have this sensation before.

Has anyone experienced this? My next bloodwork is in 4 weeks & my Endo appt is in 5 weeks.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: ? on pressure/swelling in neck 3 months post-op

Yes, I believe you can have swelling many months later---even 6 months or more from other types of surgeries as well. You can try advil/motrin if you are uncomfortable to see if that helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
(female)

sunshinie HB User
Re: ? on pressure/swelling in neck 3 months post-op

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Yes, I believe you can have swelling many months later---even 6 months or more from other types of surgeries as well. You can try advil/motrin if you are uncomfortable to see if that helps.
Thanks for your response! It worried me since it's the same feeling that prompted me to go to the doctor in the first place. I didn't notice it since my first surgery, back in May. I doubt it could be anything serious, and am thinking maybe some swelling is finally going down; therefore I'm feeling more? Who knows. I have a follow-up with the surgeon & the endo next month, so I'll try to sit tight until then.

Closed Thread