It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2011, 01:59 PM   #1
(female)

jenhaley4280 HB User
low iodine diet

I was diagosed 6 years ago, I am having a scan next week and my doc put me on a low iodine diet, I don't remember ever having to do this before so it's new to me. I have done some research but one site will say something is ok and another is not. My question is mostly about flour/pasta. If something does not contain salt, does that mean it's iodine free? What do I look for to know if it's iodine? I've been on a week and feel I'm doing pretty good, I just don't want to screw it up by accident...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
(female)

fireweed HB User
Re: low iodine diet

The low iodine diet involves more than just low/no salt. Iodized salt happens to contain much of the iodine we ingest today, but iodine can be found in many foods, chiefly dairy products, soy products, and eggs, to name a few. The best resource for the low iodine diet that I have found and used is a booklet that I downloaded from a site for thyroid cancer survivors. The booklet is a cookbook but also contains a nice one page list of the do's and don'ts which you can print out an carry with you. Remember too, it's a low iodine diet - you couldn't really do a no iodine diet but the lower you keep your intake, the better the chance that radioactive iodine will be absorbed by remaining thyroid cells and kill them.
best to you.

Last edited by mod85; 01-09-2012 at 06:05 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to fireweed For This Useful Post:
jenhaley4280 (01-10-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2012, 12:27 AM   #3
(male)

aksteelhead HB User
Re: low iodine diet

I've just come off a low iodine diet for the 3rd time. We also found there was some confusion on what to eat. Fireweed provided some good info. For us after reviewing our Dr's instructions & searching the internet for low iodine diets we wound up simply avoiding egg yokes, dairy products, sea food & prepared food with salt added. The reason for avoiding prepared food with added salt is that one cannot tell if the salt was iodized. The wife got out her breadmaker & made some very good bread without milk.

Closed Thread