It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2011, 06:33 PM   #1
(female)

ddrpr HB User
Papillary microcarcinoma

Hi,
I have a 4mm nodule on my thyroid that was just diagnosed as cancer. It was found incidentally during an ultrasound following my mammogram. I am seeing a surgeon on Friday and am really scared about surgery. Does anyone have this size nodule and did you have a total removal? Also, did you have that RAI pill?

Thanks!

Old 02-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
(female)

mra626 HB User
Re: Papillary microcarcinoma

I too had a very small nodule on my thyroid that turned out to be papillary cancer. It was only 6 mm. I did have a total thyroidectomy (that is the standard approach at Yale New Haven Hospital where I had the surgery). Glad I did though, because it's not something you should have to go through twice in case more cancer came back. All of my margins were clear - which means they didn't see anything else in the rest of the thyroid and nothing in the sample lymphnodes they took. With papillary cancer, the chances are small that it will return, but there still is a small chance.

Since my margins were clear, the doctors did not feel I needed RAI. They caught it when it was sooo small and there was nothing else to be seen so I was comfortable with not having RAI.

It's something that is going to be different with each person and with each case. You have to feel comfortable with your situation and what is right for you. There is no one answer for this stuff!

I was scared too about my surgery at first, but honestly it wasn't so bad. It hurt to swallow for several days (due to the intubation tube) and my throat was just very sensitve to the touch. I was defintiely more tired than usual due to the anesthesia for the most part and my body trying to recover w/o a thyroid. After the first week, I was back to my usual activity for the most part. You have to listen to your body and let it tell you how much is too much.

I am about 9 weeks past my surgery now and feel fine. Didn't have any recovery issues. I was on cytomel for the first week or so and then switched to Synthroid and everything so far is fine. My first round of blood tests show my thyroid is suppressed (which is what you want after a TT).

It is going to be a journey but you have to be in tune to your body and really be persistent with your doctors if you feel something isn't right. You need to be your own advocate...

Best of luck to you!

Last edited by mra626; 02-04-2012 at 03:28 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2012, 04:20 AM   #3
(female)

ddrpr HB User
Re: Papillary microcarcinoma

Thanks so much for your post -- it really helped. I've postponed my surgery to May. My surgeon said it wouldn't make any difference and that's when some of my work projects calm down, so I will have time to rest after which I wouldn't right now. I'm still a little nervous about the idea of surgery, but a little bit less than I was!

Closed Thread