It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
(female)

sweetandsassy HB User
Papillary Carcinoma

FNA biopsy came back suspicious for papillary carnimona. Surgery is scheduled for Left thyroid lobectomy with frozen sections and removal of lymph nodes. If frozen sections come back positive will remove remaining lobe of thyroid.

My question is, how many biopsies come back as suspicious and at time of surgery the frozen sections reveal the lobe to be benign??

Please respond, I need some encouraging news!

Last edited by sweetandsassy; 03-22-2012 at 07:09 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2012, 07:00 PM   #2
(female)

BumpySummer HB User
Re: Papillary Carcinoma

I had 4 FNA biopsy done 4/13/12 and came out benign. Went with the surgery 6/14/12 to remove my right and they had the frozen section review, still came out benign. A week later 6/21/12 found out that they found 2 spots with cancer. Now going through emotional roller coaster and have to prepare myself for the 2nd surgery to remove the remainder thyroid and do RAI therapy.

It just shows that even with biopsy and frozen testing .. it's still not clear.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #3
(female)

sweetandsassy HB User

I agree with you that FNA biopsy are not 100% clear. I had surgery in April to remove the left lobe and had frozen sections performed to diagnose papillary carcinoma. During surgery the frozen sections came back as follicular and appeared to be benign, so only the left lobe was removed. A week later pathology report came back that it was indeed follicular thyroid cancer. So, on Tuesday i had a completion thyroidectomy and paratrachael node dissection. My voice is very hoarse, but thankfully i dont have problems swallowing liquids this time! It certainly has been a rollercoaster ride. I too, have to do RAI treatment that is to be scheduled in September. So I am going to go 2 months without any thyroid hormones... I am going to be going super hypothyroid and I can honestly say i am dreading it.
Do you have to do a low iodine diet before the RAI?

Old 07-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #4
(female)

sdparker HB User

I had FNA biopsy done a about 2 years ago, and I can tell you that was WAY worse than the thyroid surgery. My FNA came back inconclusive and I had the right side of my thyroid taken out. It ended up coming back with papillary carcinoma positive for malignancy. So I had the left taken out as well. The surgeries went very well and I was never much more than "sore." I think the difference is picking the right doctor. I did not go to a general surgeon, I went to and ENT dr. who also specializes in facial plastics so it was minimally invasive. I wasn't so concerned about scarring, that wasn't the reason I chose that particular Doctor, he was actually recommended by several people. After all is said and done, the worst thing about dealing with thyroid cancer is getting your meds straightened out. The RAI treatment is a pain in the rear, especially since you have to be secluded from everyone for about a week. Which is particularly difficult with small children. Hearing that you have cancer is like a slap in the face and it is probably everyones' worst nightmare however, like my doctor told me, if you abosultly HAD to pick a kind of cancer to have, this would be the one to pick! It is 100% cureable and you will be just fine! Just remember treatment course is a little different for eveyone so don't get to caught up in everyone else's experiences. Just listen to your body and pay attention to how you FEEL. Good Luck! And if you have any questions I will be happy to share whatever I know with you!

Old 08-31-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
(female)

godplease HB User

My FNA kept coming back benign as much as i tried. Then i decided to remove my lymph gland as it was the one with pathological changes with nothing shown much on the thyroid in ultrasound,CT or PET
The lymph gland removal histopathilology report came back as Thyroid Papillary Carcinoma.

Funny thing is... i did a re operative surgery one year and half after my thyroidectomy for treating my thyroid cancer because after my first lymph gland removal surgery there was scar tissue resulted from this surgery and my surgeon could not clear the area safely during the thyroidectomy

During that re operative surgery there were 3 suspicious looking lymph gland that also was TOTALLY BENIGN in FNA. and they did a frozen section on them and they were BENIGN. but then the histopathology showed papillary thyroid cancer in all 3 of them but with micro cancer cells with the largest measuring 1 mm.

But i had another case..While i was investigating that pathological weird looking lymph gland . One FNA said that the look of the liquid that came out from that lymph gland is suggested of something from the breast or ovaries !! and they send me to a whole PET/CT scan and they found this area of intense uptake on one of my ovaries and the doctor told me. I believe you got ovarian cancer that reached to your neck. go treat your self !!!! Then i went to a gynecologist who reviewed the scans ordered more tests and ultrasound. that intense update was just me ovulating in that time of the month .

Yes i have papillary thyroid cancer. but it is something that doesn't threaten my life and i can live with it.

However I truly with all my heart hope yours is not cancer of any type not even the easy papillary cancer.

All the best

Old 09-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
(female)

mom2twogirls HB User

I had a total thyroidectomy on 9/5/12. I had 3 ultrasounds, FNA (biopsy) and yes it was more painful than the thyroidectomy, and then total thyroidectomy. Everything was neg. for cancer until the results of the thyroidectomy came back and it was positive for papillary cancer. My surgeon said he got it all and I wouldn't need any more surgery nor RAI. that just doesn't sound right. Isn't RAI normal with any thyroid cancer even if they got the total thyroid?

Old 09-22-2012, 09:38 PM   #7
(female)

amymc71 HB User

Why did you have a thyroidectomy if you had a negative fna??

Old 09-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #8
(female)

mom2twogirls HB User

Because my thyroid was huge. Over two months it had reached ear to ear, to the base of my mouth and down behind my collar bone. It was suffocating me and causing choking issues. As my doc tells everyone...this thing was HUGE, just HUGE! The surgery ended up being 5 hours so that explains quite a bit instead of 2 or 2 1/2 hours.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:12 PM   #9
(female)

tazbeau HB User

Hi,
Do you know if there was capsular or vascular invasion? Was the thyroid capsule itself penetrated by the tumor cells? Did you have lymph nodes involved?

My understanding, and I am VERY new to this, is that if you are female, 45 or under, there was no invasion, and it is PURE papillary vs. a variant, some docs will only do a thyroidectomy, because Papillary mets to the lymph nodes and if they were clean, that is it. I have seen posts on other baords where the writer was told she didn't need it but could have it if she wanted it.

I hope this helps.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #10
(female)

amymc71 HB User

Well, that explains why!! I was diagnosed in Nov 2003, had the thyroidectomy and the RAI in Feb 2004. That was so long ago in medical years, protocol may have changed.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:20 AM   #11
(female)

mom2twogirls HB User

Thanks! That is good info. to know. I am only 40 so maybe, just maybe I won't have to go through with all of the RAI. I am only synthroid and doing quite well and I really don't want to come off of it for the tx, but neither do I want cancer spread either.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:46 PM   #12
(female)

HollandAnn HB User

Papillary carcinoma is not 100% curable but I understand what you mean by that. If there was a cancer to get, it would be this one. Stage 1 and 2 is at a 100% 5 year survival rate. Stage 3 is a 93% 5 year survival rate and stage 4 leaves you with a 51% 5 year survival rate because of cancer invading other tissue.

Last edited by HollandAnn; 11-01-2012 at 08:47 PM.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:49 PM   #13
(female)

HollandAnn HB User

Even an FNA is not a 100% accurate test. Sometimes you have to have the entire thyroid taken out and have the pathology dept go through every bit of that tissue. Even a needle biopsy can come back negative when actual cancer was a smidge to the left and they missed it.

Last edited by HollandAnn; 11-01-2012 at 08:49 PM.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:34 AM   #14
(female)

maye2k HB User

Gone TT (papillary carcinoma) too last May 4, 2013 and advised for RAI after a month, but due to scarcity of budget I didn't push through for rai yet and still need to raise funds for the procedure. They got this thing from me at 3cm already so according to my doctor I have to undergo RAI. I should be under this procedure 1st week of September 2013 and time flies so fast...

I'm just scared of what might this bring me in the future if I couldn't raise the amount for my rai. Any from you here have the same situation?

Reply Reply