It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2012, 08:31 AM   #1
(female)

mariaclara HB User
Unhappy it is recurrence

hello im from the Philippines and just joined here a minute ago. I was diagnosed with Papillary CA Jan 2008, had a TT Feb 2008 and RAI 150 mci April 2008. I was on 150 mg thyrax and my tsh has always been suppressed
(0.04-.3). Myg tg level (off thyroid drug) was ,.05 in Sept 2008; .84(off thyroid) in Sept 2009 then on Oct 2010 I was requested to go off thyroid drug again for almost 3 wks to get my tg level, but unfortunately, even if I got off thyroid meds for 3 wks that time my tsh is still 2.5 and my tg was .05.

Weeks ago (June 4, 2012) a neck ultrasound shows this: "NO NORMAL THYROID GLAND SEEN. NO MASSES IN THE CERVICAL AREA. A NON-ENLARGED LYMPH NODE IS SEEN IN THE LEFT JUGULAR CHAIN MEASURING 0.5cm IN ITS SHORT AXIS"

Is the presence of lymphnode though not enlarged (0.5cm) indicates a recurrence of my thyroid CA? My endo said I have to get my tg level in September (3 mos after) then repeat neck ultrasound and a chest x-ry. Does anyone have the same experience. It worries me that it is a recurrence . Do I need surgery to get the 0.5cm lymph node out or could I just get another round of RAI instead. Also how long should I go off thyroid drug before my tg.. previously I took 2 wks off and yet my tsh is still 2.50 (normal). Any inputs is very much appreciated

Old 06-22-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Linda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB User
Re: it is recurrence

Usually, a lymph node is more than 1 cm before it is considered suspicious. I don't read anything in that report that is unusual. Your TG is very low. It would be around 10 (while not on meds) to show reoccurance.

Thyroid cancer is very slow growing, especially Pap. I doubt VERY much that this is anything. You are fortunate to have had 150 mci initially. My endo only gave me 100mci, so I still have TG. My cancer is microscopic, so they don't worry about it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2012, 08:07 AM   #3
(female)

mariaclara HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda1652 View Post
Usually, a lymph node is more than 1 cm before it is considered suspicious. I don't read anything in that report that is unusual. Your TG is very low. It would be around 10 (while not on meds) to show reoccurance.

Thyroid cancer is very slow growing, especially Pap. I doubt VERY much that this is anything. You are fortunate to have had 150 mci initially. My endo only gave me 100mci, so I still have TG. My cancer is microscopic, so they don't worry about it.
thanks linda. how long should I go off thyroid meds before my tg blood test. Before, it would only take me 2 wks off and im already hypo but a a year ago I went off thyroid drug for 2 wks to get my tg level but my tsh is still 2.50 and my tg is .03 ang anti-tg is normal. How long should I go off to make me hypo so the tg test is accurate to detect recurrence. I will have my tg blood in September and im hoping it would be low. Im so afraid to undergo surgery and RAI again. Keep in touch and Godbless you always.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:15 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Linda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB User

Glad I could help. Have you ever heard of thyrogen? It is an injection that causes our TSH to rise, without having to go off meds. You are right --your TSH after 2 weeks off meds isn't going to show an accurate reading. I think it needs to be 40!! You probably need to go off 3 weeks, then have it checked before having your TG tested.

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't go off my meds, unless I had to. I am seriously afraid of the cancer cells being awakened. I think you need to just concern yourself with what your TG is while on meds. If you do have cancer again, that number will go up and you will know---then you can worry about surgery and RAI. I do believe you are over reacting. What does your Dr. think?

Old 06-25-2012, 10:36 PM   #5
(female)

mariaclara HB User

Hello again Linda. Thyrogen injections is very costly here in the Philippines besides my endo wants me to go off thyroid meds.

What does Dr. think of my ultrasound report. He said its a recurrence of my CA bluntly so I got scared of it. He even said that the even if my TG is low, he thinks it might be other CA. Oh I hate him so much for being so insensitive. He just want me to have my tg taken in Sept (off thyroid meds) and a repeat ultrasound and chest xray.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:53 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaclara View Post
Hello again Linda. Thyrogen injections is very costly here in the Philippines besides my endo wants me to go off thyroid meds.

What does Dr. think of my ultrasound report. He said its a recurrence of my CA bluntly so I got scared of it. He even said that the even if my TG is low, he thinks it might be other CA. Oh I hate him so much for being so insensitive. He just want me to have my tg taken in Sept (off thyroid meds) and a repeat ultrasound and chest xray.
I am so sorry you have a jerk for an endo. One thing I have learned in the past 6 years, is that there are VERY few endos who are knowledgable about thyroid cancer. That is why many of us in the US go to the major cancer centers and attend conferences to learn. Everyone has lymph nodes in their neck. One time, my husband's Dr.wanted him to have a fine needle aspiration of a 1 cm lymph in his neck. The surgeon thought it was crazy and he didn't have it. My US Dr. is an expert who has explained to me the results. I SWEAR you do not have a recurrance, but a normal lymph node. It would have been stated if the shape was odd, which may have shown cancer. You can do your own research---a 1/2 cm lymph is the normal size!!

Closed Thread