It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
(female)

Sarahbe HB User
Voice excersises after a thyroidectomy

I had a complete thyroidectomy about three weeks ago. Before the surgery I was told that my voice may be altered due to trama to the nerve. My question is there voice excersises I could do to assit my voice to regain at least the volume of my voice?

Last edited by Sarahbe; 07-06-2012 at 04:44 PM. Reason: grammer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Voice excersises after a thyroidectomy

Your surgeon may be able to refer you to speech pathologists that can help you---but it may be way too early due to internal swelling, they may recommend you wait a couple of months.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
(female)

BumpySummer HB User

I had my right thyroid completely removed 6/14. Today it's approximately 4 full weeks since. My voice volume is extremely low. People says it's if I am whisphering. The first couple weeks I had a hard time saying some words. EEEEEEE would be brief before I run out of breath. Now those words are stronger but the volume is still low. My Dr. say my right vocal nerve is not moving which is a bit odd but we are giving it some time. Perhaps it's just temporary injured. I am preparing myself for another surgery to remove the remainder (left side) due to cancer findings. I am going for it with or without improvement to my voice. I do hope that it's temporary until I get my voice volume back.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:34 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

TC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB User

Hey Bumpy -

So sorry for what you're going through with your voice I had a TT in 2008. They also "sacrificed" as they call it, the right laryngeal nerve, as the cancer had encased the nerve So I have a permanently paralyzed vocal cord. I had almost no voice after my surgery, and it took several months, probably up to a year, before my voice really improved. I have been very fortunate to regain most of my voice. Many others are not so lucky.

Your situation is different though, as you still have the laryngeal nerve intact. My very UN medical opinion is it's due to trauma, and hopefully you will have a full recovery of your voice in time. Isn't it a strange feeling though?? Try not to strain your voice too much. You could do damage if you strain it too much this early on. Reece is correct - speech therapy can do wonders, but if I were you I would give it some time

Closed Thread