It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
(female)

tazbeau HB User
Unhappy undiagnosed but worried.

I had a pre-op 12/23/11 for spinal surgery and at that time the thyroid nodule was not found.. or wasn't there, but my monocytes were elevated slightly and my RBC and WBC were slightly low. On 8/16/12 I found a large immobile thyroid nodule (23-25mm) on the front of my neck just to the left of center that moves only when I swallow. My TSH, free T3, free T4 are normal but my TPO (Thyroperoxidase Aby) is elevated at 225.39 (normal <5) and my WBC is 3 (normal 4.5-11.) and my RBC is low normal. The blood counts are consistent with Hashimoto's but the not all the thyroid measures are. I fairly sure I have Sjogren's Syndrome, as I have a bunch of autoimmune issues that are common with that (dermal lupus, RA, severe dry eyes, Raynaud's, Rosacea..) so Hashimoto's would fit with that. I am chronically hypertensive and anxious, but in the last year my BP swung wildly high twice and heart palpitations started in. I have had insomnia for years, just had a bad reaction to Trazadone after the first day on it (8/24/12) and tonight am starting on Ramelteon. This all happened BEFORE I found the nodule. The stress levels are a bit higher now. My primary says that I am most consistent with hyperthyroidism, but I am wondering what that is secondary too or consistent with if it is cancer. And from the symptoms alone, will they perform a thyroidectomy?

Cancer doesn't run in my family, and although thought to have cancer several times, i have never worried abut it and there was none. However, when ever it comes to test or odd reactions to meds, I am always in the lowest per cent tile making many diagnosis delayed and medication issues doubted.

Fortunately, I have found a lot of confirmations of my issues on this board. I am seeing an Endo tomorrow as my doctor called and insisted that I be seen asap. I am hoping they will do a scan and I biopsy tomorrow, but even then I will have to wait for path results. I know that most thyroid cancers are highly treatable, but I am concerned abut this being a rare one that is usually found in men and nearly always fatal.

I think I am writing in hopes of getting reassurance and hearing from people who have had similar experiences and have some words of wisdom.

Thanks to any and all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
(female)

tazbeau HB User
Re: undiagnosed but worried.

Saw endo today, not sure it means much but she wanted FNA and ultra sound asap. I am hoping to get the results by Friday, and either know what I am facing or put this to rest. I had to cancel PT for my back as I just have too many appts between this nodule, the back and spikeing BP and just a heavyness/tightness in my chest which is probably due to insominia and stress as much as anything. I really don't have many people to talk to, so figured I would post here to keep it real and in proportion.

The following user gives a hug of support to tazbeau:
godplease (08-28-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
(female)

godplease HB User

I have papillary thyroid cancer and i don't know much about the tests you said. For which type of thyroid cancer are you testing ?

I just couldn't read your post without writing something. I really hope your tests come back okay. I'm really sorry you go through this . You have our prayers & best of wishes

Old 08-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #4
(female)

tazbeau HB User

Hi Thanks for writing. I don't know if I have cancer, but the urgency the docs are showing is a bit disconcerting, but on the flip side, I may be causing the urgency because for the first time ever, I am actually worried. It sounds like you are really going though a rough time, but you seem to be getting a lot of experienced help and reassurance on the board. I hope it is giving you reassurance. This is new to me although I have been through a boatload of bad medical things and surgeries, this is the first thing I have ever worried about. It was very kind of you to write. Thank you.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
(female)

tazbeau HB User

Well now I am diagnosed and am scheduled for total tyroidectomy 12/14/12. The mass biopsied is follicular or papillary but the non-biopsied mass looked worse to me in that it was not a nice clean edged "nodule". Today I had another US for lymph nodes, and if warranted will be biopsied and then if they contain thyroId cells, all will be removed. That worries me a bit. But.. There are really no certainties right now, and following surgery if there is not nodal involvement, then the pathologist will have more to look at and maybe it won't be cancer. But the biopsy path wants this all removed.
Hashimoto's was also diagnosed, and thyroid ca is more prevalent with that. I am now 99% certain that this is all related to sjogrens and wonder if I would be a better fit on that board. I'm am concerned esp if there is lymph node involvement, but more so because it just seems so much is going wrong (back fusions ) and generally fighting medical issues for most of the last 12 years, and the future doesn't seem to offer much hope for things getting better over all. I am socially isolated and at the moment very tired and just needing to tell people who have been through this and understand the situation.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. Thanks...

Old 09-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

The answer is, that you are really going to be okay----a few years from now, it will be a distant memory, a bump in the road.

If you haven't been on thyroid hormone for your hashis, that alone would have been giving you many of your symptoms---including depression which you sound like you might be experiencing as well. Thyroid cancer is curable and easily treatable, not like other cancers at all.

I had pappillary that spread to the muscle in front of it (my lymph nodes were enlarged, but not cancer, but the rai I had would have taken care of that as well)---that was 8 years ago (almost) and I'm no worse for the wear---people with thyroid cancer live long and healthy lives. If that's what you have, you just plod through it, and when you are done, you are going to adjust and likely with your hashis, feel better in the long run than you did with a thyroid and no thyroid meds.

The following user gives a hug of support to Reece:
tazbeau (09-12-2012)
Old 09-12-2012, 10:16 PM   #7
(female)

tazbeau HB User

I tried to say thanks, but I got a message saying I couldn't.. so I hugged. But thank you, Reece, very much for writing and reminding me this isn't so bad.

Oddly enough my TSH, free T3,Tt4 are normal so I expect a bit of a dive. Only the TPO antibody and the presence of the masses indicated a problem. I had an awful time after the biopsy.

It isn't the cancer as much as the whole of the recent past that is wearing me out. It seems unrelenting and I am definitely losing it in terms of patience for all the things and mistakes that have taken place this month. Hopefully, I will regain some stability after this is resolved, but I still have unrelated issues and very painful issues to deal with and more coming my way. I just wish I would get a pause. SO many surgeries.. so may adjustments, so many losses.

I am sure I am depressed and no amount of medication or hormone replacement is going to change the facts. I keep trying to change the way I look at things. I wish there was a whine button they could remove. I need to recognize that with all that has happened in the last few years, it is part of life. Overall, certainly compared to life in some countries and even to so many lifes here in the USA, I have been lucky. This month.. these last 20 years actually, have been filled with deaths, and injury and loss. I am struggling with knowing all that, not getting past the grief, and dealing with what is still to come. But who on this board hasn't dealt with all that and more. Physical pain is a hard lens to look through. It certainly colors my thoughts.

Last edited by tazbeau; 09-12-2012 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Typos

Closed Thread

Tags
anxiety, autoimmune, insomnia, sjogren's, thyroid