It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #1
(female)

winnie451 HB User
Question Really overwhelmed - inconclusive but "suspicious of malignancy"

Hi everyone. I just recently had a FNA (8 needles no numbing-) to biopsy two suspicious masses in my left lobe. One mass is over 4cm and one is buried deep. I am 39 and otherwise very healthy. My blood work came back "within normal range" but the ultrasound revealed that the two nodules were both were hypoechoic and hypervascular. What is driving me nuts is that my biopsy was inconclusive but suspicious for malignancy. What does this mean? Do I have cancer or not??? (BTW, my symptoms aside from the big mass have been sudden unexplained weight gain and major fatigue).

I was basically told I need to meet with a surgeon (left lobe had to be removed anyway because of the size of the mass) and they need to do a full tissue biopsy to know if I have cancer or not.

I realize I can opt to have the lobectomy, and if it is cancer, go back for a 2nd surgery, or simply have a TT and remove the thyroid all together. I am scared out of my mind even though I know that it is a treatable cancer. But I think I am going to elect to just have the entire thyroid removed rather than subject myself to 2 surgeries - especially since I'll be on synthroid either way.

What is the recovery like after the thyroidectomy?

Please help!!!

Old 10-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Really overwhelmed - inconclusive but "suspicious of malignancy"

Oh yeah, I would definitely push the surgeon to take out as much as safely possible, because if something grows that large on one side, it can do it on the other side as well in the future.

This might not be cancer, sometimes these things grow on thyroids and just grow out of control and have to be removed. I had thyroid cancer almost 8 years ago, and my surgery was pretty easy, and then I had to do RAI because of the size and invasion of my tumor into the muscle in front of it. RAI is taking a pill to destroy any remnant thyroid tissue in your body to avoid a recurrence.

I hope you find a really great surgeon that does many thyroid surgeries each week.

You will be fine, even if it were cancer, it's usually curable and easily treatable, not at all like other cancers.

Take it one step at a time, don't get ahead of yourself, ---you will be fine, this is no killer. Keep us posted!

The following user gives a hug of support to Reece:
winnie451 (10-12-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
(female)

winnie451 HB User

Thank you so much Reece!!! I really appreciate your advice!!!

I met with the surgeon today (who is top-notch and came highly recommended by everyone i have talked to). He strongly recommends that I do the lobectomy, and if it is cancer, he will bring me right back in for the remaining lobe. As of right now, he said there is only a 15-20% chance that it is follicular carcinoma based upon my path report. He then explained that there were too many risks with a TT to surrounding tissue (parathyroid, windpipe, vocal cords, etc) and that it is unnecessary to take that risk unless we know it is cancer - then I have no choice but to have the rest of the tissue removed.

He also explained that given the size of my mass (4.6 cm) that he will be removing 60% of my thyroid anyway. Honestly, my head is still swimming from all of this. I told him that if he opens me up and the tissue looks cancerous, to just go ahead and remove everything. So now I just have to wait for my surgery date- which is currently Nov. 26 and hope that they can squeeze me in earlier if there is a cancellation. I am just so anxious to get this thing over with. I hate the waiting, and not knowing whether or not I have cancer. Thankfully, like you said, it is absolutely treatable. I guess I am just anxious to put this all behind me!

Old 10-21-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
(female)

linda417 HB User

Hello! I also had a large nodule (3cm) on the left side of my thyroid. My blood tests were always fine, yet the biopsies were inconclusive. I ended up having the left side of my thyroid removed. They found it to be second stage cancer. I then opted for another surgery to have the other half removed. About 7 months later I was given radioactive iodine to kill off any remaining cancer or thyroid cells. ( I quarentined myself for several days.) I am now on Syntroid, and have MUCH more energy. Everything turned out just fine. What you have to do is take ONE step at a time; and you will find that in the long run you will feel so much better. If only I had known that the surgery was nothing to be worried about, I would have had it done much sooner. Don't be scared; direct your energy into having the problem fixed. Positive energy!! You will be just fine

Old 10-21-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
(female)

winnie451 HB User

Thank you so much! I am just really ready to get this over with and move forward. I really appreciate hearing your story as it sounds so similar to what I am going through. For now, I am just focused in getting through the day and can't wait for the day when my energy returns! Will keep you posted! Thank you again for reassuring me- means so much to me!!!

Old 11-25-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
(female)

winnie451 HB User

Just an update. Turns out that one nodule was follicular carcinoma and the smaller nodule was papillary carcinoma. I had one lobe removed Monday and yesterday, after getting my path report, they removed the rest of my thyroid. still don't know what stage cancer I have but am relieved that my lymph node came back clean. My doctor took me off of synthroid for the next month until I have the radioactive iodine treatment. Not sure what is in store for me, and I am scared, but am relieved that this is all treatable. What is life without a thyroid going to be like? Am I destined to be tired and have weight issues now or is there normal life on the horizon? Will post more as I learn more about what is going on. Just focussing on recuperating after two surgeries in one week.

Last edited by winnie451; 11-25-2012 at 12:14 PM.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Thyroid cancer patients statistically don't usually gain weight. You will have to keep your tsh "suppressed" to prevent a recurrence, so usually you should be okay. I had it over 8 years ago, thankfully, no problems, you will live a long and healthy life.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #8
(female)

winnie451 HB User
Thumbs down Re: Really overwhelmed - inconclusive but "suspicious of malignancy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Thyroid cancer patients statistically don't usually gain weight. You will have to keep your tsh "suppressed" to prevent a recurrence, so usually you should be okay. I had it over 8 years ago, thankfully, no problems, you will live a long and healthy life.
Thank you so much, Reece!! Looking forward to that long healthy life after this!!!

Closed Thread