It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Thyroid Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
(female)

piccadillychick HB User
Newly Diagnosed and freaking out

Hi everyone,

I am 34 and was diagnosed with papillary carcinoma last week, also found out I have Hashimoto's recently. I have 5 nodules, 2 of which were biopsied and both had papillary in them. I was alarmed to hear that it was found on both sides but my surgeon was not. He said chances are if you have it in one lobe it will be on the other as well, even if it is microscopic. He actually said I was "lucky" to have found it with the biopsy as I guess he takes out a lot of nodules that show as benign but end up having cancer after all. The largest nodule I have is 2.2, with all others being between 1-1.5cm. The fact that I have so many is really freaking me out that my thyroid may be infested and it would make my prognosis worse (I have been googling WAY too much). My mom asked him what stage and he said "early" due to my age. I do not have copies of the results/US as I think it would freak me out to look at them right now. I will get copies later. I have my TT on Wednesday. My surgeon was very confident and optimistic and said in a year I will be able to say I'm cancer free and this will just be a "bump in the road." I asked if he would take out lymph nodes and he said no, the RAI treatment later will take care of that if it spread. So, I'm guessing no suspicious nodes showed up on my US. Anyway, as a lot of you know this whole thing is very scary and stressful and I could use some reassurance from people who have been through it! I am confident in my Dr. but have a lack of trust in the medical profession as a whole. I am actually looking forward to Wed so I can get this thing out!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
(female)

HollandAnn HB User
Re: Newly Diagnosed and freaking out

How are you doing now?

Old 11-12-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
(female)

piccadillychick HB User
Re: Newly Diagnosed and freaking out

Hi, I am doing well, thanks. The surgery was so easy and I have had no problems from it. My thyroid was pretty much full of cancer although it didn't go outside the thyroid. The tumors were also negative for blood vessel/lymph invasion and had benign margins so I guess all of that is good. One lymph node was removed as it was attached to the thyroid and it did not have cancer. He also said he checked all the lymph nodes around the area and they all looked normal. They tell me I could still have some cancer in lymph nodes that he could not see though, but I guess that is the case with anyone with thyroid cancer. SO now it's meeting with the radiation oncologist Thursday to set up the very scary RAI!

Closed Thread